T.J. Yeldon

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he better than what we currently have on the roster, though?
I have that question about most of the RBs in this draft. I think people are underrating the RBs currently on the roster.

I have Mike Davis as top 5 RB in this draft. His only issue is limited top speed. His 10 yard time is right there with guys like Gordon.

His style and physical build reminds me of Emmitt.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I have that question about most of the RBs in this draft. I think people are underrating the RBs currently on the roster.

I have Mike Davis as top 5 RB in this draft. His only issue is limited top speed. His 10 yard time is right there with guys like Gordon.

His style and physical build reminds me of Emmitt.

Agreed, but the staff doesn't seem interested in that type these days.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Mike Davis gets a lot of yards where it appears none are available. It's not really by powering though per se, but he just seems to work his way though to find yardage.

You like him better than Johnson and Allen?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
Yeldon is my favorite back in this draft.

He is basically Gurley without a serious knee injury.
Stylistically he is a big slashing back with very good one cut speed.
The type of north/south guy we like.

He was behind a great OL at Bama but he also never had less than two other 5 star RBs to split carries with.
His 3 year totals are insane. Top 20 all-time for SEC rushing... but with a fairly manageable workload.
576 carries for over 3300 yards, 39 TDs.

He did have nagging injuries this year but they didn't stop him from playing.

Bama backs had 3 of the top 11 rushing totals last year. Not sure how that is overrated.
Trent Richardson was a bust but Bama itself has been a good bet at RB.

I don't think ANY back is a good bet in r1. Injury and other factors make them poor r1 choices IMHO.

But rounds 2 and 3 should be a good area for Bama starting backs.

All that said, RB is just about flavor and situation. We could hit on any number of guys IMHO.
I absolutely expect us to grab one in rounds 2 or 3.

Mike Davis is a very different back than Yeldon. Traditional stocky, bounce off tackler type. They share the same 40 yard time but it felt to me Yeldon was faster up field in pads. Probably part of that is style. Yeldon didn't read much and seldom went east-west at all.

Yeldon was far superior in college stats, not that you can count on that to translate.

I'd Personally rate the backs:
1. Yeldon
2. Coleman
3. Gordon
4. Ajani
5. Davis
But all those guys to me are valued in that 40-70 area.
Gurley is off board for me until I see a pro day and hear he passed medical stuff.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Yes. Definitely.

I had forgotten about him as I think I confused him with the Texas WR of the same name, anyway I agree he has that workhorse talent, somewhat diminutive but has many pluses. I would put him in with Buck Allen which is high praise for me in this draft. There seems to be lots of talent in the RB pool and really in the later rounds not much of a drop off.

Macnalty

Reaction score
various:
Yeldon is my favorite back in this draft.

He is basically Gurley without a serious knee injury.
Stylistically he is a big slashing back with very good one cut speed.
The type of north/south guy we like.

He was behind a great OL at Bama but he also never had less than two other 5 star RBs to split carries with.
His 3 year totals are insane. Top 20 all-time for SEC rushing... but with a fairly manageable workload.
576 carries for over 3300 yards, 39 TDs.

He did have nagging injuries this year but they didn't stop him from playing.

Bama backs had 3 of the top 11 rushing totals last year. Not sure how that is overrated.
Trent Richardson was a bust but Bama itself has been a good bet at RB.

I don't think ANY back is a good bet in r1. Injury and other factors make them poor r1 choices IMHO.

But rounds 2 and 3 should be a good area for Bama starting backs.

All that said, RB is just about flavor and situation. We could hit on any number of guys IMHO.
I absolutely expect us to grab one in rounds 2 or 3.

Mike Davis is a very different back than Yeldon. Traditional stocky, bounce off tackler type. They share the same 40 yard time but it felt to me Yeldon was faster up field in pads. Probably part of that is style. Yeldon didn't read much and seldom went east-west at all.

Yeldon was far superior in college stats, not that you can count on that to translate.

I'd Personally rate the backs:
1. Yeldon
2. Coleman
3. Gordon
4. Ajani
5. Davis
But all those guys to me are valued in that 40-70 area.
Gurley is off board for me until I see a pro day and hear he passed medical stuff.

I have not fallen in love with Gordon, mostly because of his pass protection and saw many of his games and thought great on the long runs and pretty average in the dirty yards acquisition. None of these backs are going to be getting many 70 yard untouched runs that is all rearview mirror.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Mike Davis runs like a skinnier, quicker Mike Tolbert.

In 11 out of 36 career college games Mike Davis rushed for exactly 4.0 ypc or less. In 17 out of 36 he ran for 4.5 ypc or less.

KDM256

Reaction score
TJ Yeldon is just as a productive back as Todd Gurley while both a big strong backs who can run with the wind. Both were neck & neck until there Junior year where I believe Gurley separated himself from the which back is better debate.

