Texas Rangers Thread

Ranzo

Reaction score
I just got back to Arlington myself after being gone for two wks. My indoor/outdoor thermometer reads 105.2 outside(86 moist degrees inside). Gawd it's an unholy heat. Them fellers will earn their pay this evening, but fortunately the coolest dude of all [CJ] is handling things on the mound for the good guys. Rest easy, boys.

Stautner

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4061386 said:
Anybody of any streaming websites that might have the Rangers games. I'm really wanting to watch tonight. I recently moved to Huntsville, and all I get is Astros games, which is the worst!

You can purchase the baseball package from MLB.com that shows games. The key is if Huntsville is considered in the Rangers "Home Area" or not, which I assume it is not since you don't get them with your cable package. I assume you are in the Astros home area. If Huntsville is considered outside the Rangers "Home Area" you will be good. It will also give you every other major league game execpt the Astros. I believe they will also prorate the price so you are only paying for the portion of the season that is left.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Jim Thome available on waivers after Rangers tried to snag him in the off season. Is he still a fit?

Stautner

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4061386 said:
Anybody of any streaming websites that might have the Rangers games. I'm really wanting to watch tonight. I recently moved to Huntsville, and all I get is Astros games, which is the worst!

Ranzo;4061715 said:
Jim Thome available on waivers after Rangers tried to snag him in the off season. Is he still a fit?

Thome is on waivers now?

Ranzo

Reaction score
Stautner;4061754 said:
Thome is on waivers now?

Yeah, saw it on my twitter feed. Think it was per JJT. I was all for Thome earlier this yr and why not, now. He's not the player he was, tho he does have proven exp in big situations. I'm inclined to say yes.

Stautner

Reaction score
Ranzo;4061857 said:
Yeah, saw it on my twitter feed. Think it was per JJT. I was all for Thome earlier this yr and why not, now. He's not the player he was, tho he does have proven exp in big situations. I'm inclined to say yes.

This seemed odd since Thome was just named AL Player of the Week, so I checked it out. What happened is the Twins put him on waivers so that once he clears they are free to trade him to whoever they want, pending Thome's approval since he is a veteran with a no-trade clause. If he doesn't clear waivers they have the right to bring him back, but if he does clear they have a time limit to seek a trade.

I imagine the idea is that Thome isn't in the long term plans at his age, so they are going to trade him to a contender for a prospect or two.

Don't really see where he would fit with the Rangers since we picked up Napoli once we failed to make a deal with Thome. A good left handed pinch hitter would be nice down the stretch though.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Stautner;4061894 said:
This seemed odd since Thome was just named AL Player of the Week, so I checked it out. What happened is the Twins put him on waivers so that once he clears they are free to trade him to whoever they want, pending Thome's approval since he is a veteran with a no-trade clause. If he doesn't clear waivers they have the right to bring him back, but if he does clear they have a time limit to seek a trade.

I imagine the idea is that Thome isn't in the long term plans at his age, so they are going to trade him to a contender for a prospect or two.

Don't really see where he would fit with the Rangers since we picked up Napoli once we failed to make a deal with Thome. A good left handed pinch hitter would be nice down the stretch though.

Thanks for the info. JJT alluded to the fact that someone would likely not let him go to the Rangers. It is also true that Napoli has exceeded expectations (mine and possibly even Rangers brass). I just have always liked Thome's game.

Ranzo

Reaction score

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ranzo;4061938 said:
Thanks for the info. JJT alluded to the fact that someone would likely not let him go to the Rangers. It is also true that Napoli has exceeded expectations (mine and possibly even Rangers brass). I just have always liked Thome's game.

Nappy has broken the arm of expectations. I believe in playing part time he has already produced more than he did last year with the Angels.

Cap it off with his three run homer tonight! PAYDAY! :laugh2:

Ranzo

Reaction score
nyc;4062236 said:
Nappy has broken the arm of expectations. I believe in playing part time he has already produced more than he did last year with the Angels.

Cap it off with his three run homer tonight! PAYDAY! :laugh2:

Yep. That was exciting. Love the way he get underneath the ball and lifts it out. He's on a mission. Now here, CJ has done his job and this is where the bullpen must do their part. I'm confident. gulp

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Impressive win tonight. This schedule is crazy, 17 straight games without a day off.

Stautner

Reaction score
Ranzo;4061938 said:

If Thome clears waivers then nobody can prevent the Twins from making a trade with Texas. Since the Twins aren't a contender this year they wouldn't have a problem with trading him to an AL team. Besides, their best value would be to trade him to an AL team as a DH - his value in the NL would only be as a pinch hitter.

I still doubt the Rangers would pursue this. Once Beltre gets back they will have an overload of players who deserve AB's - either Napoli, Moreland or Young will have to sit every game - and the Rangers wouldn't offer much for someone they will only use as an ocasssional pinch hitter.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;4062761 said:
If Thome clears waivers then nobody can prevent the Twins from making a trade with Texas. Since the Twins aren't a contender this year they wouldn't have a problem with trading him to an AL team. Besides, their best value would be to trade him to an AL team as a DH - his value in the NL would only be as a pinch hitter.

I still doubt the Rangers would pursue this. Once Beltre gets back they will have an overload of players who deserve AB's - either Napoli, Moreland or Young will have to sit every game - and the Rangers wouldn't offer much for someone they will only use as an ocasssional pinch hitter.

I agree. The Rangers haven't had any issues manning the DH position with a quality hitter. Be it Young, Napoli, Torrealba, Moreland, or Murphy.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Yeah. The one thing the Rangers DON'T need now is a DH.

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;4063047 said:
Yeah. The one thing the Rangers DON'T need now is a DH.

I agree. The biggest battle the Rangers have is with consistency, both with bats and on the mound. In both areas they have the potential to be truly outstanding, and often are, but they are prone to cold spells in both areas as well. This is probably not enough of a problem to keep them out of the playoffs, but it could bite them in the playoffs, just like when the bats went cold in the World Series last year. Admittedly the Giants have a good pitching staff, but the kind of bats the Rangers have shouldn't be held down the way they were throughout the series.

Ranzo

Reaction score
c lewis i s an effective pitcher with a 2.70 era in his last 12 starts but he serves up entirely too many homers. Last time I checked he was tied for first in the league. Maybe work on his placement to the power hitters a tad would prove beneficial.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Lewis was bad tonight but also, Darren Oliver continues to suck. When was the last good game he pitched? They should've dumped him by now but he's the only lefty in the bullpen :banghead: I hope he retires after this season because I get the feeling he's got that Ranger For Life invincibility

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
So much inconsistency. While not the same inconsistency, it is starting to remind me of the late 90s Rangers.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ranzo;4063924 said:
c lewis i s an effective pitcher with a 2.70 era in his last 12 starts but he serves up entirely too many homers. Last time I checked he was tied for first in the league. Maybe work on his placement to the power hitters a tad would prove beneficial.

He has to be close to 30 HRs given up this year. Last I remember he was around 24 and that I think was at least two starts ago. I know he gave up at least two last night.