Tannenbaum: Dak's market has taken off like a rocket, he'll be highest-paid QB!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of. There's going to be lots of noise among those around him to get as much as he can since those around him would profit as well. I only hope he seriously considers helping out the team. $40 - $42 mil/year is a lot of money.
If the cap continues to go up at the rate it has we may be worried about nothin. If Dak and the Cowboys do an extension next year and lower his cap hit in '24 through '26 to like half what it is now they could then push a lot of the new money well into the future. That's really all he realistically has to do. Structure the deal to free up enough cap space in the next 2-3 years to keep the talent around him. He gets the huge bonus check up front and the title of highest paid yadda yadda yadda for 5 minutes and everybody wins. Yes some of the same people whining about his salary now will be back in 2027 but what are ya gonna do with those people?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not talking about a couple million. I'm talking about 5-6 million a year. And a long term deal to minimize cap hits. Screw this "gotta be the highest paid" noise and the whole "short term deal so I can cash in again" crap too. He has enough money already to last 5 lifetimes.. If he cares more about all that other nonsense then to hell with him.
His last contract was all about the $ so I have to assume this one will be too. They know the Jones don't have the stones to let him walk for a compensatory 3rd in 2026. Maybe if Dak plays poorly in the playoffs and is clearly the reason they lose.

JBS

Reaction score
Dak would have to be an absolute moron to hold the team hostage for his next contract. He will have collected over $175 million for his career and another $25-30 million in endorsements. He could play the rest of his career for free and be just fine. What he needs is a ring and the only way he gets it is that he makes concessions with his contract to enable the team to keep Lamb, Parsons, and the other great players around him. If he fails to do that and demands to be the highest paid QB for 5 minutes then I will stop rooting for him because it will mean he is not who I thought he was. I know he has an agent who will be pounding on him to hold the team up as will the NFLPA, but he needs to go full Tom Brady and tell both to kiss his bootay and sign a team friendly deal so he can go get some championships.
What a stupid post this is lol.

817Gill

Reaction score
Franchise QBs are expected to win Championships or at least compete for them.

If we collapse again in the playoffs there’s a big decision to be made by both Dak and the team.

Right now Dak is who he is until he shows he isn’t and it’s franchise malfeasance to give him a huge contract at the expense of other players that he desperately needs to be successful.

While you are right it’s hard to find franchise QBs its not that hard to find QBs that will get you into the Wild Card and Divisional rounds and for a lot less money.

Dak has one big advantage though. Jerry loves being relevant and Dak certainly does that.
Please elaborate on “it’s not hard to find Divisional round QB’s?”

Because it certainly is lol that means you have a top 8-10 QB. Franchise QB’s are ones that give you real chance week in and week out. What you’ve described as a franchise QB is a Hall of Fame or elite QB.

You can’t cycle through QB’s until finding a hall of famer. You’ll be bad for 20+ years. It’s the hardest position in sports.

Either you luck into a top 4-5 guy or you take your 6-12 guy and put the best players and coaches around him. There’s too much scarcity to be cycling through guys until you find an elite QB.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Key words - he's playing good RIGHT NOW. So just pay him, without paying any attention whatsoever to the level of competition the past 4 weeks? And if he craps the bed over the rest of the season and they go one and done again? You still fine with paying him?
The same Mike Tannenbaum who championed Zach Wilson as the second best QB in their draft class

Last edited:

Gambit

Reaction score
We've seen this act year after year where he bulks his stats playing against rookie CBs
He has sat during a significant amount of the 4th quarter several times this season, hardly just "Bulking up his stats" now isn't it?

Those of you who just want to bash Dak at every opportunity seem to think he drafts the CBs for the other teams, makes up the schedules for the year, and then proceeds to make sure the other teams D allow him to just rack up stats.

It's lunacy. Against Seattle he played probably the best secondary he will face all season throws for 3 TDs completed nearly 70% of passes near 300 yards and no Ints at helm of leading team to 41 points and inspired the D on last drive to finish the game.

But please continue with your delusion that he only pads his stats.

