Still juiced about Deuce

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just believe this shiftiness, this acceleration, and the fact it's just hard to square up or grab hold of such a compact tough runner... getting legit snaps behind our first string line (something that almost never happened in his rookie season, if ever)... is going to silence all the naysayers and handringers and nervous Nellies in his 2nd year. I mean, just look at this kid's tape. I'm going to say it... there's a lot of Barry Sanders and Darren Sproles in Christopher Vaughn II.

Just a reminder of what he brings to the table...

Nice to see Bebe blocking for him!

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
He got limited opportunities cuz that's what the coaching staff felt he deserved. That comment gets tossed around in reference to others having lack of playing time, so it should be applicable in this case.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
True. Then again, another part of the playbook is either added or enhanced.

Nah dog. He can and does. No, he's not as effective as it as Rico would be. But life is tradeoffs... and the tradeoff there is that Rico's not as able to break ankles as Deuce is.

So if you want to argue "Don't put him in for 3rd and short," that's an amazing insight that I doubt any of us would shoot down.

But 3rd and 6? He's as good a receiving RB as we'll have on our roster this season, and probably is the best.

Misconception. Watch the tape. Stop obsessing on his measurements.

Those aren't FCS LBs and DBs he's making grasp for air.

I agree. It's not about "using him right."

It's about putting him into a game with your real O-line, or something close to it.

We're likely going to see that happen under the RB-by-committee paradigm.
You stated the counter arguments well.

We'll see....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fans aren’t nearly as juiced about Deuce as they were last year at this time. There were countless threads with fans gushing over him. Some were even comparing him to Barry Sanders. lol This is the only thread I’ve seen about him this offseason.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I watch every play of every game at least twice.

I have no clue what your talking about. When we he ever given any chance? What are these samples?
ok. he is going to be a big contributor this year and MM needs to ensure he has 5 packages a game for him and we can unleash him on the rest of the league.

happy?

Mcsports

Reaction score
Yeah, he didn't suddenly lose his high-tier vision. He didn't suddenly lose his ability to break linebackers' and DBs' ankles. He didn't suddenly lose his ability to go from O to 80 in a flash.

You have to have crevices to actually run through. That's someone else's job.

Deuce is, somewhat obviously, never going to resemble a prototypical RB physically. There's one area where that is a huge liability, pass blocking. In other ways, though, it's a huge advantage--lower to the ground, harder to get a hand on a body, easier to create even relatively tiny crevices in the line that he can get in and out of, and again, so light on his feet, so athletic, it's not just practically impossible to square him up, it's hard to even just time the lunge to tackle because he's there and then he's not there. And one more thing... watch that YT clip above... something I'd not noticed before now... when he gets tackled, it's practically always that he's still moving forward with the ball... even when there's a gang tackle, he doesn't go backwards very often... he's got some Robert Newhouse to him in that way... wouldn't expect that, but I suspect if you break that down, it has to-do, again, with how hard it is to square him up combined with how solid he is... not much meat, but what meat is there is potent.

How do you counterprogram to compensate for the pass blocking? You take advantage of the fact that he was regarded as plausibly the best receiver out of the backfield in the 2023 draft. Again, watch the tape. He's tremendous... catching in the flat... wheel routes... check downs.

It's on the coaching staff first, and on the O-line second. If given a legit opportunity to perform, this kid's going to manufacture a lot of highlight tape over his career.
Wheel
Routes , in the flat, check downs . I’m with you.
I’d like to see more deuce and less three tight end sets .
Quick hitters.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fans aren’t nearly as juiced about Deuce as they were last year at this time. There were countless threads with fans gushing over him. Some were even comparing him to Barry Sanders. lol This is the only thread I’ve seen about him this offseason.
The Cowboys killed it with lack of opportunity.

Him not playing was about a roster spot with Turpin and didn’t have anything to do with his running ability.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys killed it with lack of opportunity.

Him not playing was about a roster spot with Turpin and didn’t have anything to do with his running ability.
He had around 20 carries and averaged 1.9. Plus he’s too small to block. He’s basically a gadget player. They may find a use for him on KO returns. The new rule may give him an opportunity in that role.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I hope I am wrong but I don't think he is on the team come 2025. Based on what I saw last in the NFL and not his time in College as it's telling if we are still referring to that, he seems too small and was tossed around and he just didn't look as shifty as I was assuming/expecting. Maybe it was just a rookie year thing and with more experience, confidence and weight training he turns a corner and proves me wrong. I'm rooting hard for the kid
He didn't display any shiftiness or acceleration last year.

rambo2

Reaction score
He had around 20 carries and averaged 1.9. Plus he’s too small to block. He’s basically a gadget player. They may find a use for him on KO returns. The new rule may give him an opportunity in that role.
With good blocking he would gain a lot of yards.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fortunately I watched the games so the numbers don’t really mean much.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything about that post is wrong. Unbelievably wrong.

Do you watch the games?