Steve Wilks is let go in SF

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The 49ers offense was non-existent for like 35 mins after a good start. Just disappeared. Reminded me of the Cowboys in a big game. Shanahan deserves some of the blame. I thought the 49ers D was solid but I guess they didn't look great down the stretch. Definitely a scapegoat thing.
And their defense was non existent from the middle of 3rd qtr to the end of overtime, which was about 37 some odd minutes. I don't get how the defense gets a pass for this yet people aren't giving the offense any kind of pass for when they bogged down. Each unit bogged down opposite of each other, which was their undoing. You have to be on top of your game for all 60min on both sides of the ball to beat KC in the Mahomes era. If the defense is melting down, the offense has to show up. Brady did this in 2018 when Mahomes offense was heating up and scoring on every possession. If the offense is bogging down, then the defense needs to step in and make some stops. This didn't happen for SF. They allowed KC to score on their final 4 possessions. KC's defense stepped up and stopped SF on their final 2 drives to only allow FGs. You can't just get credit for only playing well a certain portion of the game. Wjhy couldn't SF's defense step up on KC's final 2 possessions? I get it, it was only 3pt leads but they blew them both times at the end. At the very least, stop KC to a FG in OT and get the ball back for your offense to only need a FG to win.

Shanahan also called a timeout when he didn't like the defensive alignment. It seems like they have lost trust in Wilks and the end of that Super Bowl was the final straw. They were nowhere near the dominant force they used to be. Detroit and Green Bay exposed that defense, they just didn't have the QBs to finish it off. KC exposed it and had the QB to finish it off. They felt they needed a fresh voice and vision on defense,.

stiletto

Reaction score
And their defense was non existent from the middle of 3rd qtr to the end of overtime, which was about 37 some odd minutes. I don't get how the defense gets a pass for this yet people aren't giving the offense any kind of pass for when they bogged down. Each unit bogged down opposite of each other, which was their undoing. You have to be on top of your game for all 60min on both sides of the ball to beat KC in the Mahomes era. If the defense is melting down, the offense has to show up. Brady did this in 2018 when Mahomes offense was heating up and scoring on every possession. If the offense is bogging down, then the defense needs to step in and make some stops. This didn't happen for SF. They allowed KC to score on their final 4 possessions. KC's defense stepped up and stopped SF on their final 2 drives to only allow FGs. You can't just get credit for only playing well a certain portion of the game. Wjhy couldn't SF's defense step up on KC's final 2 possessions? I get it, it was only 3pt leads but they blew them both times at the end. At the very least, stop KC to a FG in OT and get the ball back for your offense to only need a FG to win.

Shanahan also called a timeout when he didn't like the defensive alignment. It seems like they have lost trust in Wilks and the end of that Super Bowl was the final straw. They were nowhere near the dominant force they used to be. Detroit and Green Bay exposed that defense, they just didn't have the QBs to finish it off. KC exposed it and had the QB to finish it off. They felt they needed a fresh voice and vision on defense,.
Yeah Shanahan said it just was not "a good fit" yesterday. As long as he has the power to decide, that's good I guess. You know our current HC won't have that luxury.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I had a feeling after seeing Shanahan call a TO to change a call on D. The 49ers D was terrible and lucky vs. the Lions. Better in the SB.
Yep , it was the play that he overruled DC . I think he made the DC scapegoat for letting KC score before end of regulation and again OT.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
:facepalm:

In a hurry, our fantasy football owner/GM/fishrot leader should’ve waited to see how this rumor played out.

This guy was totally scapegoated, he would’ve been totally looking to go ALL IN against SF next season! Ugh
Wait I thought the narrative was we waited too long?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I thought he didn’t do a good job against GB and Detroit. That’s what got him canned IMO.
Right

Also, the Minny game comes to mind.

The 49ers had the best defensive roster in the league-- better than last year. But they were not as good as last year.

A SB win could have saved his job, but losing the SB didn't cause his exit.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Is he a good coach, or does he have good players that are hungry and wanted to be successful??? In a successful environment not like in texas

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Our future DL COACH? Passing game coordinator?

This is the man to hire. Not pathetic Paul Guenther. Wilks has actually done something neither Zimmer or Guenther has not done...lead defenses to the Super Bowl (Panthers and 49ers).

If Rivera was hired Steve Wilks would be in the building today.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. So did Romo and Nance.
The HC absolutely can override the DC.
You may have watched the game but you certainly
weren't listening. Good grief.
mr Robo--- i watched closely again the play design and timeout....i want to officially apologize deeply for i was dead wrong and you were correct...and i apologize

for doubling down on my wrong statement to you...bottom line i was wrong and you were correct on that analysis of what occured on the specific set of plays...

i hope to be better equipped with the facts before i open my big mouth going forward:oops:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From U.S.A. Today:
Wilks led the 49ers defense for just one season. The 49ers had the NFL’s eighth ranked total defense under Wilks in 2023. But San Francisco had the NFL’s top defensive unit the previous season and a top-three defense in 2021.
From the AP:
The results were mixed during the regular season. Wilks was forced to move from the booth to the field following a three-game losing streak in October, and San Francisco’s production on defense dropped marginally in the regular season.

So as fans (and some here, too) recoil at one man's firing, you have to remember that other teams, unlike the Cowboys, get rid of those who don't bring their A game to the pig iron.
mr Gimme---no doubt we ( cowboys mgmnt ) could learn a thing or two about this firing....but will we?.....about as likely as cowboys "going all in" as Jerry

promised this upcoming season....we all get tired of the smoke and mirrors while Jones's pad an enourmous bank account on the backs of many month

to month fans who want to believe the constant disinformation scheme Jerry the Marketer provides decade after decade
So how does this work? Do they lose draft picks now?
mr Risen--- it appears 9ers can find a franchise QB in very last pick in draft.....i would not be suprised if they dont care what round they get to pick in?

imagine...."mr irrelevant" last pick in draft 2 years ago now worth 50 million or more a year.....and we saw he actually had pretty good game in SB

i mean the "Lights" were never too bright for him....but he believes in Jesus....so that should say a lot???

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Shanahan was desperate to put the blame on someone else, he should have blamed Mahomes for being the great QB that he is. ;)
mr Bflop---and to think i thought Chiefs after 1st half were dead in water????....and i quit drinking decades ago...so cant blame that?