Texas Rangers Thread

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Not sure about the board but this place has news almost as fast as twitter does so it is very convenient, I like hearing other opinions.

I think the Rangers definitely have a chance to get back to the world series. The big weakness was always the bullpen and now we have a really good one. As long as our pitchers can get us 6 innings we will be fine. Our offense is beastly so with this bullpen help I love the team. We gotta get Beltre back and we will be better.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Corleone;4026171 said:
Not sure about the board but this place has news almost as fast as twitter does so it is very convenient, I like hearing other opinions.

I think the Rangers definitely have a chance to get back to the world series. The big weakness was always the bullpen and now we have a really good one. As long as our pitchers can get us 6 innings we will be fine. Our offense is beastly so with this bullpen help I love the team. We gotta get Beltre back and we will be better.

....and hitting against lefties and in day games. :laugh2:

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Stautner;4025627 said:
Of course we really can't say until we have the chance to look at how things pan ou in the long run - if we don't succeed in the playoffs/series, and the guys we trade are high quality MLB pitchers in a few years, we will have come out short. For now, however, in the short term, there is no question we are better. The bullpen just went from shakey to among the better ones in baseball.

Both of the guys the Rangers traded for are under team control in 2012, and Mike Adams is probably the 2012 closer. Even if the Rangers fail to make any noise in the playoffs, I think the trade was worth it. Who cares about "winning" the trade, trades are to make teams better. These deals have done so unquestionably.

Stautner

Reaction score
Corleone;4026171 said:

You are right about the bullpen. With O'Day's injury, the loss of Ogando to the rotation, and Feliz being shakey at times, it's been a weakness. It should be a big strength now.

The one concern I have had all year is how all our inexperienced starters are going to hold out over the course of the season. Even CJ and Lewis don't have much background as full time major league starters, and the other three have never had a full season as a starter at the major league level. Don't get me wrong, they are doing very well, but these guys are charting new territory for themselves all the time - especially Ogando.

The hitting is going to be streaky - it was last year and has really always been for the Rangers. It's always a bit of a concern that the offense will be on a positive streak at the right time in the playoffs, but there really isn't anything that can be done about that. It is what it is.

DIAF;4026358 said:
Both of the guys the Rangers traded for are under team control in 2012, and Mike Adams is probably the 2012 closer. Even if the Rangers fail to make any noise in the playoffs, I think the trade was worth it. Who cares about "winning" the trade, trades are to make teams better. These deals have done so unquestionably.

The closer situation will be interesting next year. A lot of whether Adams becomes the closer next year may depend on whether the team decides to move Feliz to the rotation. If that happens the closer's job gets handed to Adams. Nevertheless, I think there is a chance Adams will be in the picture for the closers role even if Feliz doesn't move to the rotation. If that happens it will be interesting to see how things play out.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I wonder if CJ will be around next year. He will be a FA and the rumors of the Yankees jumping head long into the mix to get him because he is a power throwing lefty.

Not sure the Rangers will be able to afford him. It will open a spot in the rotation for Feliz. Though, if you ask me he isn't anywhere near ready for it. The guy depends way to much on his fastball. So does Ogando, but at least Ogando still throws other pitches. Sometimes Feliz won't throw anything but fastballs.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
nyc;4026719 said:
I wonder if CJ will be around next year. He will be a FA and the rumors of the Yankees jumping head long into the mix to get him because he is a power throwing lefty.

Not sure the Rangers will be able to afford him. It will open a spot in the rotation for Feliz. Though, if you ask me he isn't anywhere near ready for it. The guy depends way to much on his fastball. So does Ogando, but at least Ogando still throws other pitches. Sometimes Feliz won't throw anything but fastballs.

This situation does worry me. I hope he decides to stay because I feel he is only getting better. He has said a few times that he likes the Texas heat because it keeps his arm warm. Which is the only pitcher I have ever heard say that. And he may be saying that just so he isn't bugged with questions concerning if he is staying. I hope we can keep him.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;4025911 said:
Both Hunter and Davis were major league players without positions with the Rangers. That was a great trade even if they turnout otherwise.

The other trade will depend as we aren't talking about prospects that aren't currently major league ready.

I guess I should have been more clear, but I wasn't referring to the trade with Davis and Hunter, I was referring to the one with San Diego that cost the two top quality minor league prospects. If those guys become outstanding major league pitchers, and we don't win now with Adams, we will have come out on the short end of the stick.

As for Davis, I agree with you completely. Hunter I think was still useful - decent long reliever and we knew he could fill a spot in the rotation if needed - but I'm really not that worried about losing him either.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
nyc;4026719 said:

The reason why Feliz throws so many fastballs is exactly because he's a reliever. He's the closer, he's in there to strikeout the 3 guys the other team sends to the plate and he doesn't mess around with anything other than his best pitch. In the rotation, you can be sure he will throw more secondary pitches. The question then becomes how good IS the secondary stuff?

I think the club will let CJ walk. They have to get Feliz into the rotation eventually and this will be the perfect opportunity to do it.

