Texas Rangers Thread

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;4015424 said:
At least we got out with a split against the Twins. Harrison pitched great again.

Rangers (and Ogando) face Brett Cecil again today. They better get their act together against lefties. After being shutout last time they faced Cecil, I expect them to win today.

I was at the game when they faced Cecil last weekend, and it was truly pitiful. The Rangers seemed helpless against him. Cecil just isn't that good a pitcher. But that's the Rangers - bats are either very hot or very cold. They put up 20 the day after facing Cecil.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Beltre is needed desperately. It's pretty much guaranteed that the offense will wet the bed against any lefty at this point, doesn't even matter how good he is.

dback

Reaction score
Derek Holland with another CG shutout today. We needed this, hopefully it will light a fire under the Rangers.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
When Holland is on like this, it's really beautiful to watch. Finally he did it against a good offense. The guy will get there, just wait. It might take another year before he puts it all together but I really think he'll be an ace someday vs. just a #4 or #5 starter.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Holland is showing us what we have been needing to say, awesome. I love that guys personality too, very entertaining.

Looks like the Rangers have just made a trade.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
by RangersRadioBD
Confirmed: #Rangers obtaining Uehara from #Orioles for two major leaguers including Davis. #tradedeadline #MLB

danconnollysun Dan Connolly
by RangersRadioBD
Tommy Hunter and Chris Davis appear to be in the deal for Koji. More details coming

by Buster_ESPN
#orioles official confirms Uehara to Rangers for Davis and Hunter. First tweeted by @jeffzrebiecsun.

Not too familiar with him. But Hunter and Davis? Wow, Davis has some real trade value so I hope this guy is very good.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Well his ERA is 1.72 so thats pretty damn good.

JacquesTaylor Jean-Jacques Taylor
Rangers add reliever w.62K 8 BB and a 1.72 ERA w/o touching any key parts - Davis and Hunter headed to Baltimore . Looks like good deal

I really like Hunter though, shame he had to go. The good news is we touched no prospects with this deal which makes Kuroda, Bell still in play with a Jiminez possibility.

Stautner

Reaction score
Corleone;4021974 said:
Holland is showing us what we have been needing to say, awesome. I love that guys personality too, very entertaining.

Looks like the Rangers have just made a trade.

Not too familiar with him. But Hunter and Davis? Wow, Davis has some real trade value so I hope this guy is very good.

He's an outstanding set up man for the bullpen. Great ERA and WHIP, nice strikeout ratio. He's strictly a guy to bolster the bullpen.

Not sure it's accurate to say Davis has some real trade value. I think there is still some chance for him because he is a great physical specimen, but he's been given multiple opportunities to make it in the majors in multiple years and he has failed every time. I believe Moreland was playing OF the majority of the time in the minor leagues and moved to 1B full time because Davis was never able to fill the position.

Hunter is the guy I hate losing. He's good in long relief and would be a very capable 4th or 5th guy in the rotation if a starter got hurt - he filled that role very nicely last year.

But the bullpen was desperate for late inning help, so I understand the Uehara deal.

That bad thing is this almost certainly takes Heath Bell out of the picture.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Yeah Chris Davis always gets our hopes up when tearing up the minors but never does much when called up.

Damn, certainly? I really hope we still go after bell. Feliz has been unreliable lately even though I still think hes got great potential. Feliz, Bell, and Uehara would be a pretty perfect situation.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I would've liked Bell but it looks like this guy is our guy. They were looking for a set-up man for Feliz and this one appears to be the one. Tommy Hunter is expendable, I never liked him anyway...he sucked in the playoffs. The emergence of Ogando, Harrison, and Holland made him expendable. As for Chris Davis, the guy wasn't gonna live up to expectations here...it's time to move on. He could use a change of scenery.

We probably would've had to give up a few of our prospects for Heath Bell so this is a solid deal. No more Arthur Rhodes and hopefully less Darren Oliver. It's up to Feliz to continue to develop now

Stautner

Reaction score
Corleone;4022114 said:
Yeah Chris Davis always gets our hopes up when tearing up the minors but never does much when called up.

Damn, certainly? I really hope we still go after bell. Feliz has been unreliable lately even though I still think hes got great potential. Feliz, Bell, and Uehara would be a pretty perfect situation.

I've heard some call Chris Davis the best minor league player in baseball because he always does great in the minors, but can't do it in the majors. To be fair, Nelson Cruz was like that earlier in his career and obviously got it together, so maybe there is still hope for Davis. Davis plays a great defensive 1B - better than Moreland in that area.

