Video: Stephen Jones on Dez!

erod

Reaction score
Gladly....

• Our offense is predictable.
  • Dez is a shell of his former self.
  • Some of our fans are afflicted with the same "Cantletgoitis" that affects our front office.
  • Dez is a crybaby.
  • Dez is a veteran.
  • Dez should be leading by example.
  • Dez likes whine with his cheese.
  • Dez drops balls.
  • Dez led the league in dropped balls in 2017.
  • Dez loves Dez.
  • Dez got lazy after the big contract.
  • Dez runs lazy routes.
  • Dez and his lazy routes fool no one.
  • Dez's lazy routes contribute to zero separation.
  • Dez gon Dez.
  • Bye Dez.

If they cut Dez, he is going to light it up somewhere else if he goes to team with a good QB. He needs an elite QB in order to showcase his unique skills.

He's a terrible fit for Dak. They don't complement each other at all.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No matter how you handle it with Dez, I don't see poking the bee hive until you've got a replacement on the roster. Either in FA or through the draft. Doing it now tells me they're more likely to move on completely than I had thought they were. Or that they just don't care if he gets pissed off. Or I guess maybe he had his agent force the issue already so it's nothing new to him. Either way, I thought they'd play it closer to the vest.
You have a good point. I wonder if Dez has created more of a problem behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
If they cut Dez, he is going to light it up somewhere else if he goes to team with a good QB. He needs an elite QB in order to showcase his unique skills.

Ok. Good to know your perspective. Bye Dez.

cern

Reaction score
as Antonio Ramiro so succinctly said in his speech to the cowboys last year, the nfl is a meritocracy. and dez's performance of late has not merited much. as Crosby, stills, nash and young wrote in suite, judy blue eyes, "don't let the past remind us of what we are not now".

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I once adored Dez for his passion and determination.

Both qualities were lost when he signed that contract.

Then injury began to affect an aging Dez...

Now he's a shell of his former self and lazy. BUT HIS EGO IS STILL STUCK IN 2012!

Bye Dez.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I don't think they say Tony designed the plays. Fact is the middle of the field thing goes way back before Romo had much input. It's a Garrett staple. Garretts offense is horrible, Tony just knew how to use it better than anyone.

So Tony was moved to QB in 2006 season. Garrett was hired in 2007. So if it went back before Tony, that would be interesting since there have only been two starting QB in JG experience as an OC and HC, Romo and Dak. I am not saying that is the only reason mind you. The scheme is not perfect by any means and I have no way to know for sure if Tony did or didn't like short over the middle type passes, just a hunch. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable because of his height, who knows. But there was a definite lack of attacking the middle of the field and the only viable reason would be the QB not wanting to make those throws. And now with Dak, a QB that can't make those throws. I just find it hard to believe that Tony wanted to attack the middle more and was told no by anyone on the coaching staff.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In 1989 we drafted 2 QB’s in 1st round to hedge our bet. And that was after we used the 1st overall pick on Troy. And we ended up recieving 3 picks for Walsh including a 1st rd we used for Russell Maryland.

Did that diminish the confidence we had in Troy or provide more competition and security for the most vital position in rebuilding a team?

I’m not saying we must use a 1st rd pick.

Look what Commanders did when they drafted Griffin also using a mid round pick on Cousins. Patriots used a 2nd rd pick on Jimmy G 4 years ago. There are more examples .

If we are completely dug in on Dak it could be a critical error after what we witnessed this year. We weren’t feeling this last year .That said , I agree we provide him every opportunity. In the end would it be so awful if he became a great backup or provided a solid trade? Or is this all about being Dak friendly?

And that’s a great question . What do you think Dak brings right now . A 1st round pick ??

IDK but I bet it’s lower than what it was after 2016. Just saying...and why we should all have concerns .

There wasn’t a salary cap in 1989. Having to deal with a salary cap you can’t just stash a QB you drafted in the first round on the bench to cover yourself as insurance. Teams don’t trade as often as they did back then and they don’t give up as much in trades. If Dak bounces back we’re going to have to pay him a big contract eventually. The Cowboys only hung on to Steve Walsh for a year before trading him. Aikman had some issues with Walsh being there. Neither QB was happy with the situation and they couldn’t coexist long. I have no issue drafting a QB in the third round or later.

The Pats drafted Jimmy G to eventually take over for Brady but his game continues to stay sharp. They didn’t think Brady would stay at the top of his game this long. It resulted in NE having to trade Jimmy G. NE is so good they can afford to draft a QB in the second round and have them sit. Our first two draft picks need to be on the field playing.

We have Cooper Rush playing behind Dak. Rush played very well in preseason and has some potential. Dak wouldn’t bring a first round pick. With a salary cap we can’t approach things the way we did in 1989. You were talking about swinging for the fences by drafting a QB in the first round and we can’t do that. If you want the Cowboys to take a QB in the third round or later I’m on board with that.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
There wasn’t a salary cap in 1989. Having to deal with a salary cap you can’t just stash a QB you drafted in the first round on the bench to cover yourself as insurance. Teams don’t trade as often as they did back then and they don’t give up as much in trades. If Dak bounces back we’re going to have to pay him a big contract eventually. The Cowboys only hung on to Steve Walsh for a year before trading him. Aikman had some issues with Walsh being there. Neither QB was happy with the situation and they couldn’t coexist long. I have no issue drafting a QB in the third round or later.