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;4027077 said:
The reason why Feliz throws so many fastballs is exactly because he's a reliever. He's the closer, he's in there to strikeout the 3 guys the other team sends to the plate and he doesn't mess around with anything other than his best pitch. In the rotation, you can be sure he will throw more secondary pitches. The question then becomes how good IS the secondary stuff?

I think the club will let CJ walk. They have to get Feliz into the rotation eventually and this will be the perfect opportunity to do it.

It's kind of a Catch-22. Feliz does rely too much on his fastball, and therefore is too predictable, but you are right that in his role it's hard to take a chance on someone beating you with less than your best pitch. The best closers find a way to deal with that quandry in some way - location, developing a high quality complimentary pitch, knowing the hitters and their tendencies, etc ......

As for CJ, it's hard to imagine us letting him go, but the price tag is going to be pretty high. He's the best starting pitcher we have, so it would be a blow if he gets away.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rangers generally have a tough time in Detroit, but it's time they right the ship. They have only won five of the last twelve games. (a piss poor winning percentage of 41.6%)

If they continue at that rate, the Angels will pass them up. Considering I believe they are at least five games back in the wildcard race if it comes down to that.

They need to start winning and winning now. Put some serious distance between them and the Angels. I think we still have two road series against the Angels in the last half of the season and we are a sub .500 team on the road this year. (26-27) On top of that, we have more away games left than home games which doesn't bode well for how we are playing on the road. (28 away games and 25 home games)

If they want to make another trip to the WS, "It's Time" (to steal the saying from last year) to start making their run. Clean up the piss poor lazy play (with all the errors) and start focusing on baseball.

It doesn't help that Colby has pretty much sucked of late and has been terrible throughout his career against Detroit.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
nyc;4028973 said:
Rangers generally have a tough time in Detroit, but it's time they right the ship. They have only won five of the last twelve games. (a piss poor winning percentage of 41.6%)

If they continue at that rate, the Angels will pass them up. Considering I believe they are at least five games back in the wildcard race if it comes down to that.

They need to start winning and winning now. Put some serious distance between them and the Angels. I think we still have two road series against the Angels in the last half of the season and we are a sub .500 team on the road this year. (26-27) On top of that, we have more away games left than home games which doesn't bode well for how we are playing on the road. (28 away games and 25 home games)

If they want to make another trip to the WS, "It's Time" (to steal the saying from last year) to start making their run. Clean up the piss poor lazy play (with all the errors) and start focusing on baseball.

It doesn't help that Colby has pretty much sucked of late and has been terrible throughout his career against Detroit.

I know the Angels are only two games back, but it's hard to imagine them as a serious threat.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Whats going on with Colby this season, he seems to have regressed for some reason. Seems like he allows a home run in every game. Only 3-1 right now but still, worrisome.

EDIT: And he just got an error.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Haha. I was driving back from Lubbock and got stuck in a traffic jam right on 30 in Arlington beside the ballpark. I was seriously considering just pulling a right onto the Ballpark exit and hitting up this game. Kind of glad I didn't now that I see the score.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
gmoney112;4030435 said:
Haha. I was driving back from Lubbock and got stuck in a traffic jam right on 30 in Arlington beside the ballpark. I was seriously considering just pulling a right onto the Ballpark exit and hitting up this game. Kind of glad I didn't now that I see the score.

That would be lonely in that stadium ;) They are in Detroit :D

Colby struggled, but thanks to Cruz and Napoli (who is on a tear) it is tied up at 5. Now get to see Adams as a Ranger.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Well Adams is making himself right at home in the bullpen. Ugh! Just gave up a solo shot. Now 6-5.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Not good. We're due for a losing streak...probably will be an ugly week. The race for the AL West will be tight. Could come down to the final few weeks.

gmoney112

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4030560 said:
That would be lonely in that stadium ;) They are in Detroit :D

Colby struggled, but thanks to Cruz and Napoli (who is on a tear) it is tied up at 5. Now get to see Adams as a Ranger.

:laugh1:

glad i didn't go then..

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
gmoney112;4030684 said:
:laugh1:

glad i didn't go then..

Haha not a problem. Yesterday I got some friends together, got pizza, and were going to sit down and watch the game. Only I forgot they had an off day, haha.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Didn't see lastnights game, but Lewis is a train wreck. There is something wrong with him lately. He sucks ***.

Shame Adams had to faulter in his first game as a Ranger.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;4031139 said:
Didn't see lastnights game, but Lewis is a train wreck. There is something wrong with him lately. He sucks ***.

Shame Adams had to faulter in his first game as a Ranger.

Lewis started the year off like this, but got it together. I suspect he's just going through a bit of the same now. I think sometimes we start letting ourselves believe Lewis and Wilson are No. 1 level starters and we are surprised when they have problems, but the reality is they are both really just solid No. 2 level guys and just aren't going to be quite as consistent as the true aces in baseball. i will say that C.J. has done a pretty good imitation of an ace this year though.