Texas Rangers 2012 Thread

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
That would be so weird to have Cliff back after all that hoopla of him leaving. Oh well! You guys are the experts. I have enjoyed learning from this thread.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
BoysFan4ever;4631623 said:
That would be so weird to have Cliff back after all that hoopla of him leaving. Oh well! You guys are the experts. I have enjoyed learning from this thread.

It would be weird and annoying because we would have traded for him twice meaning a lot of players. He is on a long term deal now though so as long as it doesn't hinder us financially I'm all for it.

Zordon

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4631645 said:
It would be weird and annoying because we would have traded for him twice meaning a lot of players. He is on a long term deal now though so as long as it doesn't hinder us financially I'm all for it.
We didn't lose anyone of significance in the first trade.

We got Cliff Lee & Mark Lowe

Seattle got

Justin Smoak (career .215 hitter in 1119 AB's) just sent down to AAA
Blake Beavan (career 4.83 ERA in 29 Starts)
Josh Lueke (career 7.25 ERA in 36 IP) now with TB
Matt Lawson (26 years old) now with Cleveland hasn't reached higher than AA

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I really like Hamels, but I think he is hell bent on staying in Philly. If we trade for him, he is just going to leave to go right back to Philly so I definitely wouldn't give up much for him.

Josh Johnson clearly has a lot of talent, but when I look at his history... Well, in eight season he has one 200 inning season. What is worse is that out of eight season only half of them even had 100 innings. Two of them were less than 158 innings.

Now, I don't know what the story is with those season, but that definitely doesn't look very good.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Zordon;4631666 said:
We didn't lose anyone of significance in the first trade.

We got Cliff Lee & Mark Lowe

Seattle got

Justin Smoak (career .215 hitter in 1119 AB's) just sent down to AAA
Blake Beavan (career 4.83 ERA in 29 Starts)
Josh Lueke (career 7.25 ERA in 36 IP) now with TB
Matt Lawson (26 years old) now with Cleveland hasn't reached higher than AA

Dude. Blake Beavan and Justin Smoak are high quality players. Both are VERY young and I think both are going to be very good players before all is said and done. I was okay with Smoak being in the trade, but wasn't too happy about Beavan being in the trade.

Both players were our 1st round picks. Smoak was considered a top 5 player in the draft in 2008. Beavan in 2007.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4631674 said:
Dude. Blake Beavan and Justin Smoak are high quality players. Both are VERY young and I think both are going to be very good players before all is said and done. I was okay with Smoak being in the trade, but wasn't too happy about Beavan being in the trade.

Both players were our 1st round picks. Smoak was considered a top 5 player in the draft in 2008. Beavan in 2007.

Beavan a high quality player? The guy throws 3 mph which is why he barely strikes anyone out and every season in his pro career he has given up more hits than IP. He doesn't fool hitters. He's a mediocre control pitcher with a #5 starter ceiling at best. He'll probably end up a long-reliever/journeyman AAAA-type. Not sure how can you think where he was drafted has absolutely anything to do with how good he is right at this moment. And in recent years the Rangers shifted from drafting/acquiring polished pitchers who might not have the greatest stuff but who could help right away to hard-throwing guys with higher ceilings. This made soft-tossers like Beavan along with T. Hunter obsolete which is why we traded them. You really think if we kept either guy that they would have started the year ranked higher on the depth chart than any of our current starters plus Perez down in AAA?

Mike_45

Reaction score
I dont think Smoak will ever hit higher than .220. Take away his games against the Rangers and he is probably a .200 hitter.

Plus he spells smoke wrong.

Mike_45

Reaction score
Hahaha, stupid Padilla. Never seen a double secret pick off move.

