Still juiced about Deuce

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fortunately I watched the games so the numbers don’t really mean much.
If they thought he was any good he would have gotten more opportunities and would have been activated for every game. He didn’t make the most out of the chances he had. You have to find a way to break or slip a tackle and push the pile. He had too many negative carries.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With good blocking he would gain a lot of yards.
A lot of backs could, but the real good ones can make something happen even when the blocking isn’t great. Go watch some of the highlights of Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. The big problem with Deuce is he has too many negative carries. He killed one of our drives early in the season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of backs could, but the real good ones can make something happen even when the blocking isn’t great. Go watch some of the highlights of Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith.
Both those were 1st rounders.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Fat Mike misused him and simply ignored him. We cant judge the kid fairly unless he actually gets meaningful in game totes. In college the kid was a stud against elite NFL players. Someone better tell me how he suddenly can't be good against NFL players. It was criminal the way he was mismanaged. He aint Barry Sanders, but he isnt a bust either. He needs at least 10 reps a game. Get him in space. Hes actually good between the tackles too. Hard to find. Hes more like Joe Morris back in the day.
I think it was the OL , when Pollard couldntdo much with that OL , there was no hope for Deuce. Solari was a misfit for OL coach or he didnt have the personnel for his OL scheme. Hope fully Beebe or whoever our center this year is not constantly losing and the guards open up lanes and tackles running downfield this year . That willgive chance toany RB .

Last edited:

_sturt_

Reaction score
You have to find a way to break or slip a tackle and push the pile.

You can ask a RB to make one guy miss in the backfield. You can't ask a RB to make 3 and 4 guys miss in the backfield, and that's what Deuce was too regularly up against.

Let's talk about breaking tackles and pushing piles, shall we?

How about this for a case study.

Cued up, no FF necessary. Versus Oklahoma. Senior season.

The kid didn't lose this ability in the space of one season.

What did he lose? What he lost was a first string line to block for him. What he lost was getting into regular season games regularly at times when it wasn't just mop up duty.

Sometimes reasons are legitimately reasons, not excuses.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let's talk about breaking tackles and pushing piles, shall we?

How about this for a case study.

Cued up, no FF necessary. Versus Oklahoma. Senior season.

The kid didn't lose this ability in the space of one season.

What did he lose? What he lost was a first string line to block for him. What he lost was getting into regular season games regularly at times when it wasn't just mop up duty.

Sometimes reasons are legitimately reasons, not excuses.

That’s college football. Look at his NFL tape. :thumbup:Some of you continue to be enamored by his college highlights.

_sturt_

Reaction score
That’s college football. Look at his NFL tape. :thumbup:
Spoke to that. In fact, the entire post spoke to that. If a person wants to be persuasive, s/he actually has to engage some point made, and debunk it with better information or better logic. Dismissiveness doesn't cut it except in middle school arguments. Just sayin.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Spoke to that. In fact, the entire post spoke to that. If a person wants to be persuasive, s/he actually has to engage some point made, and debunk it with better information or better logic. Dismissiveness doesn't cut it except in middle school arguments. Just sayin.
You posted a college video. I didn’t read your OP.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Fat Mike misused him and simply ignored him. We cant judge the kid fairly unless he actually gets meaningful in game totes. In college the kid was a stud against elite NFL players. Someone better tell me how he suddenly can't be good against NFL players. It was criminal the way he was mismanaged. He aint Barry Sanders, but he isnt a bust either. He needs at least 10 reps a game. Get him in space. Hes actually good between the tackles too. Hard to find. Hes more like Joe Morris back in the day.
Criminal? The Big 12 has some players that eventually play in the NFL, but everyone on an NFL team is an NFL player. There is a difference between the Big 12 and the NFL. If Deuce finds the NFL more difficult than the Big 12 it is understandable. Perhaps you don’t appreciate the difference.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it's entirely possible that Deuce wasn't comfortable running behind the ineffective OL that we had in 2023. Let's see if 2024 makes it any easier for him. Maybe it's mainly a matter of confidence that needs to be stronger in the year yet to come. Will the OL improve? Let's hope so. Seems like in the few carries he was afforded last year, the blocking wasn't up to par. Perhaps it'll improve just enough for him to find daylight in 2024.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
YouTuber “DoubleMove” pointed out last year against the Patriots, Deuce had 8 rushing attempts for 9 yards. However, he had 12 yards after contact that game.
Yards After Contact 2023
0.9 Deuce
1.0 Luepke
2.0 Pollard
2.1 Dowdle

Looking at the stats across the league, Pollard and Dowdle are bottom half YAC of the league's regular ball carries.
Deuce is far off the map.

And our new/old (in more ways that one) starting RB?

Ready for that trade yet, Dak?

GMO415

Reaction score
I just believe this shiftiness, this acceleration, and the fact it's just hard to square up or grab hold of such a compact tough runner... getting legit snaps behind our first string line (something that almost never happened in his rookie season, if ever)... is going to silence all the naysayers and handringers and nervous Nellies in his 2nd year. I mean, just look at this kid's tape. I'm going to say it... there's a lot of Barry Sanders and Darren Sproles in Christopher Vaughn II.

Just a reminder of what he brings to the table...

200w.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I just believe this shiftiness, this acceleration, and the fact it's just hard to square up or grab hold of such a compact tough runner.
Not big and strong enough for an NFL RB. Sorry.

Still possible as a gimmick back/slot receiver.

Should have been working on his route running all offseason. Particularly slot routes.

Looking at this tape last year, I saw a natural pass catcher. That quickness, acceleration, and low center of gravity makes for a possibly good slot receiver, and should be harder to bring down that Beasley.

But RB? No. His 0.9 average for yards after contact confirm what basic common sense would tell anyone. Not big and strong enough to deal with the strength of NFL players. Just goes down too easily. For a RB. Get him out on space against DBs, and I'm sure that number goes up.

And if teams *treat* him as a receiver, and put out personnel packages accordingly, the personnel advantage might let us run him between the tackles with effectiveness.

If Deuce is not a receiving threat, he's just not a threat. Gotta achieve that first.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You will have to forgive me but I m putting Deuce in the "I will believe it when I see it" column. I guess as long as we build the greatest run blocking O line of all time we should be good to go.

shabazz

Reaction score
"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, of the big lake they call Gitchigumi "..........

_sturt_

Reaction score
You posted a college video. I didn’t read your OP.
Wasn't referring to the OP. Was referring, somewhat obviously (?), to the post that addressed directly your concerns. So, yes, there's a video. And. I posted about the logic behind what we should be able to safely take from the video from his senior year against upper tier competition. But I get it. You're dug in. It's not so much for you as it is for those who let substance affect their conclusions.

2024-05-17_09-21-03.png.d18402b2a93c471afc0061c699cb9d2b.png