Reactions: CWR

Gambit

Reaction score
He keeps us in contention every year and is one of the better QBs in the league,. What have some of these other QBs like Justin Herbert done to warrant a monster contract?
Or Danny Dimes?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Hasn’t Pat Mahomes won 2 SB’s . Against SF and Philly no less . Get back to me on # 4 becoming the “ highest paid “ QB in the league. What I can’t figure out in KC is how they’ve let that WR group get so mediocre.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Seattle had given up 2 fewer passing TDs than Buffalo and Miami's 16 until Dak let them up for 3. Even now they've only given up one more (17) than those two despite having played one more game. Well one more than Miami anyway. Point being, their pass defense is better than the yards ranking shows because they get stops at essentially the same rate as those two and their yards allowed per attempt of 5.8 is tied for 10th and just behind Buffalo and Miami who are both at 5.6. That tells me that those two teams are not miles ahead of Seattle in pass defense.. and frankly even if they were I trust Dak and Co. against anybody at this point. Somebody is going to have to show me they can stop this version of Dak before I believe it.
I can’t argue with that, but you’d have to agree that this team, including Dak, is different on the road.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You aren’t serious are you? He’d be moron asking for less (even though I wish he would for the sake of the team) and if he wins mvp should absolutely ask for a record setting contract. These players have short careers and should maximize their earning every chance they can. I’d not fault him at all asking for as much as he can get.

Now is that best for the team? Or what I want? No, would be great if he takes a discount but he would absolutely not be being a morn in anyway shape or form and for you to stay you’d stop “rooting” for him is laughable when you, me and others would absolutely try to get top dollar in their profession, like we all do in our personal lives currently.
Plus, Dak and his girlfriend (not wife) are having a baby and there is no way Dak can afford to feed that kid making all the millions and millions and millions of dollars that he has made so far. He definitely needs at least 100 or 200 million more, I mean, then damn diapers are getting expensive.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You aren’t serious are you? He’d be moron asking for less (even though I wish he would for the sake of the team) and if he wins mvp should absolutely ask for a record setting contract. These players have short careers and should maximize their earning every chance they can. I’d not fault him at all asking for as much as he can get.

Now is that best for the team? Or what I want? No, would be great if he takes a discount but he would absolutely not be being a morn in anyway shape or form and for you to stay you’d stop “rooting” for him is laughable when you, me and others would absolutely try to get top dollar in their profession, like we all do in our personal lives currently.
I get what your saying but the diference is 1 million would change most common folks lives.... what is another 10 million when your making 40 already? I get what Ronnie is saying, i 'm not holding my breath though. Dak has had a great season and if he can carry this into the playoffs we need to resign him, but look at Mahomes...as his contract strangles KC the team has lost pieces to the point they cant compete...Dak can either see the big picture or he cant.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Unless the last 6 games or so have been a fluke, Dak is the real deal. Kellen Moore was holding Dak back and McCarthy has unlocked him. Dak obviously deserves a ton of credit for putting the work in too.

At this point, its all about trying to get Dak's cap hit low enough that the team can be competitive. If Dak continues to play like this, we have to hope Dak gives the Cowboys a cap friendly deal.

His detractors are going to hate this but something like 8 years $440m with a good bit guaranteed and backloaded. Good thing that Jerry can afford it because it would look like a $200m signing bonus. You could keep his cap hit in the $35m range for a few years doing that.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Unless the last 6 games or so have been a fluke, Dak is the real deal. Kellen Moore was holding Dak back and McCarthy has unlocked him. Dak obviously deserves a ton of credit for putting the work in too.

At this point, its all about trying to get Dak's cap hit low enough that the team can be competitive. If Dak continues to play like this, we have to hope Dak gives the Cowboys a cap friendly deal.

His detractors are going to hate this but something like 8 years $440m with a good bit guaranteed and backloaded. Good thing that Jerry can afford it because it would look like a $200m signing bonus.
Cap friendly is the key as long as he doesnt put every restriction on the deal he can get big money and allow the Franchise to move that money around to keep the pieces he will need to keep winning...assuming they can finish the job this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or Danny Dimes?
He was coming off a good season and led the Giants to a playoff win. The Giants had nothing behind him and had no choice, but to pay him. That’s just the way it is at QB in the NFL these days. They’re all making big money, even if they aren’t anything special. If you don’t pay them, you’re going to be stuck with a lesser QB. Hopefully you’re not comparing Dak to Danny Dines.

Gambit

Reaction score
He was coming off a good season and led the Giants to a playoff win. The Giants had nothing behind him and had no choice, but to pay him. That’s just the way it is at QB in the NFL these days. They’re all making big money, even if they aren’t anything special. If you don’t pay them, you’re going to be stuck with a lesser QB. Hopefully you’re not comparing Dak to Danny Dines.
The leaps that are made truly make me belly laugh.

Ive long been a proponent of Classical Education, it would solve much of this stuff, but I digress

No, I was comparing what has Justin Herbert done to what Daniel Jones has done to warrant a big contract. But please continue with accusing people of comparing everything to Dak, it's much more entertaining for me than actual ability to read and think with a smidge of critical thinking.