Video: Stephen Jones on Dez!

phildadon86

Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense. He only spent a few seasons in the NFL and has virtually no starting experience. I guess he was a cheap hire and Stephen was talking a couple weeks ago about all the QB experience the team has with Garrett and Linehan. Just another coach on the team who has a title and that’s it.
This could be a move that they are making due to the other guys they are bringing in. Next year may be make or break for HC, OC, and DC. And Dallas will be keeping Moore until the new OC picks his QB coach. Maybe

Zman5

Reaction score
I honestly think Dez could be better with a half way decent coach calling plays. although after watching this......

I think Dez may have lost a step....or 3. Draft a stud WR and begin the transition this year

Watching this video, it's sad to say Dez not only lost a step, but other skills as well. Watch how he used to score on quick screens. Even plowing through 2 Commanders defenders. This year, he was getting tackled on the spot by much smaller DBs on those plays.

I also noticed how he caught everything in that video. Passes that were low, high, behind with people hanging all over him.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't want those first guys, I want super Bowl winners. You can have the others.

Using your logic, Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler are better than Dan Marino and Jim Kelly.......I mean, they have rings and that is your criteria

Of course Dilfer with the Ravens and Hostetler with the Giants just handed the ball off practically every down, but that doesn't matter in your evaluation skills.

If a QB hands the ball off 30 times to Ottis Anderson and the team wins the SB, you get a chubby just looking at their ring and you label them the best. Meanwhile a QB like Marino can set every passing record you can think off, but because Miami never had good defenses and he never won a ring, he sucks.

No offense, but you have a very simplistic view of how the game works.................there is a reason you have 53 guys on the roster, its a team sport.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Using your logic, Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler are better than Dan Marino and Jim Kelly.......I mean, they have rings and that is your criteria

Of course Dilfer with the Ravens and Hostetler with the Giants just handed the ball off practically every down, but that doesn't matter in your evaluation skills.

If a QB hands the ball off 30 times to Ottis Anderson and the team wins the SB, you get a chubby just looking at their ring and you label them the best. Meanwhile a QB like Marino can set every passing record you can think off, but because Miami never had good defenses and he never won a ring, he sucks.

No offense, but you have a very simplistic view of how the game works.................there is a reason you have 53 guys on the roster, its a team sport.
And a team that wins a Super Bowl, that's the QB I want.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Like I said . I’d prefer swinging for the fences but there are other options and some effort is better than none.

I’m not looking to have an argument just presenting my opinions. But when presented with rebuttals am willing to offer flexible alternatives and compromises. I’m not dug in on my opinions like some are with Dak.

I understand what you are saying, but we don't have the luxary to use a high pick that is not helping the team right now. We are not the Pats, we don't have the option of using a 2nd round pick to "push our starter".

Like you have said in many other posts, we need elite talent to overcome Jerry and Garrett. Ergo, we need every single high pick we have to be on the field, we cant use a first or second round pick and have them ride the bench. And even if they do eventually replace Dak, it will not be right away. The team is going to give Dak every chance before they pull the plug.

Maybe if we had better coaching we could do what you are suggesting, but as long as we have the Clapper we need every one of our premium picks on the field.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
And a team that wins a Super Bowl, that's the QB I want.

You are missing my point.............the QB is not always the reason you win a SB, many teams have won a SB because of the defense they had and all they asked the QB to do was hand off the ball and not throw a pick........they had bus driver QBs, like Trent Dilfer.

Perfect example, the Chicago Bears...........they made it to the SB despite having a QB with the lowest QBR in the entire league that year in Rex Grossman. Yea, they lost the SB to the Colts, but if they would have won it would not have been because of Grossman, it would have been because the Bears had the number one rated defense in the entire league and won almost every game DESPITE their QB, not because of.

That's my point!!!! You cant just look at the team that wins the SB and say, "I want that QB". That totally ignores how a team is even structured.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You are missing my point.............the QB is not always the reason you win a SB, many teams have won a SB because of the defense they had and all they asked the QB to do was hand off the ball and not throw a pick........they had bus driver QBs, like Trent Dilfer.

Perfect example, the Chicago Bears...........they made it to the SB despite having a QB with the lowest QBR in the entire league that year in Rex Grossman. Yea, they lost the SB to the Colts, but if they would have won it would not have been because of Grossman, it would have been because the Bears had the number one rated defense in the entire league and won almost every game DESPITE their QB, not because of.