As for Bell, I suppose I could be wrong, but the idea with Bell was to shore up our late inning relief and insure we had a top set up man and a top closer, and Uehara fills the set up man role, and despite some inconsistency this year, Feliz is still a good closer. I suppose they could still go after Bell and make Uehara a 7th inning guy in a role similar to what Ogando filled last year, but I don't expect it. Of course Darren O'Day has had a hard time staying healthy this year, so maybe the Rangers will surprise me.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Stautner;4022254 said:
As for Bell, I suppose I could be wrong, but the idea with Bell was to shore up our late inning relief and insure we had a top set up man and a top closer, and Uehara fills the set up man role, and despite some inconsistency this year, Feliz is still a good closer. I suppose they could still go after Bell and make Uehara a 7th inning guy in a role similar to what Ogando filled last year, but I don't expect it. Of course Darren O'Day has had a hard time staying healthy this year, so maybe the Rangers will surprise me.

I really have no faith in Oliver, Rhodes or O'Day.

Here is some great news for us. Imagine Bell, Feliz and Uehara.

ESPN_Caplan Jeff Caplan
“@JimBowdenESPNxm: Rangers continue pursuit of Heath Bell even after Uehara deal since they didn't have to move ANY prospect in that deal.

Stautner

Reaction score
Corleone;4022362 said:
I really have no faith in Oliver, Rhodes or O'Day.

Here is some great news for us. Imagine Bell, Feliz and Uehara.

Bell, Feliz and Uehara would be a sensational bullpen. If our starting pitchers could get to the 7th - which they ususally do - the pen would look great to finish it off.

By the way, who closes, Bell or Feliz?

I agree with Oliver and Rhodes. O'Day I'm on the fence. He has been outstanding for us in the past, but he has been hurt so much this year, and a part of me wonders if we were lucky to get what we did out of him and he may be fading back into the ordinary guy he really is. Until O'Day gets healthy and stays healthy for awhile we just won't know.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Stautner;4022386 said:
Bell, Feliz and Uehara would be a sensational bullpen. If our starting pitchers could get to the 7th - which they ususally do - the pen would look great to finish it off.

By the way, who closes, Bell or Feliz?

Bell said he would set up if he went to a contender, he mentioned if he went to Texas he would set up for Feliz. Although, I would prefer Bell right now because hes just the better closer at this point. Nefti is young and could easily do any of the three innings.

Bell would be my closer, unless Nefti gets back to his crazy good form.

Stautner

Reaction score
Corleone;4022638 said:
Bell said he would set up if he went to a contender, he mentioned if he went to Texas he would set up for Feliz. Although, I would prefer Bell right now because hes just the better closer at this point. Nefti is young and could easily do any of the three innings.

Bell would be my closer, unless Nefti gets back to his crazy good form.

You pretty much echoed my thoughts. I kind of suspect Washington might start off with Feliz as the closer in order to appease him and knowing it will be okay with Bell, but I agree that Bell is the better closer at this point. Feliz may have the better arm, but Bell has the better head.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If Uehara can stay healthy, this was an outstanding trade. Chris doesn't have a place here and he is out of options after this season. His trade value is low because he hasn't proven he can hit major league pitching consistently. If the Rangers try to send him back down next year, he won't get through waivers. The Rangers will just lose him with no return.

Hunter has talent, but I don't think he is a viable long term dominate starter. He deserves another chance, but there is too much talent in the Rangers org that is just better than he is. The Orioles will give both of them a fresh start.

We got a dominating reliever that (baring a quick injury) we will also have next year. We got some value out of Davis who practically has none and traded what I believe to be a better reliever than what we had. Not to mention the trade includes $2M cash to the Rangers.

Can't say enough about Holland. I believe that is three shutouts in four games! :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't use Twitter, but I was searching it for Cowboys news and when I was done, I typed in Texas Rangers and I saw this:

AndrewChu3 Andrew Chu
Leo Nunez traded to the Texas Rangers official word from source #tradedeadline

True? Shrug.

Not sure what I would think about this though. Strikeouts he can do, but a HR ratio of 1.1 per 9/innings and almost a hit per inning. Sounds like someone who throws really really hard but can't pitch very well.

Leo Nunez Stats at Baseball Reference

If they are dumping Arthur Rhodes and not giving up too much, I'm good with this. (if true) He is Florida's closer. (shaky stats and all)

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
nyc;4023250 said:
Hmm. I don't use Twitter, but I was searching it for Cowboys news and when I was done, I typed in Texas Rangers and I saw this:

True? Shrug.

Not sure what I would think about this though. Strikeouts he can do, but a HR ratio of 1.1 per 9/innings and almost a hit per inning. Sounds like someone who throws really really hard but can't pitch very well.

Leo Nunez Stats at Baseball Reference

If they are dumping Arthur Rhodes and not giving up too much, I'm good with this. (if true) He is Florida's closer. (shaky stats and all)

I just searched around and I saw nothing about it but I did hear Jon Daniels is likely to be finished with trades. I wish we would get Heath Bell or Mike Adams (way too expensive), I believe we would be over the top with him.

I did see one tweet that said we acquired him but I'm not sure, no one else said anything.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Corleone;4022020 said:
Well his ERA is 1.72 so thats pretty damn good.

That's a pretty sick ERA. I'm actually suprised that we got him so cheaply! :D