The Bailey penalty

Hardline

Reaction score
Bailey was just trying to slow down that quick strike high powered,High scoring iggle offense.

foofighters

Reaction score
I honestly thought Murray was getting called, because it looked like he swung at him.

Just a weird sequence overall.

I thought Murray would be called for taunting. He was running at the mouth toward Bailey before he got to him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cmon, he wasn't trying to hold him up. He grabs him. It was a stupid reaction, and it warranted a penalty.

I saw a very different angle and it was clear Murray initiated the contact first and then Bailey held onto him. So was a penalty warranted? At most something should've been assessed to Murray and make it offsetting. He was out of control when he went out of bounds.

And for a moment, lets let logic take hold for a min. Bailey's not likely to initiate contact on the sidelines as a DB or LB would. Heck, he wasn't even in that gray area where players sometimes stand on the sidelines.

It was a dumb penalty and shouldn't have been called.

Reaction score
I saw a very different angle and it was clear Murray initiated the contact first and then Bailey held onto him. So was a penalty warranted? At most something should've been assessed to Murray and make it offsetting. He was out of control when he went out of bounds.

And for a moment, lets let logic take hold for a min. Bailey's not likely to initiate contact on the sidelines as a DB or LB would. Heck, he wasn't even in that gray area where players sometimes stand on the sidelines.

This is what I saw as well. This game was horribly over-officiated.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I thought it was one of poorest officiated games I've seen in awhile, then I watched the Packers-Seahawks game.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
lol, you guys are bias nutjobs. Bailey pulled on him preventing him from returning to the field. That is obstruction (or unsportsmanlike conduct) Bailey deserved the penalty whether it was intentional or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I honestly thought Murray was getting called, because it looked like he swung at him.

Just a weird sequence overall.

I did too. I thought the swing was what got flagged.

And I was laughing at Murray's faux outrage/tough guy act yesterday. It was almost like he was trying too hard to be that pissed off player who wants to get back at his old team. It was bizarre.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You and me both? How is that not a TD. I think the NFL out thinks it's self sometimes.

Part of our society in that we have too many lawyers. They will suddenly say 'well, if you look at it from this perspective' despite the fact that it was...plain as day...a TD. Just like Dez caught that ball.

YR

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Murray initiates contact awkwardly, like he could have avoided Bailey altogether but instead puts his hand in his chest and pushes him, Bailey holds on, Murray turns around and throws the ball in his chest.

I'm biased, but it should have been on demarco, on both of them, or nothing at all. Bailey taking all the brunt made no sense.

Just another example of biased officials trying to give the other team a chance to beat us.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Cmon, he wasn't trying to hold him up. He grabs him. It was a stupid reaction, and it warranted a penalty.

You are so wrong on this (as usual). Murray pushed him, Bailey grabs him for balance, and Murray throws the ball in his face. A penalty was warranted, but it should have been on Murray.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

The second person always gets caught. Bailey put his hands on Murray and got caught. He is on the sidelines. He's out of the play. Murray is part of the play. Yes, he stops at Bailey, and, yes, he barks at Bailey and, yes, he appears to put his hands on Bailey. But that can be interpreted as Murray trying to stop his momentum and getting hyped. Those aren't penalties. A kicker, then, grabbing your arm when he has no business doing so because he's not a part of the play ... I believe the penalty was warranted.
And he's a kicker at that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You are so wrong on this (as usual). Murray pushed him, Bailey grabs him for balance, and Murray throws the ball in his face. A penalty was warranted, but it should have been on Murray.

Pulease. Bailey doesn't grab him for balance. He has a smile on his face. So does the equipment manager, coach or whoever that non-uniformed man was looking on. Bailey doesn't look in peril of falling. Either he didn't like what Murray said, or he didn't like Murray putting his hands on him.
Furthermore, Murray putting his hands on Bailey could be interpreted as him trying to stop his momentum. But Bailey has no reason to put his hands on Murray. And the second man always gets the penalty.
It was correctly called.
Bailey trying to balance himself? :lmao:
Suuurrreeee he was.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Pulease. Bailey doesn't grab him for balance. He has a smile on his face. He doesn't look in peril of falling. Either he didn't like what Murray said, or he didn't like Murray putting his hands on him.
Furthermore, Murray putting his hands on Bailey could be interpreted as him trying to stop his momentum. But Bailey has no reason to put his hands on Murray.
It was correctly called a penalty.
Suuurrreeee!

a non call would of been perfectly acceptable.

PJDallasfan

Reaction score
It looked on the replay like Murray said something to Bailey before turning away, and then Bailey grabbed him. I would have liked to see someone step to Murray after he tossed the ball at him

I think if I remember correctly Lee walked by and shoulder Murray after the bogus penalty against Bailey, but I could be wrong!!

Cowboys for life!! :starspin:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
a non call would of been perfectly acceptable.

Maybe, but you can't have guys on the sideline and not a part of the play getting involved with a player who left the field because he was shoved out of bounds or his momentum carried him out of bounds. So I can see why they called it as such.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Maybe, but you can't have guys on the sideline and not a part of the play getting involved with a player who left the field and was shoved out of bounds. So I can see why they called it as such.

this "involvement" was too minor to call. the only escalation of the situation was Murray, and it was because his pride was hurt.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
this "involvement" was too minor to call. the only escalation of the situation was Murray, and it was because his pride was hurt.

It look to me like Murray was trying to get fired up. Nevertheless, I disagree with you. Bailey is not in the play. He cannot go putting his hands on a man who IS in the play who happens to veer out of bounds. You don't want to establish a precedence where this is acceptable, and so you throw a flag. Makes the next guy think before he doesn't something stupid like Bailey did.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Pulease. Bailey doesn't grab him for balance. He has a smile on his face. So does the equipment manager, coach or whoever that non-uniformed man was looking on. Bailey doesn't look in peril of falling. Either he didn't like what Murray said, or he didn't like Murray putting his hands on him.
Furthermore, Murray putting his hands on Bailey could be interpreted as him trying to stop his momentum. But Bailey has no reason to put his hands on Murray. And the second man always gets the penalty.
It was correctly called.
Suuurrreeee he was.

You're blind as a bat. Murray didn't need to touch Bailey to stop his momentum. It wasn't a bracing action, it was a push. Bailey reacts (as his momentum starts to go backwards) and grabs the arm. It's clear as day in the video. You just like to go against the grain. It's your MO. Just like being wrong is.