Surprise, Surprise. The Cowboys Get An F From Me

Jipper

Reaction score
Ask me if I care.

Like every year I’ll be right in my assumptions.

I’m not here to cater to any crowd.
no you are not here to cater to any crowd, you are here to cater to yourself which is why you started a narcissistic self promoting thread. Hopefully, the 14 pages of commentary that you have led makes you fulfilled.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
no you are not here to cater to any crowd, you are here to cater to yourself which is why you started a narcissistic self promoting thread. Hopefully, the 14 pages of commentary that you have led makes you fulfilled.
And hopefully you think for yourself one day and gain the courage to post your football opinions carefree instead of catering to what you believe an internet message board wants to hear and becoming just another groupthink victim.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So you'd rather change the subject rather than explain your whopper that a LT isn't an important position?

Noted.

Have fun finding a single football team on any level that agrees with you. There's a reason why a "RT only" label is a negative on a prospects profile.
Am I supposed to be elated to have a guy that might give Dak an extra microsecond to miss a wide open receiver running down field?

Taking a LT last night is like getting Botox when you need a brain transplant.

stiletto

Reaction score
We chose to get Botox when we need a brain transplant.

That’s the point.
They weren't going to do it this year with all the lame duck-ness going on. Next draft might be different with a new HC, Dak doesn't get extended,etc... We can only hope. It would be nice if the next QB has a younger up and coming OL.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We chose to get Botox when we need a brain transplant.

That’s the point.
you cant afford the Brain transplant right now so your good with going to mexico and getting it on the cheap? that might cause more problems for a longer period of time...when next year you can afford a proper brain transplant..

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Save this thread.

When we finish 3rd in the division and win 7 or 8 games next year we’ll revisit and see just his much that LT in the 1st round made a difference.
Don't have to fight everyone on the board now, I do see your point. But this is too extreme in my books.

What I would do:

1. sit Dak in 24 (and don't resign). Make it clear to him that he won't play. He either waves his NTC or shows that he's the team player he proclaims to be and help Trey/Coop from the sidelines, just like Romo did for him.

2. Play TL. If he sucks, high draft picks next year = win. Draft a QB @ no1 in 25. If he's mediocre (enough to make the play offs but early out) then you have a cheaper Dak = win (for now). Draft a QB @ no1. Well and if he's good... also win.

3. rebuild the trenches now. Do what the Cowboys are doing atm. I'm fine with their trade down and draft pick. build the trenches during that next season with basically nothing to win.

4. sign CD and Micah. Tell them next season is rebuild time, so nothing to win there. But they're the "old" guys now, learn how to lead (and stay away from SM)

5. draft RB high in 25 and maybe an WR and safety / CB.

Use this as your starting point for the next 5 years.

But do NOT trade all your draft picks for that one QB spot now. The worst you could do is put a new QB with lots of potential behind an o line with more holes than a Swiss cheese. He will be worn out once the line is ready in 3 years.

Just my humble opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s why the QB position should be the priority.

Imagine the Chiefs drafting a LT instead of Mahomes.
Many of your opinions about the position fly in the face of Jerry Jones' 35-year old track record of drafting quarterbacks. Prior to last night, how high would you have judged the likelihood Jones would use draft capital in trading up 10-to-15 slots and attempting to select a quarterback with a first round grade in your opinion given Jones' history? 100%? 50%? 25%? 10%? Zero percent?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you move Smith to LT then you need a LG, if you leave Smith at LG you need a LT.

You will notice in the entire first round there were 8 OTs drafted. How many LGs? One. (Yes a couple of LTs have played some at G but that's not the same as playing G all the time).

Sure, if you move Smith to LT then probably that spot is capably filled. If Gs were so good in the draft, why only one drafted?

Assuming Guyton pans out, you'll have a top-notch LT and a top-notch LG for years to come, barring injury (or illness, bad luck on Frederick).

I just feel it's best to leave Smith where he's at and pick an LT, which Dallas did.

I'm happy with the pick. If somebody's not, fine, we all have our opinions...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A QB and don’t care.

None of our future draft capital will matter as long as Dak is playing QB for us.
That is the gist of your original statement. It has nothing to do with no one else but Dak. Why continue the argument knowing that he's here until he wants to leave?

nobody

Reaction score
Am I supposed to be excited for a guy that might give Dak an extra 10th of a second to not see a wide open receiver because he’s already locked on to CeeDee?
There's something you're overlooking. Games are won and lost on the lines typically. Without a good line, any QB is going to struggle. So even if the Cowboys are smart and replace Dak, that QB is going to need a decent line and ours was aging or inadequate. Look at the years Romo struggled because Ol' Jerry neglected the O-line.

Was there even a decent QB left worth a first round pick? I don't think so. Why waste the slot when we need to keep the line strong anyway? Either way, it needs to be good with any QB in there. Is it disappointing they didn't trade into an earlier pick for a QB? Sure. But we don't know what the plan is. Maybe they tried and failed. Maybe they have their eye on someone else. Maybe the front office is just waiting to get the anchor of Dak's contract off before looking for a good replacement. Who knows?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That is the gist of your original statement. It has nothing to do with no one else but Dak. Why continue the argument knowing that he's here until he wants to leave?
I find it funny people dont believe Jerry when he says he wants Dak...I do, but i am starting to believe Dak may not want Jerry anymore...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's something you're overlooking. Games are won and lost on the lines typically. Without a good line, any QB is going to struggle. So even if the Cowboys are smart and replace Dak, that QB is going to need a decent line and ours was aging or inadequate. Look at the years Romo struggled because Ol' Jerry neglected the O-line.

Was there even a decent QB left worth a first round pick? I don't think so. Why waste the slot when we need to keep the line strong anyway? Either way, it needs to be good with any QB in there. Is it disappointing they didn't trade into an earlier pick for a QB? Sure. But we don't know what the plan is. Maybe they tried and failed. Maybe they have their eye on someone else. Maybe the front office is just waiting to get the anchor of Dak's contract off before looking for a good replacement. Who knows?
Do not be surprised if the 'Cooper Rush did not have Tyron Smith and went 4-1' counterpoint is part of any reply about the necessity of offensive linemen.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Do not be surprised if the 'Cooper Rush did not have Tyron Smith and went 4-1' counterpoint is part of any reply about the necessity of offensive linemen.
Or we’ve been great in the offensive trenches for like 15 years now and it’s led to 4 Wild Card wins.