Still hard for Cowboys to win with Jones style ownership

garyo1954

Reaction score
Part of that plan was self-preservation. He was far from being the fattest cat in the league and this perception that with no cap in place, he would have all of the high priced talent is totally without merit.

With the cap in place, he's under no pressure because a lot of the Dallas fans would expect him to buy up all the stars.

I don't think he thought he would be able to buy all the top talent, but he felt the top talent would gravitate toward the Cowboys, much the same way Landry and Shramm were able to convince players to join the Cowboys since they were perennial contenders and the players were assured of play-off money each year.

Nonetheless, he is one of the biggest proponents of the same salary cap that keeps the league balanced and prevents him from taking over the world. Like most evil geniuses his world domination plan backfired.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think he thought he would be able to buy all the top talent, but he felt the top talent would gravitate toward the Cowboys, much the same way Landry and Shramm were able to convince players to join the Cowboys since they were perennial contenders and the players were assured of play-off money each year.

Nonetheless, he is one of the biggest proponents of the same salary cap that keeps the league balanced and prevents him from taking over the world. Like most evil geniuses his world domination plan backfired.
No, that wasn’t his intention.

His goal was to create an environment where success on the field didn’t translate to success off the field. That way he could remain running the team as he wanted without the financial accountability effecting his ways. And become a football celebrity in route.

Tex told him success in the field was paramount in building the iconic brand. Jethro proved Tex wrong. But it took several of these revolutionary revenue streams to turn the tide including his 750 million lawsuit against the league for stadium rights . Which BTW is a revenue stream not shared with the players .

And why he built the largest stadium. It was always about building a revenue generating mechanism not reliant with consistent success on the field . All he would have to do is sell hope with some resemblance of relevancy.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
All you need to know about Booger and how he views this team is to watch his response when asked about fans challenging his running of his team. "Let them put down 140M of their money and then they can talk". That is him in a nutshell.

He bought it. He owns it. He's going to run it anyway he sees fit.

And playing devil's advocate here, in 30 years that 140M has turned into 6B and they haven't won anything of substance in 25 years. Every year, it leads in profit and value.

So, ask yourself who he sees looking back at him in the mirror each morning. This failed and struggling GM or this very successful businessman.

He was denied the spotlight in the first 5 years and has spent the last 25 owning it. Like it or not, and I do not like it, he is the face of the Dallas Cowboys.
Did he really say that?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It’s not the same. Yes, they are making some final decisions . But they aren’t undermining their coaches authority and aren’t the face of their franchises spinning publicly the direction of the team and conducting interviews as such.

This sounds like another Jethro apologist or sympathizer. There’s a reason other teams don’t follow our dysfunctional ownership model. Because the culture isn’t conducive for success on the field.

Are you really trying to tell me that John Mara, Jeff Lurie, Dan Snyder, Jerry Richardson, or Art Rooney don't give directives to coaches?

And what does Jerry Jones talking to the media have to do with anything? Lurie threw Pederson under the bus for two years, Richardson used to talk with the press all the time, John Mara controls everything just like his father did, etc.

This notion that the team cannot win because Jerry talks to the media is nonsense.

kskboys

Reaction score
it’s a misconception cause he wasn’t doing that when there was no cap, yet people believe his checkbook bought those championships. And when he splurged for Deion the cap was in place!
And some still don't realize that he tore that team apart signing Deion and O players.

kskboys

Reaction score
Are you really trying to tell me that John Mara, Jeff Lurie, Dan Snyder, Jerry Richardson, or Art Rooney don't give directives to coaches?

And what does Jerry Jones talking to the media have to do with anything? Lurie threw Pederson under the bus for two years, Richardson used to talk with the press all the time, John Mara controls everything just like his father did, etc.

This notion that the team cannot win because Jerry talks to the media is nonsense.
Huge difference between giving general directives and undermining your own coaches.

Example: Removing the fines Wade tried to levy to keep order.

Another: Firing Jason's brother against his wishes, and removing Jason from playcalling.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Huge difference between giving general directives and undermining your own coaches.

Example: Removing the fines Wade tried to levy to keep order.

Another: Firing Jason's brother against his wishes, and removing Jason from playcalling.

Those owners have named coaches, involved themselves in personnel, etc too.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m late to this thread but here are some things I’ve learned about championship teams- and those that can’t seem to win one ever- or for over 25 years…lol.
  • Talent alone can’t win a championship. You have to have talent of course. But that in and of itself isn’t enough.
  • Coaching and developing players matters- a lot. And having a strong, competent, and talented head coach is critical to winning. In Jerry’s 32 years of ownership, he’s had 9 years with 2 different great HCs. The other 23 years have been with guys like Barry, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett. With no salary cap on coaches, Jerry hiring these mediocre HCs is an indictment.
  • Culture matters. It’s pretty obvious that the Cowboys organizational culture is Charmin soft. This team is not tough. Mentally or physically. Those who say that’s not true are either drinking blue koolaide or have the last name Jones.
  • If you haven’t done it in 25 years, you’re probably out of touch. Besides those 3 SBs wouldn’t have happened without Jimmy Johnson.
Jerry doesn’t coach, block, tackle or defend passes. But he intentionally makes himself THE center of the entire organization. By his own design.

His on-field results speak for themselves. Mediocre at best. Since he puts himself as the face of this franchise, anyone giving him a pass for him making the same arrogant mistakes expecting different results is kidding themselves.

If we ever win a SB again, it will be because we overcame him not because we were helped by him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Didn’t say they couldn’t win. But it’s not an atmosphere or culture which is more conducive for success. I’m sorry if you can’t see the difference.