You can ask any knowledgeable Bama fan what is the biggest knock on TJ Yeldon's game? The most popular answer will be his fumbling issues, it drove fans crazy how he can cough the ball up at the worst possible times during a game, would have fans on pins and needles hoping this guy will come out with the ball still in his hands under a pile.

Other than his fumbling issues, I would take a chance with TJ in the 2nd or 3rd round with this O line because he's a workhorse back that'll fight for the tough yards.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TJ Yeldon is just as a productive back as Todd Gurley while both a big strong backs who can run with the wind. Both were neck & neck until there Junior year where I believe Gurley separated himself from the which back is better debate.

You can ask any knowledgeable Bama fan what is the biggest knock on TJ Yeldon's game? The most popular answer will be his fumbling issues, it drove fans crazy how he can cough the ball up at the worst possible times during a game, would have fans on pins and needles hoping this guy will come out with the ball still in his hands under a pile.

Other than his fumbling issues, I would take a chance with TJ in the 2nd or 3rd round with this O line because he's a workhorse back that'll fight for the tough yards.

Yea, he reminds of Murray there:(
Big guy who runs upright looking to stiff arm would be tacklers.
Ball kind of hangs out there.

FWIW Gordon is even worse.

Gurley is phenomenal with ball security. He just doesn't fumble.
He is a special prospect but one with a scary injury history.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yea, he reminds of Murray there:(
Big guy who runs upright looking to stiff arm would be tacklers.
Ball kind of hangs out there.

FWIW Gordon is even worse.

Gurley is phenomenal with ball security. He just doesn't fumble.
He is a special prospect but one with a scary injury history.

The kid with the best ball security ratio, at least according to this article, is Brown out of Texas. He's very interesting as well. Gurley is second best among the top backs and also very good.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25092869/nfl-draft-fumble-rate-among-rb-prospects

Below is the career fumble rate (and hand size in inches) for running back prospects in the 2015 NFL Draft class:

35.4 -- Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska (8 5/8)
52.2 -- Kenny Hilliard, LSU (9 1/4)
54.4 -- Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin (9 3/4)
62.2 -- T.J. Yeldon, Alabama (9)
62.6 -- Jay Ajayi, Boise State (10)
63.2 -- Matt Jones, Florida (8 5/8)
72.3 -- Tevin Coleman, Indiana (8 5/8)
74.5 -- David Cobb, Minnesota (9 3/8)
77.5 -- David Johnson, Northern Iowa (9 5/8)
80.0 -- Javorius Allen, USC (9 3/8)
85.0 -- Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.) (9 1/4)
87.3 -- Mike Davis, South Carolina (9 3/8)
91.5 -- Josh Robinson, Mississippi State (10 1/8)
92.7 -- Karlos Williams, Florida State (9 3/4)
123.2 -- Jeremy Langford, Michigan State (8 3/4)
125.0 -- Terrence Magee, LSU (9)
134.4 -- Zach Zenner, South Dakota State (9 5/8)
136.0 -- Cameron Artis-Payne, Auburn (8 7/8)
156.3 -- Dominique Brown, Louisville (9 1/2)
191.7 -- Todd Gurley, Georgia (10)
619.0 -- Malcolm Brown, Texas (10 1/4)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Malcolm Brown was one of the best HS runners I've ever seen coming out of Cibolo Steele.
But I just didn't see any improvement at UT.
Not sure he got good coaching.
He's strong, willing and has good but hardly elite speed.

If we do not go RB in the top 3 rounds this guy could be a great later round choice.
I could see him playing RB in the NFL.
All the toughness and grit you need.
Can block and will run hard up the middle.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Malcolm Brown was one of the best HS runners I've ever seen coming out of Cibolo Steele.
But I just didn't see any improvement at UT.
Not sure he got good coaching.
He's strong, willing and has good but hardly elite speed.

If we do not go RB in the top 3 rounds this guy could be a great later round choice.
I could see him playing RB in the NFL.
All the toughness and grit you need.
Can block and will run hard up the middle.

I agree. He split a lot of carries at Texas. They had a lot of talent at that position but not great OL play for few of those years. I like Brown in the later rounds as well. I think he could be a guy that could come in and give you some production, in the right scheme. don't ask him to get the corner, that's not who he is. But, if you want some tough inside yards, he can do that.

rags747

Reaction score
And I read a couple of times "Alabama RB's are overrated" - Trent Richardson has fallen off the map, but Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy are very good backs

If I have Ingram or Lacey on my team Im looking for an upgrade. Personally I think McFadden is an upgrade to both those guys.

Nirvana

Reaction score
He's got good vision and quick feet, makes guys miss, fights for the extra yard. I like the kid. 3rd round grade.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Mike Davis gets a lot of yards where it appears none are available. It's not really by powering though per se, but he just seems to work his way though to find yardage.

Love this player who played behind Lattimore. Pretty fast, too.