Tannenbaum: Dak's market has taken off like a rocket, he'll be highest-paid QB!

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Jerry is waiting to see what Dak does in the post season before committing an insane amount of money. Dak is playing by far the best football of his career, and is right now the top QB in the NFL. I have been a critic of him, but not blind to not see this and I don't care what the moronic so called analysts say about him beating weak team, because every top QB is basically playing these same teams.

That being said, it has crossed my mind that if somehowt Dak brings home a ring to Jerry that Jerry's job will be done and he will simply let Dak walk after next year to save money on a new monster contract.....maybe I give Jerry too much credit

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah, good luck if Dak can get as much money from the salary cap as he can, to hell with Parsons, CD and other players that the would need to keep when free agency hits the next. Sorry, Parsons, CD, etc, we can't pay you to keep you, we are paying Dak instead. Dak needs to help this team, the team is helping him out big time.
Actually, Stephen is on record saying Dak's extension won't be as hard as some may think ( especially as hard as the first one ) coz a large percentage of his salary is already baked into the budget. It's not like he'll have to find new $40M money.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If and/or when Dak gets a big new contract, Mike McCarthy should go in right behind him and get more as well.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's earned this big pay day solely because he has been beating up on crap teams for the past month? Geezuz.

This is all well and good for Dak, but what if he fails again in the playoffs? Jerry will yet again only be paying him for regular season stats and nothing more. That would end up being a huge waste of money. Not that Jerry doesn't have a track record for doing that exact thing over and over.
:facepalm: ........do you ever get tired of saying the same thing over and over and no one's listening :)laugh:).

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Let's say Dak wins MVP but plays poorly in the playoffs and loses in the divisional round. Should the Cowboys extend him for big money? Mike Tannenbaum says he'll be the highest paid QB. I don't agree unless he gets it done in the playoffs. I would rather trade him for picks if he doesn't get it done.

Nope, if he goes MIA in the playoffs then it's time to cut bait with him. Just because he's destroying the bottom feeders in the league doesn't mean squat until he starts string victories together against the top-level teams. We've seen this act year after year where he bulks his stats playing against rookie CBs and when he goes up against the studs in the league he struggles mightily trying to squeeze the ball into covered targets with very little to no success at all.

Loso86

Reaction score

Let's say Dak wins MVP but plays poorly in the playoffs and loses in the divisional round. Should the Cowboys extend him for big money? Mike Tannenbaum says he'll be the highest paid QB. I don't agree unless he gets it done in the playoffs. I would rather trade him for picks if he doesn't get it done.

If his play continues and takes us to THE GAME then he deserves it

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak would have to be an absolute moron to hold the team hostage for his next contract. He will have collected over $175 million for his career and another $25-30 million in endorsements. He could play the rest of his career for free and be just fine. What he needs is a ring and the only way he gets it is that he makes concessions with his contract to enable the team to keep Lamb, Parsons, and the other great players around him. If he fails to do that and demands to be the highest paid QB for 5 minutes then I will stop rooting for him because it will mean he is not who I thought he was. I know he has an agent who will be pounding on him to hold the team up as will the NFLPA, but he needs to go full Tom Brady and tell both to kiss his bootay and sign a team friendly deal so he can go get some championships.
His wife is not as rich as Brady’s.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
We didn’t have trouble building a team last time he signed a record breaking contract, why would we now?

I think we are the only fanbase that expects our franchise QB to take a pay cut while our FO has no responsibility lol. The job is hard but it’s the job. Plenty of other teams can maneuver the cap to pay their QB and sign ppl, ala Philly.

He’s going to sign a top 3 deal and it’s the FO’s job to continue drafting well and being savvy in FA and trade market (Gilmore/Cooks/Hankins).

It is infinitely more difficult to find a franchise QB than it is to pay one and build a good team.
Franchise QBs are expected to win Championships or at least compete for them.

If we collapse again in the playoffs there’s a big decision to be made by both Dak and the team.

Right now Dak is who he is until he shows he isn’t and it’s franchise malfeasance to give him a huge contract at the expense of other players that he desperately needs to be successful.

While you are right it’s hard to find franchise QBs its not that hard to find QBs that will get you into the Wild Card and Divisional rounds and for a lot less money.

Dak has one big advantage though. Jerry loves being relevant and Dak certainly does that.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
COwboys fans: what about the CAP?

other NFL teams: what CAP? there is no cap.

Praxit

Reaction score
Dak would have to be an absolute moron to hold the team hostage for his next contract. He will have collected over $175 million for his career and another $25-30 million in endorsements. He could play the rest of his career for free and be just fine. What he needs is a ring and the only way he gets it is that he makes concessions with his contract to enable the team to keep Lamb, Parsons, and the other great players around him. If he fails to do that and demands to be the highest paid QB for 5 minutes then I will stop rooting for him because it will mean he is not who I thought he was. I know he has an agent who will be pounding on him to hold the team up as will the NFLPA, but he needs to go full Tom Brady and tell both to kiss his bootay and sign a team friendly deal so he can go get some championships.
..throw in the fact he's now 30 yrs old. So now winning something is becoming more crucial. The 30's fly...lol

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dak is playing better than many quarterbacks that are paid significantly more than he is. He is playing for the most valuable professional sports franchise in the world. If he signs the richest contract in NFL history that will only be the case for, at most, 120 days. He seems more than smart enough to leave contract negotiations up to his representation.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They cannot trade him because they agreed to a no trade clause. As for the MVP, why would any fan care about that? It's just a media award.

Win in the playoffs. That's what most fans care about, although I've seen some here get pretty excited about Pro Bowlers (Why? I don't know).

Aftershock

Reaction score
This is what Ive been saying. He has banked already. Make some concessions for the team on this next deal...especially with Will McClay at helm draft wise.

LeBron has a pretty good argument on why the best players on sports teams shouldnt take discounts, though. He basically says these Org's will lie and manipulate you with "Look...so and so did it...you should too" ultimately decreasing the value of top athletes and he doesnt want to be a part of setting that precedent. Its something along those lines...I might have it it a little wrong. I read about it a few years ago and it made complete sense...basically top athletes should not take discounts and the reasoning was sound. Google it if its something interesting to any readers here.
Agents and players do the same thing on the other side as well. Look it all boils down to the player and what they value more: legacy or money?