Sydla

Reaction score

While somewhat true, it would be misleading to suggest that Jerry isn't anymore involved in the football operations than a Lurie or Richardson. Sure they are involved but many of the football decisions that they leave to their GMs are decisions Jerry makes.

So while I don't think it's impossible they could win a SB with Jerry as GM, the reality is there is really no NFL franchise that has the front office structure and dynamic we do other than the Bengals.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
...accept they've done it 3 times. :omg:
More sympathizers using the Jimmy era as a defense for our ownerships results since.

Yes, we credit our ownership for bringing in the right HC and not undermining or interfering with the culture. And we should hold them responsible for the coaches hired, the culture and results since.

Sydla

Reaction score
...accept they've done it 3 times. :omg:

Under a different structure. It's really foolish to have this discussion and not acknowledge that those SB teams were built under a different front office structure and dynamic. When you look at the Cowboys history under Jerry there are two distinct eras - the Jimmy era and the post Jimmy era.

So sure, Jones should get credit for the three SB wins he did get, it's not very logical to not at least admit that since those teams the dynamic and structure of the Cowboys is different. And over that period, the Cowboys clearly have not performed as well as they did under the first org structure Jerry implemented when he first took over the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While somewhat true, it would be misleading to suggest that Jerry isn't anymore involved in the football operations than a Lurie or Richardson. Sure they are involved but many of the football decisions that they leave to their GMs are decisions Jerry makes.

So while I don't think it's impossible they could win a SB with Jerry as GM, the reality is there is really no NFL franchise that has the front office structure and dynamic we do other than the Bengals.
Perhaps there’s a reason the rest of the league doesn’t use the Bengals and Cowboys front offices as a model for success this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m late to this thread but here are some things I’ve learned about championship teams- and those that can’t seem to win one ever- or for over 25 years…lol.
  • Talent alone can’t win a championship. You have to have talent of course. But that in and of itself isn’t enough.
  • Coaching and developing players matters- a lot. And having a strong, competent, and talented head coach is critical to winning. In Jerry’s 32 years of ownership, he’s had 9 years with 2 different great HCs. The other 23 years have been with guys like Barry, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett. With no salary cap on coaches, Jerry hiring these mediocre HCs is an indictment.
  • Culture matters. It’s pretty obvious that the Cowboys organizational culture is Charmin soft. This team is not tough. Mentally or physically. Those who say that’s not true are either drinking blue koolaide or have the last name Jones.
  • If you haven’t done it in 25 years, you’re probably out of touch. Besides those 3 SBs wouldn’t have happened without Jimmy Johnson.
Jerry doesn’t coach, block, tackle or defend passes. But he intentionally makes himself THE center of the entire organization. By his own design.

His on-field results speak for themselves. Mediocre at best. Since he puts himself as the face of this franchise, anyone giving him a pass for him making the same arrogant mistakes expecting different results is kidding themselves.

If we ever win a SB again, it will be because we overcame him not because we were helped by him.
Great stuff Bob!!

You know we should all ask with the wealthiest franchise in the business and with no Salary Cap in front offices and coaching staff we could hire the NFL Dream Team to run our franchise.

Make the Cowboys the top destination to Coach . Pay ridiculous salaries . We generate more than double most franchises revenue.

Great football names would line up to come here especially if Jethro and Son brought in expertise in front office as well. But we will never attract the best on the sidelines or in the sky box with this ownership.

And all fans must admit it’s quite a handicap, hindrance and obstacle to overcome .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did he really say that?
Defiantly. Like most egomaniacs, they have their breaking point at criticism and we've seen his many times.

I happened to agree with him, he was right. He bought it, he can do whatever he wants with it. He planned on being the next Al Davis from the get go and has never waivered from that, even followed Al with suing the NFL. He would like for fans to have that proprietary feeling about the Cowboys, that we used to have, but make no mistake about it, at the end of the day he is all about THIS IS MINE.

Schramm had some faults but he was a master at making us believe the Cowboys were built just for us. I always felt the Dallas Cowboys were my team. Now, I feel they are Booger's team and I am just watching and my lack of passion is a good indicator of that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great stuff Bob!!

You know we should all ask with the wealthiest franchise in the business and with no Salary Cap in front offices and coaching staff we could hire the NFL Dream Team to run our franchise.

Make the Cowboys the top destination to Coach . Pay ridiculous salaries . We generate more than double most franchises revenue.

Great football names would line up to come here especially if Jethro and Son brought in expertise in front office as well. But we will never attract the best on the sidelines or in the sky box with this ownership.

And all fans must admit it’s quite a handicap, hindrance and obstacle to overcome .
Every offseason when I think about what this team must do to get back to playoff prominence, the first thing I always think of is “How are we going to overcome this ownership?”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every offseason when I think about what this team must do to get back to playoff prominence, the first thing I always think of is “How are we going to overcome this ownership?”
Unfortunately after all of these years I’m leaning towards we can’t . Or at least it’s very unlikely unless we have the freakish talent above and beyond our competition. Similar to how we won our last championship. Beyond that, my hope is very limited at best.

And it frustrates me we have so many fans who still buy into our snake oil salesman propaganda every year which fuels his support and continued revenue success. He shouldn’t be rewarded until he produces on the field.

So , bare with me as I will continue my pursuit and quest to bring attention to it as I know for some it’s old news. But as long as there’s breath in my body and the registers are ringing at record pace at the Star I’ll continue screaming from whatever platforms are provided. Thanks