As I am posting he nails Beltre in the head. Hopefully there is a line drive hit right at Padilla. That guy is a turd.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Smoak has sucked, but he was a highly regarded prospect. Same thing can happen to a guy like Olt.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Kristen82;4631702 said:
Beavan a high quality player? The guy throws 3 mph which is why he barely strikes anyone out and every season in his pro career he has given up more hits than IP. He doesn't fool hitters. He's a mediocre control pitcher with a #5 starter ceiling at best. He'll probably end up a long-reliever/journeyman AAAA-type. Not sure how can you think where he was drafted has absolutely anything to do with how good he is right at this moment. And in recent years the Rangers shifted from drafting/acquiring polished pitchers who might not have the greatest stuff but who could help right away to hard-throwing guys with higher ceilings. This made soft-tossers like Beavan along with T. Hunter obsolete which is why we traded them. You really think if we kept either guy that they would have started the year ranked higher on the depth chart than any of our current starters plus Perez down in AAA?

I think Beavan will end up better than most think. I definitely don't think he will be an ace, but I think he is going to be a middle rotation guy. The reason I believe that is because Beavan is a smart kid. I think he knows he can't overpower hitters, but the kid has a +fastball, +slider, and a decent curveball that can definitely get better. He has a forth pitch, but it's nothing to write home about. He is young and just needs is time to polish his command. He is also a big kid (6'7 240lbs) and he is not not fat. He is solid in the chest and legs.

As I said. The kid is young, smart, and has the tools to pitch. I think the tools and smart part will win out for him in his career. You don't have to be a power pitcher to be successful. There are a lot of pitchers out there that don't throw in the mid 90s. They are smart. It's the dumb ones that fail.

Besides, when we traded Beavan, our rotation definitely wasn't what we have now. Both Beavan and Smaok were some of our top prospects at the time.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Rangers are among the teams "actively pursuing" a trade for Marlins' right-hander Josh Johnson.

The Marlins are in clear sell-mode after dealing Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante to the Tigers and Hanley Ramirez and Randy Choate to the Dodgers. MLB.com's Joe Frisaro is reporting that it's 50-50 whether the Marlins will part with Johnson, who is under contract for $13.75 million in 2013. Nightengale hears that the Rangers are willing to give up top prospect third baseman Mike Olt in a potential deal. The Blue Jays are another team who have reportedly expressed interest in Johnson.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Cole Hamels is off the table. While I really like this kid, I'm glad he is off the table. He made it clear he wanted to stay with the Philly even going as far to say that if he is traded, he would look to rejoin them once he became a free agent.

As good as he is, I didn't want to give up a lot of talent to rent him for half a season.

juck

Reaction score
Id get Greinke. He is better than Johnson and he knows how to pitch in the AL ,also he is not on the DL every other week like johnson.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
juck;4632161 said:
Id get Greinke. He is better than Johnson and he knows how to pitch in the AL ,also he is not on the DL every other week like johnson.

Grenike is kind of a head case though.

With the resigning of Hamels, the Philly have around $70M per season tied up in three pitchers. Close to $100M in four players if you count Howard too. They are going to have some trouble with the salary cap. I expect them to start dropping some of their better position players. I bet Rollins, Utley, Victorino, and probably Pence end up on the block. That's a lot of talent they are going to lose due to signing Hamels.

Mike_45

Reaction score
juck;4632161 said:

I don't know much about Johnson, can anyone give their honest opinion on him?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rumors are floating that Feliz maybe included in a trade to acquire Greinke from the Brewers.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4633706 said:
Rumors are floating that Feliz maybe included in a trade to acquire Greinke from the Brewers.

:(

I would hate to see Feliz go. If it means Greinke getting an extension I may be fine with it but who knows. Greinke is better I just like Feliz.

edit: Greinke's numbers really aren't that great.

RamziD

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4634099 said:
:(

I would hate to see Feliz go. If it means Greinke getting an extension I may be fine with it but who knows. Greinke is better I just like Feliz.

I think if you can trade a closer for a SP, then you do it. I don't see Neftali being a consistent starter for us.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
RamziD;4634112 said:
I think if you can trade a closer for a SP, then you do it. I don't see Neftali being a consistent starter for us.

Feliz is starter material. I think he is just a little immature right now.