The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

glimmerman

Reaction score
Because as we have seen, the Seahawks are going through a change and probably don't want to anchor themselves to a contract that Thomas says he wants to be the largest for a safety. If you have paid attention they have cut some players from their defense as they remake it. They more than likely want Thomas to play out for his remaining 8.5MM and then make a decision after the season to see what they want to do.
Have you heard if the seahags have given him a offer for a extension or just want him to finish his contract? They may want to ditch him next year. And have a 10 million dollar top safety for 8.5.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I guess so, thought that would go over easily.
I'm edging away from trading for ET, but even I would do that in an instant.

My point is that the guy wants an extension, in Seattle or from anybody that trades for him. Nobody is getting around that fact and if someone traded for him and tried not to extend him, you'd just be inheriting Seattle's headache.

Any trade for him comes with the condition of a contract extension. They're inseparable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Getting hurt hurts his cause.

It's a strange situation because he's only going to sign long-term here. Other teams are spooked by that and aren't offering much.

So we have this game of chicken. I think we need to bend a bit out of respect for Thomas and the need he fills.

Give them a good young player or a 2nd rounder.

I said from the beginning I would give up a 2nd that is as high as I would go. I understand the writers point and I understand yours as well about injury. Thomas knows with Richard Sherman and some others gone and Kam Chancellor retiring that the Seahawks are in a rebuild mode on defense and being in the last year of his deal I get why he wants an extension or trade.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I said from the beginning I would give up a 2nd that is as high as I would go. I understand the writers point and I understand yours as well about injury. Thomas knows with Richard Sherman and some others gone and Kam Chancellor retiring that the Seahawks are in a rebuild mode on defense and being in the last year of his deal I get why he wants an extension or trade.
And if there defense is in rebuild without 2 other elite players the secondary is not going to be near as good and he is not going to look near as good. His age and not looking as good don’t help with wanting elite money for the next contract. It’s do or die for him getting top dollar.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
My point is that the guy wants an extension, in Seattle or from anybody that trades for him. Nobody is getting around that fact and if someone traded for him and tried not to extend him, you'd just be inheriting Seattle's headache.

Any trade for him comes with the condition of a contract extension. They're inseparable.
Oh I understand, but I'm trying to understand more thoroughly from the perspective of those very much against the trade. Is it more the extension that posters don't like or is the compensation given up?

erod

Reaction score

It's a fascinating scenario when you just look at it objectively.

Surely, Seattle can't allow him to play now. He's made his feelings way too known, beginning with that comment to Garrett after the game last year. The locker room will be contaminated with him in there now.

But Thomas has to report at the end of camp because the money loss starts to get huge if he doesn't. Nor can he sit out the year because he needs to accrue the year or they'll own his rights next year.

Dallas is bidding against nobody, but a mere 3rd rounder isn't much better than the comp pick they'd get for just cutting him loose.

Unless Dallas offers a 2nd, the Seahawks are in the catbird seat. They get a 3rd anyway for doing nothing.

Dallas has to make this move. Seattle need not do anything until the Cowboys sweeten the deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I understand, but I'm trying to understand more thoroughly from the perspective of those very much against the trade. Is it more the extension that posters don't like or is the compensation given up?

To quote Deion Sanders: "Both!"

Many of us very much want the player and what he would add to what looks like an already very good defense, but not at all costs or being reckless. There are limits. And I think the current situation and impasse shows that.

My own parameters are a 3rd round pick and surplus player and a contract extension in the range of 4-years, $40 million, with half guaranteed.

Any higher costs than that and I'll be much less thrilled about the move.

I've mentioned before that I feel that all sides have to compromise and I think that those terms are more than fair on the Cowboys part.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And if there defense is in rebuild without 2 other elite players the secondary is not going to be near as good and he is not going to look near as good. His age and not looking as good don’t help with wanting elite money for the next contract. It’s do or die for him getting top dollar.

Age did not hinder Eric Berry Contract. Contract I think Cowboys can deal with for me it is not giving up more than a 2nd.

erod

Reaction score

Many of us very much want the player and what he would add to what looks like an already very good defense, but not at all costs or being reckless. There are limits. And I think the current situation and impasse shows that.

My own parameters are a 3rd round pick and surplus player and a contract extension in the range of 4-years, $40 million, with half guaranteed.

I've mentioned before that I feel that all sides have to compromise and I think that those terms are more than fair on the Cowboys part.

Seattle gets a 3rd round comp pick anyway. That's not enticing to them at all.

Earl Thomas is not a reckless signing. He's a pro's pro that will bring far more than just his athletic ability to the locker room.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Surely, Seattle can't allow him to play now. He's made his feelings way too known, beginning with that comment to Garrett after the game last year. The locker room will be contaminated with him in there now.

But Thomas has to report at the end of camp because the money loss starts to get huge if he doesn't. Nor can he sit out the year because he needs to accrue the year or they'll own his rights next year.

Dallas is bidding against nobody, but a mere 3rd rounder isn't much better than the comp pick they'd get for just cutting him loose.

Unless Dallas offers a 2nd, the Seahawks are in the catbird seat. They get a 3rd anyway for doing nothing.

Dallas has to make this move. Seattle need not do anything until the Cowboys sweeten the deal.

You're going to keep pushing this false narrative of "they'd get a 3rd"?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

4 year 40 mill was his last contract. I don't mind going above that and make part of it incentive based.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seattle gets a 3rd round comp pick anyway. That's not enticing to them at all.

Earl Thomas is not a reckless signing. He's a pro's pro that will bring far more than just his athletic ability to the locker room.

Keep banging that false drum.

erod

Reaction score
You're going to keep pushing this false narrative of "they'd get a 3rd"?

They're going to get a comp pick if they just lose him in free agency. And if he plays like himself, it very well could be a 3rd.

Also, if Seattle just sits tight, they can get a 2nd for him during the season when a good team loses a safety to injury for the year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4 year 40 mill was his last contract. I don't mind going above that and make part of it incentive based.

And I think that's paying him accordingly. Certainly more than most everyone not named Berry. And it would be doing so in what is clearly a declining market. Safeties are scrambling for work and walking the streets right now. I think $10 million a year is more than fair, escpecialky when you factor in that the team has to also give draft compensation.

Like I said, everyone needs to make some concessions for this to happen, including the player. If he expects to get every single thing he wants, he's mistaken.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Because of what your saying about them not letting him play now, being a locker room and team distraction and no other bidders (because of the chasing JG down and saying come get me no other team will really offer). I would say The Cowboys are in a good spot also. Stick with offering the 3rd round pick. (Which for some reason I am not a fan of.) The seahags will have to do something soon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're going to get a comp pick if they just lose him in free agency. And if he plays like himself, it very well could be a 3rd.

And if they do nothing and don't sign anyone in free agency. You noticeably keep omitting that part of the equation.

Also, if Seattle just sits tight, they can get a 2nd for him during the season when a good team loses a safety to injury for the year.

Wow! Now there's a reach if ever I heard one!
:omg: