Steve Wilks is let go in SF

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Of course none of you get his firing. You are cowboys fans. You are used to what you have around here. The 49ers are properly ran. They try to stay on that cutting edge. Letting a guy go that is 75-80% and hoping to catch lightning in the next guy. Where we hold onto guys until they are at 20% because of nostalgia, or they sell jerseys, or Jerry just likes the guy.

I hope they fire their special teams coach and the player the ball hit on the leg as well. That one play basically cost them the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hard to believe a smart team won't bring this guy in to replace their DC, BUT I'd be all for bringing him to dallas in some capacity. Not sure how that would go over with Zim? But too bad.
totally agree. If I was a betting man, Zimmer likely has a decent relationship with Wilks. Both are veterans and been doing this at every level for a long time. It's a fraternity really. If we brought him in, I bet you he would work well with Zimmer and the players. The San Fran players are ready to revolt right now over his firing. Thats how much they loved playing for him. Wilks is fire. Hes a no BS guy. San Fran has internal issues. Shanahan keeps getting a pass. Wilks is an elite defensive mind. He got this team to the SB yet they fired him. His defense held the Chiefs down all game and the offense of the niners JUST COULDN'T DO ENOUGH. Sometimes its a matter of the better team that day beat ya, thats it. I don't think Wilks is HC material, but he sure is one of those elite defensive minds.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Of course none of you get his firing. You are cowboys fans. You are used to what you have around here. The 49ers are properly ran. They try to stay on that cutting edge. Letting a guy go that is 75-80% and hoping to catch lightning in the next guy. Where we hold onto guys until they are at 20% because of nostalgia, or they sell jerseys, or Jerry just likes the guy.

I hope they fire their special teams coach and the player the ball hit on the leg as well. That one play basically cost them the game.
they haven't won a SB since 1994. Longer than Dallas. But ok

shabazz

Reaction score
What are the odds Rex Ryan becomes the Niners next DC and their defense embarrasses our offense to an even higher level?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
totally agree. If I was a betting man, Zimmer likely has a decent relationship with Wilks. Both are veterans and been doing this at every level for a long time. It's a fraternity really. If we brought him in, I bet you he would work well with Zimmer and the players. The San Fran players are ready to revolt right now over his firing. Thats how much they loved playing for him. Wilks is fire. Hes a no BS guy. San Fran has internal issues. Shanahan keeps getting a pass. Wilks is an elite defensive mind. He got this team to the SB yet they fired him. His defense held the Chiefs down all game and the offense of the niners JUST COULDN'T DO ENOUGH. Sometimes its a matter of the better team that day beat ya, thats it. I don't think Wilks is HC material, but he sure is one of those elite defensive minds.
100%. Plus who better to help this team beat SF.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Heh if you're going to fire a defensive coordinator for not stopping Patrick Mahomes, then every defensive coordinator would have to be fired.

Jayinem

Reaction score
What are the odds Rex Ryan becomes the Niners next DC and their defense embarrasses our offense to an even higher level?
Our last 3 meetings including two playoff games our offense scored 10, 12 and 17 points against them. Not sure it can get too much worse.

Majic

Reaction score
If you read the 49ers message boards, they have been seriously unimpressed with Wilks. They feel the DEF was under achieving and many thought he should have been fired earlier in the season. In Arizona he inherited a top DEF and tried to convert it to a 4-3 with disastrous results and was fired.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Shanahan will never ever hire Rex Ryan. Talk about oil and water. I expect it to be Vrabel or Belichick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what other information comes out over time. Definitely some personality friction or something based on body language.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if anyone still watches Espn, watch "Get up" where they talk about Wilks' firing. They did a side by side comp with Him and Demeco Ryans stats last year with the Niners. Wilks was actually BETTER than Ryans when he was with San Fran. Don't no one tell me Wilks and the niners D regressed. Nope. It didn't happen. Plain and simple, Shanahan scapegoated this guy. I'm no Espn fan, but I gotta agree with this. They brought the receipts this time too. I will say this much. The players loved WILKS. Also, I think Coaches on staff feel threatened by him in some way. Maybe his bedside manor or something. But the players sure love the guy. This bears watching, where he goes next. What the niners do too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Lets say this, if Shanahan couldn't deal with Wilks, he sure aint gonna handle Rex Ryan. I guess he wants a meek Puppet as his DC.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Call Wilks, get as many good coaches in the building as you can to overcome the Jones deficit.