Twitter: Stephen Jones says Big Mac and K. Moore Didn’t Agree “Philosophically”

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
right. and it was a fairly fruitful union. i think mac liked kellen until he didn’t. same as a lot of us
I agree with you.

The narrative of KM was forced on MM because JJ is another Napolean dictator and the Cowboys are completely dysfunctional and we're all doomed. That is not reasonable at all, but it's convenient and most fans like convenience instead of having to be reasonable, and objective and think without emotion, so that is what they stick to. Just like the misquote of "JJ said now we have two head coaches" It's convenient to throw out "oh he's an idiot, and we're a joke because we're the only team to have co-head coaches. Dysfunction!!!" It's too hard to be reasonable and objective and understand that what JJ was saying is that we have two people coaching each side of the ball who are head coach quality"

It's not convenient to be reasonable.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I remember that too
Back in 2020 when he was 1st hired MM stated something to the effect that he has to be able to call plays to be able to install his new offense. It wasn't long afterwards that the wording all got changed. KM was Jerry's boy and Jerry had big plans for him at that time.
Do you recall that MikeT22?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you.

The narrative of KM was forced on MM because JJ is another Napolean dictator and the Cowboys are completely dysfunctional and we're all doomed. That is not reasonable at all, but it's convenient and most fans like convenience instead of having to be reasonable, and objective and think without emotion, so that is what they stick to. Just like the misquote of "JJ said now we have two head coaches" It's convenient to throw out "oh he's an idiot, and we're a joke because we're the only team to have co-head coaches. Dysfunction!!!" It's too hard to be reasonable and objective and understand that what JJ was saying is that we have two people coaching each side of the ball who are head coach quality"

It's not convenient to be reasonable.
Here’s where I agree- relationships can evolve. After 3 years, McCarthy may have felt what he wanted to happen offensively couldn’t with KM. That’s very possible.

Here’s where I disagree with you- the only evidence we need to judge any front office, whether here in Dallas or with any other team is playoff results. This front office- this GM has been the large and in charge captain of this ship for nearly three decades. The results speak for themselves.

And I would be more willing to overlook things if Jerry and SJ didn’t insert themselves constantly in places no other front office that’s winning SBs does. This front office is dysfunctional. I give them credit for getting better in the draft and hiring a better HC than Garrett. But I can’t just act like this is a normal “functional“ front office.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How in the world can a Head Coach work three full seasons with an OC he doesn’t agree with “philosophically”? It’s a miracle this team won 12 games and made the playoffs two years in a row with major philosophical differences.

Makes me think Kellen Moore was kept around despite what the head coach wanted. Or…something happened to change his mind. I tend to think it’s the first reason. But I don’t know for sure. “Dysfunction Junction”!

Sounds like Big Mike told Jerry, it's me or the kid. Choose one.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

How in the world can a Head Coach work three full seasons with an OC he doesn’t agree with “philosophically”? It’s a miracle this team won 12 games and made the playoffs two years in a row with major philosophical differences.

Makes me think Kellen Moore was kept around despite what the head coach wanted. Or…something happened to change his mind. I tend to think it’s the first reason. But I don’t know for sure. “Dysfunction Junction”!

Which makes sense. Kellen Moore has a different style to Mike. Mike is a Walsh WCO-style coach. Moore isn't exactly that. So, naturally, there'd be disputing among them. This is why most normal teams let the HC pick his staff. That way, there's conformity among the coaches and, well, it increases the chance of the team being consistent. What was one of the biggest complaints the past few years? Lack of consistency. Perhaps now we will have some of that and get an identity.

btgboys41

Reaction score
BH, it's crystal clear what happened when Mike McCarthy was brought in. Jerry and Stephen wanted to keep their new project, Kellen Moore, so they forced Mike McCarthy to do things Kellen's way offensively the past 3 years. That project put up glitzy numbers, stats and even made it to 2 playoffs, but it wasn't good enough to help this team advance far enough to at least taste a conference championship game that has been missed for 27 seasons now.
I think this is a smart take and very true. I’d add though, that McCarthy is also a project that is part of a grander plan with no goal. They just want someone they can steer.

Stak78

Reaction score
I only wish Kellen had moved on last year. Kellen has some coaching ability, but he is far from a polished play caller. Mike McCarthy is definitely coaching for his job next year. If the offense is worse, he will be gone. If the defense continues to get better, Dan Quinn will be our next head coach and we’ll be looking for the next OC to come save the offense.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He never used the word “co-head coach”. I just relistened to that part to make sure I didn’t mishear. The point he was making is that he has a coach that is head coach material controlling the defense and a coach who is obviously the current head coach coaching the offense and that is a positive for both sides of the ball. As you are well aware, sometimes you have to look past the words that are said to what he’s trying to say. He’s 80 years old after all.

Now it might be debatable if Mike being in effect the OC is a positive, but he obviously believes so, so that is the point he was making.

Again, I’m not a JJ defender and I very rarely actually listen to either he or Stephen, but I did listen today because I felt like fans summarizes of what was said was not 100% accurate, and I was correct in that assumption.
Good post. Post more often…

Asklesko

Reaction score
It's sad that the organization has to wait until the two bozos at the top notice that there is distance between the head coach and the offensive coordinator, before said head coach and offensive coordinator can part ways

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
right. and it was a fairly fruitful union. i think mac liked kellen until he didn’t. same as a lot of us
There can be all levels of “philosophical differences”. They could disagree on basically nearly everything, which would have resulted in chaos. Clearly, that isn’t the level Mike and Kellen were at.

You could have some small philosophical differences that crop up, like maybe Mike feels you should run the ball more in the red zone, for instance. They would agree on most stuff but see a few things differently.

The second example is much more likely to be what they’re talking about here. Not really that big of a deal but enough to have both sides ready for a different direction.

I don’t think there was any dysfunction going on there… just two offensive coaches who see some things differently. That goes on all the time in the NFL, I’d wager.

In fact, that Mike is replacing Kellen as OC shows that the “Jerry forced Kellen on Mike” crowd is probably off base.

Anyway… not much to really see here.

zekecowboy

Reaction score

Sounds like Jerry forced Mike McCarthy to utilize Moore as the OC.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I have been telling people since day one of McCarthy's hire that Jerry forced him to keep Kellen Moore, Leon Lett, Nussmeyer, and 2 more he tried to have him keep Colombo as the Oline coach.
For every coach Jerry let Mike hire he had to keep one of Jerry's guys. It's hard to swallow but that's the GM/Owner we have, he always has to have his hands in the everything.
He has never let the coaches do their jobs fully since Jimmy Left. Now his son is real stingy with money.
Now I will admit that Jerry seems to be easing up a bit the longer it takes to get back to the SB, he's letting his HC play call again.
Now I agree with Jerry on not selling out for one year to win it all,