That's my point!!!! You cant just look at the team that wins the SB and say, "I want that QB". That totally ignores how a team is even structured.
Seems like we need to be debating coaches then.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Having heard Stephen Jones, I wish he would have kept his comments in-house.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Rotoworld is reporting our "mouth of the south" said he's not looking to move Dez......Way to take yourself out of negotiating a trade, paycut or anything remotely in the Cowboys best interest....this is why you suck at playing GM..........by far the worst GM ever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but we don't have the luxary to use a high pick that is not helping the team right now. We are not the Pats, we don't have the option of using a 2nd round pick to "push our starter".

Like you have said in many other posts, we need elite talent to overcome Jerry and Garrett. Ergo, we need every single high pick we have to be on the field, we cant use a first or second round pick and have them ride the bench. And even if they do eventually replace Dak, it will not be right away. The team is going to give Dak every chance before they pull the plug.

Maybe if we had better coaching we could do what you are suggesting, but as long as we have the Clapper we need every one of our premium picks on the field.
Understood. I realize we aren’t going to folllow my course. That doesn’t mean it could be a better course to hit on a greater QB.

The fact we don’t have better coaching raises some of my biggest concerns with Daks progress.

And I’m ok with giving him every opportunity but what is the time table.. 2018, 2019?? Or are we already locked in?

Sorry, if I’m not all in on Dak.
What would you do if you weren’t ? How would that effect your thoughts? Only Daks performance and the results of the team can pursuade me otherwise.

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
We really should just run the same team out year after year until Jerry checks out, nothing will change for the better as long as this egotistical, self absorbed lunatic is still running the show and thinking he knows what he's doing. The entire football world laughs at him and it doesn't bother him a bit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rotoworld is reporting our "mouth of the south" said he's not looking to move Dez......Way to take yourself out of negotiating a trade, paycut or anything remotely in the Cowboys best interest....this is why you suck at playing GM..........by far the worst GM ever.
Remember Dez held out when we tried to Franchise him and Jerry buckled.

Jerry is a promoter not a GM and our football team suffers as a result.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
2014 Romo
to Bryant 92 of 132 (69.7%) 1391 yd (10.5 ypa) 15 td 5 int 126.2
to everybody else 246 of 353 (69.7%) 2798 yd (7.9 ypa) 23 td 4 int 110.2

2016 Prescott
to Bryant 59 of 110 (53.6%) 928 yd (8.4 ypa) 10 td 3 int 100.9
to everybody else 276 of 387 (71.3%) 3041 yd (7.9 ypa) 16 td 2 int 105.8

2017 Prescott (all games)
to Bryant 68 of 131 (51.9%) 830 yd (6.3 ypa) 6 td 5 td 71.1
to everybody else 240 of 359 (66.9%) 2494 yd (6.9 ypa) 16 td 8 int 92.3

2017 Prescott (w/ all 5 starting OL)
to Bryant 48 of 86 (55.8%) 632 yd (7.3 ypa) 6 td 3 int 87.9
to everybody else 164 of 252 (65.1%) 1832 yd (7.3 ypa) 15 td 3 int 101.4

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Remember Dez held out when we tried to Franchise him and Jerry buckled.

Jerry is a promoter not a GM and our football team suffers as a result.
Si senor.
I get your consistent arguments for finding transcendent talent to push beyond the built-in barriers of this team.

This is going to continue to be a long, hard haul.

Kris Richard for HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We really should just run the same team out year after year until Jerry checks out, nothing will change for the better as long as this egotistical, self absorbed lunatic is still running the show and thinking he knows what he's doing. The entire football world laughs at him and it doesn't bother him a bit.
He laughs all the way to the bank. Shame on us for providing him a seal of approval to continue.

He’s been riding the wave of the 90’s for how long now... Jerry is a master promoter !!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
2014 Romo
to Bryant 92 of 132 (69.7%) 1391 yd (10.5 ypa) 15 td 5 int 126.2
to everybody else 246 of 353 (69.7%) 2798 yd (7.9 ypa) 23 td 4 int 110.2

2016 Prescott
to Bryant 59 of 110 (53.6%) 928 yd (8.4 ypa) 10 td 3 int 100.9
to everybody else 276 of 387 (71.3%) 3041 yd (7.9 ypa) 16 td 2 int 105.8

2017 Prescott (all games)
to Bryant 68 of 131 (51.9%) 830 yd (6.3 ypa) 6 td 5 td 71.1
to everybody else 240 of 359 (66.9%) 2494 yd (6.9 ypa) 16 td 8 int 92.3

2017 Prescott (w/ all 5 starting OL)
to Bryant 48 of 86 (55.8%) 632 yd (7.3 ypa) 6 td 3 int 87.9
to everybody else 164 of 252 (65.1%) 1832 yd (7.3 ypa) 15 td 3 int 101.4
Did... did you just compare Romo's best season to Dak's first two years in the NFL?
Why?