Texas Rangers Thread

reddyuta

Reaction score
so far the starting pitching has been mediocre at best except Colby and he was the most shaky coming into the post season.

Stautner

Reaction score
I'm thinking they need to give Napoli a break from catching. He was only a part time catcher while he was so hot, and now that he is handling the constannt grind of catching, including through rain delays and extra innings, he seems to have cooled off. I know you lose Moreland's left handed bat if Napoli doesn't catch, but Torrealba has hit well this year, and I think it's more important for Napoli to get refreshed.

I also think we should consider playing Endy Chavez instead of Murphy today. No slight on Murph - he should play most of the time. But Chavez is a high energy guy, he had a good year, he was a key part of a successful OF rotation all year, and he gives us some added speed as well. These first 2 games against Detroit have been a grind, and we are now playing in Detroit without even a travel day between, so a couple of fresh faces might be welcome.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;4173674 said:
I'm thinking they need to give Napoli a break from catching. He was only a part time catcher while he was so hot, and now that he is handling the constannt grind of catching, including through rain delays and extra innings, he seems to have cooled off. I know you lose Moreland's left handed bat if Napoli doesn't catch, but Torrealba has hit well this year, and I think it's more important for Napoli to get refreshed.

I also think we should consider playing Endy Chavez instead of Murphy today. No slight on Murph - he should play most of the time. But Chavez is a high energy guy, he had a good year, he was a key part of a successful OF rotation all year, and he gives us some added speed as well. These first 2 games against Detroit have been a grind, and we are now playing in Detroit without even a travel day between, so a couple of fresh faces might be welcome.

Napoli is hitting .333 with a .391 OBP (highest of anyone on the team), 4 RBIs and has had some big time quality at bats. I don't consider that cooling off. I was extremely disappointed in Moreland's double play to end the 9th yesterday. The only thing I don't like about Nap is he has 8 to 2 SO to walks. Though like I said, he still has almost a .400 OBP even with that.

Now taking Murphy out is something I learn towards not doing. The guy is a player and had made some big time clutch hits. While his numbers aren't like some of our hottest hitters, (1 RBI, 1 run) he has been productive moving players around the bases and is a solid defender.

StylisticS

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4173072 said:
Yeah Hamilton has been solid. They've gotten contributions from almost everyone so far...the only no-shows have been Michael Young and Mitch Moreland, who is probably done at this point. If the Rangers make the World Series, Moreland is out of luck since Young will be playing 1B on the road.

Minor complaint in that I wish Hamilton was little more patient at the plate though. Lately, he has swung at every first pitch it seems and it has led to groundouts. Minor in a way though that if it's a pitch that he likes after he scouts from the pitcher, then hack away.

Stautner

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4173732 said:
Napoli is hitting .333 with a .391 OBP (highest of anyone on the team), 4 RBIs and has had some big time quality at bats. I don't consider that cooling off. I was extremely disappointed in Moreland's double play to end the 9th yesterday. The only thing I don't like about Nap is he has 8 to 2 SO to walks. Though like I said, he still has almost a .400 OBP even with that.

Now taking Murphy out is something I learn towards not doing. The guy is a player and had made some big time clutch hits. While his numbers aren't like some of our hottest hitters, (1 RBI, 1 run) he has been productive moving players around the bases and is a solid defender.

I'm not saying he's cold, but it's cooler than he was. He hit someithing like 390 in September. A day off from catching might be weelcome

Sifillest

Reaction score
hes been pretty good, dont get me wrong. I love Josh as a player. and of course hes a better complete player than cruz. but is a better clutch hitter? Not sure. beltre has probably been more consistent than either of them, but still.

Stautner

Reaction score
Sifillest;4173802 said:
hes been pretty good, dont get me wrong. I love Josh as a player. and of course hes a better complete player than cruz. but is a better clutch hitter? Not sure. beltre has probably been more consistent than either of them, but still.

Of coures you always have to keep in mind that baseball is a game of ups and downs over a long season, and sometimes pitches look like grapefruits and sometimes like golf balls. Besides Josh has had a couple of big hits at key points in the playoffs so far, just not the dramatic ones that Cruz has had. As for Beltre, I have to agree with you on him. I mean no slight to Cruz, but right now Beltre is the guy I would most want to see come up in a key situation.

One of the nice things about the Rangers is there are several guys who you feel pretty good about in key situations. Against Tampa I would have picked Napoli as the guy I would want to see at the plate. Cruz has obviously come through big. Young hasn't had a strong playoffs yet, but how can you not have confidence in him? Moreland has been spotty, but he came through big in the playoffs last year, so you have to feel its in him to do it again. And of course Josh is no slouch either.

yimyammer

Reaction score
that was an odd out, could the runner coming home from third scored if he tagged home before the 3rd basement tagged Cabreira (sp?) or the 3rd base bag?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
lol @ the guy holding the back of his head like a kid like he was so hurt....yet still holding onto the souvenir bat.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
yimyammer;4174210 said:
that was an odd out, could the runner coming home from third scored if he tagged home before the 3rd basement tagged Cabreira (sp?) or the 3rd base bag?

No, there is no scenario in which a run can be scored on a force play with two outs.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Michael Young blew it. We had a chance to stomp on them early in the 1st inning but that double play ruined it.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4174221 said:
No, there is no scenario in which a run can be scored on a force play with two outs.

thx, never followed baseball much (obviously)

looks like this game is over, why did they leave Lewis on the mound after the last inning?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
yimyammer;4174227 said:
looks like this game is over, why did they leave Lewis on the mound after the last inning?

The bullpen put in a lot of pitches last game and, already being up 2-0, it's honestly better to lose one game than dipping into it early again in a game that will be tough to win anyway.

If the game were 5-4 and the Rangers were hitting well, you'd probably see us going to the pen after Lewis gave up that first homerun. The safe play though is to just hope Lewis keeps it a close game and and our hitters somehow pull one out of their butts. If not, you're still up 2-1 and all you need is one of the next two in Detroit to essentially salt the series away (MLB teams with a 3-2 lead and two chances to clinch at home win the series something like 85% of the time).

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The bullpen needs the rest...Colby had to go 6 innings for better or worse after game 2's extra innings. We're not winning this series unless the entire offense gets it together though. Can't have one player bailing them out every game and expect to win the series.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4174233 said:
The bullpen needs the rest...Colby had to go 6 innings for better or worse after game 2's extra innings. We're not winning this series unless the entire offense gets it together though. Can't have one player bailing them out every game and expect to win the series.

Correction: We won't win the World Series if our hitters don't get it together. We have five chances to win two games against Detroit and three of their four best hitters are either out altogether or injured. We can play average baseball and win this series.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Considering the Rangers just can't seem to win in Detroit, it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped all 3 games there, especially with Verlander starting game 5. It's not looking too good unless they snap out of this "Home run or bust" offense