Super Bowl entertainment should be super

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
I have heard of VH, but have never listened. Never even heard of TP until this thread.

I actually really like Kanye and would not mind seeing him.

Here is a random (somewhat bad) music joke that one of my sorority sister always tells everyone she meets:

It's Christmas, and 50 cent and Snoop Dogg are exchanging gifts. 50 cent gives Snoop Dogg a sweater. So what does Snoop Dogg say when he saw his new sweater?

"Gee, You Knit?" (for those who don't get it, 50 cent's group is called G-Unit)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
VietCowboy;1832671 said:
I have heard of VH, but have never listened. Never even heard of TP until this thread.

I actually really like Kanye and would not mind seeing him.

Here is a random (somewhat bad) music joke that one of my sorority sister always tells everyone she meets:

It's Christmas, and 50 cent and Snoop Dogg are exchanging gifts. 50 cent gives Snoop Dogg a sweater. So what does Snoop Dogg say when he saw his new sweater?

"Gee, You Knit?" (for those who don't get it, 50 cent's group is called G-Unit)

Never heard VH....geez you are young :D

Nothing wrong with that though.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
This is who they should have at the Superbowl

zeppelinLL1209_468x331.jpg

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's not just Petty, the Heartbreakers are phenomenal too. Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench are masters at their craft, and unlike a lot of other guitar wankers they don't mind being in a BAND playing the SONGS the way they're meant to be played. They're not stepping all over each other individually trying to show off their chops. I never knew how great Mike Campbell was until I saw them live and watched him rip off an amazing 15 minute solo alone on stage by himself. When he's playing the songs, he gives himself to the song.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1832674 said:
Never heard VH....geez you are young :D

Nothing wrong with that though.

unfortunate to admit it, but I was sort of a teeny bopper growing up on spice girls, hanson brothers, bsb, *n sync, and when both britney and christina were good girls. i still love christina aguilera though. and spice girls are making a resurgence (not that I still like them anymore).

Actually, come to think of it, i think a good compromise is Shakira. Who doesn't like her?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just hope that Tom does not have a wardrobe malfunction like Janet had. :laugh2:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Petty is the definition of middle-of-the-road. Which I suppose makes sense for the Super Bowl, but it is pretty uninspired.

Looking at the list of post-wardrobe-malfunction performers, we have (I think I have this right):

Paul McCartney
The Rolling Stones
Prince
Tom Petty

They're all retreads (except arguably Prince, who can still be relevant), but one of these things is really not like the others, star-caliber-wise. Who will we see next year, Huey Lewis?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
VietCowboy;1832690 said:
Actually, come to think of it, i think a good compromise is Shakira. Who doesn't like her?

She would be good for after the game.

Van Halen would have been fun for the halftime show, but there's no way the networks or the NFL could trust Roth.

After Janet did an Elaine Benes imitation and exposed her nip, they are playing it pretty safe.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jimnabby;1832700 said:
Petty is the definition of middle-of-the-road. Which I suppose makes sense for the Super Bowl, but it is pretty uninspired.

Looking at the list of post-wardrobe-malfunction performers, we have (I think I have this right):

Paul McCartney
The Rolling Stones
Prince
Tom Petty

They're all retreads (except arguably Prince, who can still be relevant), but one of these things is really not like the others, star-caliber-wise. Who will we see next year, Huey Lewis?

They cater to us older farts that have the money and grew up with these groups. The next generation will get theirs when they start making the money. :laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
VietCowboy;1832690 said:
unfortunate to admit it, but I was sort of a teeny bopper growing up on spice girls, hanson brothers, bsb, *n sync, and when both britney and christina were good girls. i still love christina aguilera though. and spice girls are making a resurgence (not that I still like them anymore).

Well It probably is nothing you are interested in but if you ever get curious.

Van halen
Fair Warning
Diver Down
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

those are great great great VH albums. It makes us generic white guys go crazy! For unlawful is a personal favorite of mine.

Those first two vh albums spawned a genre of music and a decade of guitar players.......

Jay-D

Reaction score
VietCowboy;1832690 said:

Man it sure does suck to be your music taste. :laugh2:

Back when Van Halen was huge in '84 they were like a nightmare coming to town. Lock up your sister, your girlfriend, AND your mom because Diamond Dave would be your new daddy if you let him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5g2yyvdjrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5t5GukrWOU&feature=related

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jay-D;1832704 said:
Man it sure does suck to be your music taste. :laugh2:

Back when Van Halen was huge in '84 they were like a nightmare coming to town. Lock up your sister, your girlfriend, AND your mom because Diamond Dave would be your new daddy if you let him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5g2yyvdjrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5t5GukrWOU&feature=related

Dave is the ice cream man stop him when he passing by, because all his flavors are guaranteed to satisfy. :laugh2:

Jay-D

Reaction score
theebs;1832703 said:

Van halen
Fair Warning
Diver Down

those are great great great VH albums. It makes us generic white guys go crazy! For unlawful is a personal favorite of mine.

Those first two vh albums spawned a genre of music and a decade of guitar players.......

Preaching the VH gospel. Good job, my brother! :bow:

Jay-D

Reaction score
We can't forget the VERY FIRST VIDEO BANNED FROM MTV!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcB-BRSnlf8

Van Halen singing "Pretty Woman" was seriously controversial stuff back in 1981. Cowboys, Tarzan, gunslingers, Napoleon in a limo, midgets harassing cross-dressers.........this video blew EVERYBODY'S mind.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
theebs;1832703 said:

Van halen
Fair Warning
Diver Down

You missed 5150....some may not like Sammy but that is a damn good album

tunahelper

Reaction score
theebs;1831902 said:
Petty is great. Not springsteen great, but great no less.

I will gladly take petty over brittany and justin or whatever generic flavor of the day rapper they usually roll out there.

and petty hopefully will be singing our song at halftime while we hopefully have a lead!!! "you got lucky baby......"

I wonder where Brittany and the like artists will be in 20 years?

They wont be invited to Superbowl halftime shows!

Greatness is staying power...

tx78613

Reaction score
theebs;1832703 said:

I'd say Eddie Van Halen spawned more than just a decade of guitar players. He's influenced many good/great guitar players that are still rockin' today.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Jay-D;1832721 said:
We can't forget the VERY FIRST VIDEO BANNED FROM MTV!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcB-BRSnlf8

Van Halen singing "Pretty Woman" was seriously controversial stuff back in 1981. Cowboys, Tarzan, gunslingers, Napoleon in a limo, midgets harassing cross-dressers.........this video blew EVERYBODY'S mind.

that is pure van halen, complete insanity, the essence of vh.

man I miss being a kid watching mtv's 1/2 hour metal hour. I wish vh1 classic would air those old shows.