Tank and Cowboys far apart. Rejects new offer

CWR

Reaction score
I am getting to the point, and may already be there. As to not caring about it anymore. I have other things to do than read about all these contracts and over paid athletes.
If I click on a contract thread, I just skim through it anymore, and if I comment don't keep it too long.
This will be my longest comment most likely. LOL.

You love this team and can't help yourself. You're just as sick as the rest of us. :laugh:

RamziD

Reaction score
What's Lawrence's view of fair market?

It's interesting that people just assume the team that has the perverse view of fair market. If Lawrence thinks his fair market is Khalil Mack, then can you blame the Cowboys for not running to sign him?

True, I don’t know what he’s asking for. It’s going to be in the $20-25M range, I’d imagine, because that’s what the top pass rushers are getting. IMO, $22M per would be fair, so below Mack.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
He just isn’t that good huh lol?
No he isn’t. Most of his big games last year came against really bad teams and it also didn’t hurt that we played the Giants twice. 5 of his 10.5 sacks last year came against the Lions and Giants. Of the playoff teams we played against in the regular season he had a total of 0.5 sacks, that half sack coming against Seattle.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Lawrence wouldve been signed by now if he wouldve gotten the surgery. This team has never not paid its stars their worth. Hes gotten some bad advice from his agent on this one. Stupid move by him if you ask me.

If you listen to Jones he basically says he has no problem paying Lawrence but if hes going to pay him how he wants he has to be 100% healthy.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I think there’s a range it’s going to end up at. My main point was that you have prioritize that position and sign him to a deal. The whole thing about trading him is a real bad idea, IMO.

I think that if we trade DLaw there is a chance we see him play well elsewhere and are a little disappointed with that aspect, but I dont think anyone is going to complain about the draft picks and cap space.

If you trade DLaw though, in my opinion you're doing so for the future. With the top FA DEs already locked up, we will take a step back on defense without DLaw.

So good idea, bad idea, depends on the timeline you measure it against.

Oakland devastated their roster this year, but they're also adding 5 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 2 third rounders in the next two drafts.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Raiders.htm

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yawn... typical responses, nothing changed since the end of the season with these negotiations. Funny, how DAL contract negotiations are done thru the media "with certain players", but whatever it's a process.

How about a report/article when something really happens.

starfan1

Reaction score
True, I don’t know what he’s asking for. It’s going to be in the $20-25M range, I’d imagine, because that’s what the top pass rushers are getting. IMO, $22M per would be fair, so below Mack.
20 mil is fair not much more we got other fish to fry

Reactions: CWR

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Does anyone else have way less respect for DLaw after how he's handled this whole surgery thing?

I sure do. I can't come up with a stronger way of saying "money over personal/team success on the field". I want to move on for this alone but itll be tough to because his trade value is dropping every day as his recovery pushes closer to season start.

I hate that he's trying so hard to put Dallas in a no win scenario where the only moderately positive outcome is paying DLaw whatever he's asking. Screw that, trade him on the principal of the matter alone. Can't let those under you hold you hostage. He's walking all over us right now.

Meh, when I was younger I'd agree with you but....this might be his last contract. Law of averages says it will. Plus, the Jones family has made plenty of dough off his efforts already. And they will continue to do so. He and his agent have to do what's best for him and his family. (yes...and the agent too) Just the way it is boys. 2 sides to every story.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Whether we as fans think he's worth 23 million per year is immaterial. The Cowboys gave him a one-year prove it deal with the franchise tag last year at 20 million. And he produced like a top 5 4-3 DE, was the leader of the defense, while playing with a bum shoulder. So naturally he and his agent will expect more on a long term deal now. The team totally misplayed these negotiations and now they're stuck in a terrible spot.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Whether we as fans think he's worth 23 million per year is immaterial. The Cowboys gave him a one-year prove it deal with the franchise tag last year at 20 million. And he produced like a top 5 4-3 DE, was the leader of the defense, while playing with a bum shoulder. So naturally he and his agent will expect more on a long term deal now. The team totally misplayed these negotiations and now they're stuck in a terrible spot.

Yep. They have the Billionaire Bumpkins painted into a corner. This is what happens when a 'front office' is run by Jed Clampett and Son. Just......brutal.

kskboys

Reaction score
Some people are just never going to understand what fair market value is and that rarely do players accept less than that, especially when they’re negotiating their first big contract.
Ah, but fair market value is a very tricky thing. It might be that you're the one having problems understanding it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
And him refusing to have surgery means he's now misplaying it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
IMO, the Cowboys missed the boat on DLaw last year. It may set them back a year, but I would rescind the Franchise Tag if no trading partners were to appear (and they won't). He is not worth $20M/Year. They will regret giving him a blockbuster deal.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you pay a QB 30 million or a DE 25 million, the odds of winning are quite slim. Sometimes you must let a guy go.

Has nothing to do with whether or not he deserves it. What matters is will the Cowboys be a better team paying it? Huge contracts seldom result in winning teams.

conner01

Reaction score
I think there’s a range it’s going to end up at. My main point was that you have prioritize that position and sign him to a deal. The whole thing about trading him is a real bad idea, IMO.
I want to keep him and add Quinn
I want to pay him fairly and I think some under estimate what’s fair
Based on what guys like Mack and others make and when they got those deals I think that 20 range seems to be fair. That’s 3.5 less than Mack and Mack’s deal is last year
No doubt if we lose him our defense won’t be the same
That said I’m not making him the highest paid edge rusher