Surprise, Surprise. The Cowboys Get An F From Me

Reaction score
No reason to believe he won't be. But you are completely overlooking pick 73 the Cowboy got for trading down.
Given their track record with picking OL in the first round I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and tackle is a big need,,, even the right tackle is a bit shaky. I would have been happier with a center here but if they get one in the next couple of rounds then I'll feel better.

Jipper

Reaction score
And hopefully you think for yourself one day and gain the courage to post your football opinions carefree instead of catering to what you believe an internet message board wants to hear and becoming just another groupthink victim.
i always post my own thoughts and opinions...you should know with your POV on Dak that I was a large defender of him for many years but have evolved my views based on his performance (or lack there of) and don't need any other's POV to sway mine. I am very capable of free thought and am not beholden to group think.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Or we’ve been great in the offensive trenches for like 15 years now and it’s led to 4 Wild Card wins.
Possible. But ask fans of teams like the Jets, who have'nt even won a single playoff game for years and years. Bet they'd kill for 4 WC wins.

I get your point, we're wanting SB wins, not WC playoff wins.

But I can't be so pessimistic, just not in my nature.

Thank goodness...

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
A LT, really?

The best case scenario is he’s the best LT in the NFL for the next decade just like our previous LT was for the previous decade.

Tyron Smith never saw past the divisional round.

Cooper Rush, a QB NOBODY wanted when they had the opportunity, is 4-1 without Tyron Smith playing.

LT is a position you sure up AFTER the important positions are taken care of first.

A LT is the shingles on an already built house.

We drafted a guy that if anything less than 1st team all pro is a downgrade. We should’ve just kept Tyron if we valued LT that highly going into the draft, and drafted an actual position that will affect the W/L record with our 1st pick.

Now, on to the 2nd round where we will be drafting a running back without a knee to really hammer on the point that we’re an unserious franchise.
You Get a F From Me, For Giving a F To Your Tread
;)

Swagger

Reaction score
So all the NFL executives and coaches who make millions to build teams have been wrong all along. The left tackle is the least important position on the field.

Crap... all these years I didn't realize this.

Thanks for helping us understand. You are a blessing.
His point is what's the point in having an all pro/pro bowl left tackle if you have a QB with the worst winning % in play off history? I.e., an irrelevant loser.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Possible. But ask fans of teams like the Jets, who have'nt even won a single playoff game for years and years. Bet they'd kill for 4 WC wins.

I get your point, we're wanting SB wins, not WC playoff wins.

But I can't be so pessimistic, just not in my nature.

Thank goodness..
Mark Sanchez has as many playoff wins as the Cowboys do since 1996.

The Jets aren’t envious of us.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Let me go on record as saying that 100% of what Mountaineer Cowboy is posting here is legitimate - I would go as far as correct. Many of you are missing his larger point which is that drafting OL to the detriment of every other position - including QB - hasn't helped us move the needle toward advancing past the divisional round, or even getting to the divisional round. The Chiefs who just won the last Super Bowl - do you know how many of their OL were drafted in the 1st round? None. Zero. Zilch. Three of them were picked in the 2nd round, one in the third round, and another in the 6th round. For some reason, this team seems incapable of drafting OL beyond the first round and to Mountaineer's point it hasn't worked. I would have been thrilled last night if we selected the DT Newton. I am not saying that Guyton is a bust pick - too early to tell and he will likely turn out fine. But having the best OL and RB and WR won't help when they will be spending most of their time watching the game from the sidelines because the best teams will be curb stomping our defense to the tune of 200+ yards rushing. For 20+ years I have watch in frustration while this team ignores the middle of the defense: DT, middle LB, and Safety - thinking we can fill these positions with picks after the 4th round or other team's JAGs. Then we wonder why we can't stop the best teams when it matters.

rambo2

Reaction score
A LT, really?

The best case scenario is he’s the best LT in the NFL for the next decade just like our previous LT was for the previous decade.

Tyron Smith never saw past the divisional round.

Cooper Rush, a QB NOBODY wanted when they had the opportunity, is 4-1 without Tyron Smith playing.

LT is a position you sure up AFTER the important positions are taken care of first.

A LT is the shingles on an already built house.

We drafted a guy that if anything less than 1st team all pro is a downgrade. We should’ve just kept Tyron if we valued LT that highly going into the draft, and drafted an actual position that will affect the W/L record with our 1st pick.

Now, on to the 2nd round where we will be drafting a running back without a knee to really hammer on the point that we’re an unserious franchise.
Lol. You are a comic book character.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Yeah, still scratching my head on this one. Kinda share his opinion about finding a new franchise QB, but this is waaayy outa line lol. A top 10 draft pick was not in reach whatsoever and we need to fill too many holes to put our draft capital in one basket.

This is not about taking a risk, this is about a totally unrealistic scenario. MC, you can do better. A good o line is the foundation of any sustainable development plan.

Runner up for weirdest thread of the year.

:huh:
:muttley:

Even in the case of the Cowboys getting a new franchise QB, I see nothing wrong with trying to strengthen the OL for that QB before he arrives or is drafted to the Cowboys.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Let me go on record as saying that 100% of what Mountaineer Cowboy is posting here is legitimate - I would go as far as correct. Many of you are missing his larger point which is that drafting OL to the detriment of every other position - including QB - hasn't helped us move the needle toward advancing past the divisional round, or even getting to the divisional round. The Chiefs who just won the last Super Bowl - do you know how many of their OL were drafted in the 1st round? None. Zero. Zilch. Three of them were picked in the 2nd round, one in the third round, and another in the 6th round. For some reason, this team seems incapable of drafting OL beyond the first round and to Mountaineer's point it hasn't worked. I would have been thrilled last night if we selected the DT Newton. I am not saying that Guyton is a bust pick - too early to tell and he will likely turn out fine. But having the best OL and RB and WR won't help when they will be spending most of their time watching the game from the sidelines because the best teams will be curb stomping our defense to the tune of 200+ yards rushing. For 20+ years I have watch in frustration while this team ignores the middle of the defense: DT, middle LB, and Safety - thinking we can fill these positions with picks after the 4th round or other team's JAGs. Then we wonder why we can't stop the best teams when it matters.
and this scenario is not what MC is saying..he is wondering why we didnt trade up to get a top 10 pick and grab a QB..this has some logic to it, trading up to a top ten spot with the capitol we had does not...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
My dude!

