Stephen on Dak as a franchise quarterback

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could be right and I could be crazy. You don't want me negotiating either Pap

Maybe we're both nuts but this nut pretty much believes we're one quality QB away from at least 2 Superbowl wins withing the next 5 years with this current young roster.....and one Injury away (Zeke) from disaster.......

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Gotta be honest here, I hated to hear Stephen say this contract stuff on Dak. Not because I hate Dak, on contrary, I like him. I hated it because it tells me that Garrett isn't going anywhere. Who signs a QB like Dak to a big time contract when you might have to fire your HC and bring in somebody else? Nobody does that because you want to allow your new HC to make changes and you don't want him tied to a contract on a QB that might not fit his scheme.

Ok I'm trying to decipher that. Are you saying if the Cowboys sign Dak to a big time contract that JG is safe? So we wait, don't sign and Dak succeeds, then what? We pay more and we don't have to talk about a new HC? If Dak fails, JG fails and we get a new HC? Yeah, I've heard that line before.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Maybe we're both nuts but this nut pretty much believes we're one quality QB away from at least 2 Superbowl wins withing the next 5 years with this current young roster.....and one Injury away (Zeke) from disaster.......

I'm certifiably nutz, my crystal ball is hazy on the next 5 years and Zeke injury shhhhhhhh!!!!!!

InTheZone

Reaction score
Easier said than done, especially with qbs. If you stand your ground then what? Cut him and have nothing? Trade him and hope for something ? Franchise him and pay him big money in one year anyways? It's different for a QB than any other position.
What do you think teams would offer for him if they were considering drafting a QB to be their starter this year? No reason to cut him.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Ok I'm trying to decipher that. Are you saying if the Cowboys sign Dak to a big time contract that JG is safe? So we wait, don't sign and Dak succeeds, then what? We pay more and we don't have to talk about a new HC? If Dak fails, JG fails and we get a new HC? Yeah, I've heard that line before.
I'm under the impression that if you keep Dak and JG gets canned then the next HC is already designated a puppet. Dak becomes protected and the next HC would probably be on a short leash if he wanted to shake things up at QB, like McAdoo was even though Eli needed to be gone. And if we, by chance, go back to cycling coaches every couple of years we might as well call these years a wrap.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
But to me, it's inside the 20s when your OC and coaching make the difference. I mean, that's when you need to be able to call a game and execute, more so then in the middle of the field. Don't you think that that is more of an issue with the play calling and less of an issue with the actual play of the OL?
Now we're getting into blame. If the run game was good, there'd be nothing to blame anybody for.

If the red zone struggles in 2018 showed us anything, it was how much of the success of the previous two seasons had to do with personnel, and how little of it had to do with Scott Linehan.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's my low point as a fan. It just never occurred to me that the Cowboys would ever hand out a franchise QB type contract to a stiff who can't throw the football.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's my low point as a fan. It just never occurred to me that the Cowboys would ever hand out a franchise QB type contract to a stiff who can't throw the football.

24 Years of hunger anything is possible.......:(

Little Jr

Reaction score
What do you think teams would offer for him if they were considering drafting a QB to be their starter this year? No reason to cut him.
My comment was to you saying TEAM'S should smarten up and stop over paying qbs. It's not that simple and just not going to happen. Any other position a team can reset the market if there was a bad deal. Like the cowboys and Broncos did in 2015 at wr. QB is the most important position on the team which is why it's the most over paid position in the league.

GenoT

Reaction score
If you happen to be one of the unfortunate and perennially ignorant, who have continually bought his daddy’s BS with a certain Pavlovian mindlessness, may I present your future:

Dallas Cowboys GM-in-waiting, Stephen Jones.

Enjoy!

Qcard

Reaction score
No. I've watched QBs throw for over 50 years. QBs who can really throw, you can tell. You don't need stats and even stats can lie about a QBs ability to actually throw. WRs can drop balls, run bad routes, lots of reasons why stats can fall down on a good thrower. Dak is not that QB. He is not a great thrower but he doesn't have to be. He simply has to be efficient. He has to be able to make certain throws at certain times and he just can not miss those gimme throws. He does that too much. I know fans will point at stats but stats don't account for those kinds of plays. Those kinds of plays are the ones that make or break the season. You have to be able to make those because they are uncontested. It's hard enough in the NFL to make plays, you gotta be able to get the ones that are the gimmes.

JMO
Therefore I think we can agree that your opinion is SUBJECTIVE because we've established there are no metrics for measuring "a special thrower of the football".

I can name just as many "special throwers of the football" going back 50 years that were not winners.

Unless we have some quantifiable metrics, we'll be left at the mercy of QB whisperer Coaches and fans.

PS. I am Grandpa too...truly one of the greatest blessings

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Lots of people here who have no clue how market-value contracts work.

It’s also amusing to me that people think an “average QB” is capable of going 32-16 without a great supporting cast.

2016: great OL, great RB, average receiving weapons, average defense

2017: solid OL, great RB for 10 games, average receiving weapons, average defense

2018: average OL, great RB, average receiving weapons, good defense

Oh, and everyone HATES Jason Garrett, right? So go ahead and toss in “dreadful coaching”.

There is no universe in which an “average QB” can go 32-16 with those teams.
Gave you a like for not including your usual creepy reference to drinking people's tears.

And only that.

Qcard

Reaction score
I don’t think there is one... I know what he’s talking about and agree that actually throwing the ball isn’t Dak’s strength. But it’s an eye test thing... most stats can’t differentiate between a 50 yard screen pass and a 50 yard thread the needle bomb...
Fair enough, therein lies the issue.
How would we know to give a Special thrower a Franchise QB contract?

You are an agent...Please explain to a GM how to sign a special thrower QB based on eye test without using stats?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Fair enough, therein lies the issue.
How would we know to give a Special thrower a Franchise QB contract?

You are an agent...Please explain to a GM how to sign a special thrower QB based on eye test without using stats?
I don’t think it’s ever an issue because most of the “special throwers” also have great stats. It’s the guys who don’t have great stats who have to try and prove they are special.

lk8701

Reaction score
We should have traded D Law for Rosen and signed Ansah. Avoid 2 cap killing contracts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak will get top 3 QB money, because what other option does this team have? It'll be somewhere around $28 - $29 million per year with a huge signing bonus. The Cowboys have no choice, this will happen.

We do have a choice. Trade Dak, get another QB.

Sometimes Dak plays very well. Sometimes poorly. On balance, I just don't believe his level of play is that difficult to replace for much less than 28mil.

I'd rather be churning running QBs. When we hit one who can be a top pocket passer too, then we think about paying that guy.