The Pats drafted Jimmy G to eventually take over for Brady but his game continues to stay sharp. They didn’t think Brady would stay at the top of his game this long. It resulted in NE having to trade Jimmy G. NE is so good they can afford to draft a QB in the second round and have them sit. Our first two draft picks need to be on the field playing.

We have Cooper Rush playing behind Dak. Rush played very well in preseason and has some potential. Dak wouldn’t bring a first round pick. With a salary cap we can’t approach things the way we did in 1989. You were talking about swinging for the fences by drafting a QB in the first round and we can’t do that. If you want the Cowboys to take a QB in the third round or later I’m on board with that.
When you have one QB on a 4th round salary, and another undrafted, this is the ideal time to gamble on a higher profile QB. I want to draft Luke Falk, in a trade up in the late 1st.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m not saying we must use a 1st rd pick.

Look what Commanders did when they drafted Griffin also using a mid round pick on Cousins.

That’s what you’ve been arguing. You’ve been talking about swinging for the fences and taking a QB in the first round. You’re just wasting time by trying to change the argument. You never mentioned anything about drafting a QB with a mid round pick like the Commanders did with Cousins. They used a fourth round pick on him. I have no problem using a fourth round pick on a QB but that’s not the argument you want to have.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When you have one QB on a 4th round salary, and another undrafted, this is the ideal time to gamble on a higher profile QB. I want to draft Luke Falk, in a trade up in the late 1st.

There’s not even a consensus number one QB right now. This doesn’t appear to be a strong crop of QBs. It would be a real crapshoot taking a QB at 19 and a stupid move on our part. If we’re going to stay with Philly we need our first round pick on the field in 2018. This is not an ideal time to gamble with Philly in the Super Bowl. They could end up dominating the division like they did in the early to mid to 2000s. Our problem isn’t the QB position. We have holes around our QB that need to be filled.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s what you’ve been arguing. You’ve been talking about swinging for the fences and taking a QB in the first round. You’re just wasting time by trying to change the argument. You never mentioned anything about drafting a QB with a mid round pick like the Commanders did with Cousins. They used a fourth round pick on him. I have no problem using a fourth round pick on a QB but that’s not the argument you want to have.
Like I said . I’d prefer swinging for the fences but there are other options and some effort is better than none.

I’m not looking to have an argument just presenting my opinions. But when presented with rebuttals am willing to offer flexible alternatives and compromises. I’m not dug in on my opinions like some are with Dak.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Good. I’d be ok with that.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
There’s not even a consensus number one QB right now. This doesn’t appear to be a strong crop of QBs. It would be a real crapshoot taking a QB at 19 and a stupid move on our part. If we’re going to stay with Philly we need our first round pick on the field in 2018. This is not an ideal time to gamble with Philly in the Super Bowl. They could end up dominating the division like they did in the early to mid to 2000s. Our problem isn’t the QB position. We have holes around our QB that need to be filled.
Spend 19 on DT, then trade up into the bottom of the first and take Luke Falk. I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but i think the array of throws this kid displayed and that he is a senior is a worthy gamble. Word is he is already getting a lot of attention from NE. Senior Bowl is this weekend.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Do we have a current reciever who compliments Daks skills? Gathers might be a good fit at 6’8?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So Tony was moved to QB in 2006 season. Garrett was hired in 2007. So if it went back before Tony, that would be interesting since there have only been two starting QB in JG experience as an OC and HC, Romo and Dak. I am not saying that is the only reason mind you. The scheme is not perfect by any means and I have no way to know for sure if Tony did or didn't like short over the middle type passes, just a hunch. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable because of his height, who knows. But there was a definite lack of attacking the middle of the field and the only viable reason would be the QB not wanting to make those throws. And now with Dak, a QB that can't make those throws. I just find it hard to believe that Tony wanted to attack the middle more and was told no by anyone on the coaching staff.

Before Tony had much input, not before Tony.

You have far more confidence in the coaching staff than I do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Spend 19 on DT, then trade up into the bottom of the first and take Luke Falk. I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but i think the array of throws this kid displayed and that he is a senior is a worthy gamble. Word is he is already getting a lot of attention from NE. Senior Bowl is this weekend.
I didn’t get to see Falk play much . Wash St always on so late but he definitely comes from a great passing minded HC there who I followed at Texas Tech. I’d like to learn more about Luke.

Would it be so bad if Dak ended up being our backup? That way I could continue wearing his gear.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Like I said . I’d prefer swinging for the fences but there are other options.

I’m not looking to have an argument just presenting my opinions. But when presented with rebuttals am willing to offer flexible alternatives. I’m not dug in on my opinions like some are with Dak.

If you offered up picking a QB in the mid rounds as an alternative from the beginning I would’ve been all for that. Dak had a great rookie season leading us to the playoffs and was having a solid 2017 season until Zeke was suspended and Tyron started missing games. He only cost us a fourth round pick and with the potential he’s shown we need to give him a chance to bounce back.

Rush showed some potential in preseason and we can always take a QB in the fourth round or later. We need to reserve our first two picks for players that can start next season so we can improve. That’s the smart approach.