Finally another person that sees the whole picture here.

We’re trying to recreate the same things that hasn’t been working for us and many here are weirdly happy about it.

stiletto

Reaction score
I actually don't think his gripe is incorrect either, it's just that this year it wasn't happening because of all the needs and lame duck coach. No way they pick a QB and make the next HC take that on. Would always be "McCarthy's" guy.

It gives me some hope that the next Head Coach will have a say in the QB pick next year. If THAT didn't happen then we'll know we'd just be getting another puppet. At least there is still hope we don't now (even though we probably will). There's your biggest issue about the QB quite frankly. The "YES" men fat guy's and Red Head's that Jerry seems to love.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Who the Cowboys draft is largely irrelevant until the tone at the top changes.

Guyton is a solid pick under the circumstances. No chance to draft a QB, the good passrushers were gone. IMO, the only other option was a trade up to try to get Verse, but they weren't doing that being short of picks already.

Robster8989

Reaction score
They should’ve trade with Atlanta.

That pick was there for the taking.
You're acting like that would have been an easy trade up.
First of all, how do you know ATL would have traded?
If they would, what was the cost. Look at the charts. You willing to give up our 1st and 2nd this year, and a 1st next year?
For who? Penix, Nix, JJ?
What if they flop? (a high pick QB is NOT a sure thing)
Look at 2021. 5 QBs in the top 15. 4 of them no longer play for the team that drafted them (Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones).
Imagine giving up 2 1sts and a 2nd for that.
Picking a QB high is not a guarantee.

Look, I don't like the off-season. I would not have allowed solid players to get away when we had no one to plug in (Armstrong, Tyler B and Pollard are good, young, NFL players, and they signed for what IMO are reasonable numbers given the explosion we are seeing in the cap). I even agree with you on some points. If we give Dak 60 mil I will be pissed (but sadly, not shocked).
I've believed we've needed a "football person" since JJ left. Jerry is his own worst enemy, and Steven is just pathetic.

I do see their idea here however.
Some teams (like the Eagles) just make max space available by redoing every contract they can. You can manipulate the cap, but there is a price to pay in dead cap. Now with an expanding cap, it can be managed. The Cowboys have decided to reset their expenses. Let guys like I mentioned above go and replace with inexpensive draft picks. Letting Tyron go. You act as if there was a guarantee he'll play most of the season. There is no such guarantee. We've needed to draft his replacement for years, and we just did.
That resets our cap situation, replacing a high priced vet with a young, inexpensive pick. My guess is we may let DLaw and Zach leave too after this year, and replace them with younger, less expensive players.
Our problem is we have a lot of holes.
Our OLine is shaping up though. Guyton/TSmith on the left side, and Martin/Steele on the right.

Guyton is a great prospect. He's huge and very athletic (Like Tyler Smith).
He played RT at Oklahoma, but that was the blind side as their QB was a southpaw, so he does have experience on the blind side.
He's a very solid prospect at LT, and we got another Day 2 pick in the move back.
Remember a few years ago a lot of people were shocked we selected Tyler Smith. People thought he was a project but he quickly surpassed higher picked OL like Neal, Ekwonu, Coss, Penning, Green, Johnson etc.
We actually have a very good history on OL picks in Round 1.

C is a question. Do they like Hoffman or Bass enough there, or will we address again today or tomorrow?
We need 3 rotational players on the DLine IMO, 2 inside and one out.
We could use a LB, WR and RB.
We have the ability to fill some of these holes in the draft, and there will be a round of releases after the draft so we may have some solid options in FA. We have Gallups money still not accounted for, and we could open up a lot more if we needed to (extending CeeDee could actually add to our cap space).

I do understand what they are doing, though as a fan we all want to win now, so it's hard to watch at times.
You and others have been saying we will never win with Dak, so maybe the FO is actually on the same page as you are, and they want to reset their cap now so they can be healthier overall in a year of 2, while teams like the Eagles will be trying to manage their dead cap from all their cap manuveurs? It's possible. I hope that's the case. Of course we will sign CeeDee and Micah, they are foundational players. I REALLY hope we don't give Dak a position setting deal. It's pretty clear he will not put the team on his shoulders like a Mahomes, a Burrow or a Rodgers could. I'd reserve top of the position (and NFL) deals to guys like that.

My guess is they will be fairly conservative, again, even after the draft. I think they want to reset their cap situation. Next year we are slotted to have a ton of space with over 100 mil open as of now, and that's with Dak hitting us for 40. If that is eliminated, or pushed back, we could have even more. A great day today and tomorrow will really help though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your opinion takes into account other positional concerns that should be addressed to fix Dallas' woes. It is not the same as the OP. You might agree with an F grade for much wider roster deficiencies but the OP graded the pick as an F solely for Jones not selecting a first-round quarterback instead.

Quite frankly, this same thread could have been posted prior to the start of last night's selections--regardless if the team would have stayed pat at 24 or not. The likelihood Jones would have even attempted to move up and take a stab at a first round graded quarterback was nearly zero.