The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They better hope so, because a basically 4th round pick ain't no great shakes buddy.

And even that pick is contingent on what they do in free agency. But that's a factor that erod wants to continue to pretend doesn't exist.

If the rebuilding Seahawks make any significant signing of their own, they're not getting that "guaranteed" pick that he wants to perpetuate.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's better than the 4th or 5th rounder everybody seems to want to offer. Even Dallas' 3rd is only about 10-12 spots higher than that comp 3rd. It's going to take more than that to get Seattle to move.

They'll just wait for a team to get desperate during the season if they have to. No cheaper time than the present for Dallas.

Seattle sat on Kam Chancellor in this same situation a few years ago.
Oh, I'd do a 3rd in a heartbeat. I don't about other people saying 4th and 5th's. I maintain my stance though that they better hope he gets traded because the compensation is worse than a 3rd from any team.
And those kind of trades, mid-season, are few and far between. This isn't the NBA.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Why? They could just walk away and get a high comp pick for him.
Like you said. They really can’t let him play. If I am JJ then I wait. They walk away and I snag him. He is familiar with the secondary scheme.

Corso

Reaction score
And even that pick is contingent on what they do in free agency. But that's a factor that erod wants to continue to pretend doesn't exist.

If the rebuilding Seahawks make any significant signing of their own, they're not getting that "guaranteed" pick that he wants to perpetuate.
It's common sense.
They pretty much have to trade this guy to get max value and everybody in the NFL knows their best-case situation as far as compensation.
There is no bidding war between teams and I doubt there will be, unless some rando team wants to throw in just when the Cowboys are ready to deal.
I don't see it.

erod

Reaction score
Oh, I'd do a 3rd in a heartbeat. I don't about other people saying 4th and 5th's. I maintain my stance though that they better hope he gets traded because the compensation is worse than a 3rd from any team.
And those kind of trades, mid-season, are few and far between. This isn't the NBA.

Rare, but they do happen. This is a unique situation with a unique player.

Seattle isn't budging for a 3rd. Don't have to. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th? A third and Terrance Williams or Jourdan Lewis? A 4th and Xavier Woods?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
$10 million a year is "lowballing the player?
:huh:

Then I'll ask you, should the Cowboys give significant trade compensation and then have to turn around and give Thomas $13 million a year?

What smart team does that? Using considerable draft resources to then turn around and have to pay a player top dollar?

Where is Earl Thomas' compromise in all of this? Does he simply get everything he wants while "the team's figure it out"?

If that's his actual position, it's no wonder nothing is getting done, it shouldn't . And if that's truly the case, he can rot in Seattle.

I would do a contract with incentives to reach the 13. Does Earl get everything he wants? if he lives up to the incentives. For me it is simple I do it to make this team better to add a playmaker in the secondary. It is lowballing when the players who are paid more now that are not as good other than Berry. Sorry never had an issue paying top money for top play, where I draw the line is paying big money for avg play and we have seen that before

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's common sense.
They pretty much have to trade this guy to get max value and everybody in the NFL knows their best-case situation as far as compensation.
There is no bidding war between teams and I doubt there will be, unless some rando team wants to throw in just when the Cowboys are ready to deal.
I don't see it.

Nobody does. Because it doesn't exist.

But an impatient fan is determined to create false urgency because it's not happening as soon as they would like.

Part of any successful negotiation is to have the willingness and conviction to walk away. If you can't, you may as well give the other side everything they want and save time. And get pantsed.

erod

Reaction score
Like you said. They really can’t let him play. If I am JJ then I wait. They walk away and I snag him. He is familiar with the secondary scheme.

Seattle just sat on Kam Chancellor when he held out. They'll do the same here.

The price will only get steeper early in the season. Guys will get hurt, and teams will get desperate.

Corso

Reaction score
Rare, but they do happen. This is a unique situation with a unique player.

Seattle isn't budging for a 3rd. Don't have to. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th? A third and Terrance Williams or Jourdan Lewis? A 4th and Xavier Woods?
Well, why don't we go back to a comment you made earlier: You think this is a 7-9 team without him and a 9-7 team with him.
If that's the case, why bother? Why lose draft capital for a guy when you aren't even going to make the playoffs, in your mind?

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Why? They could just walk away and get a high comp pick for him.
then why hasn't somebody actually traded for him yet? their asking price is too high and they getting the better end of the deal
they walk out of an expensive contract (their own) and get a brand new long-term with a high draft pick. It's an uneven trade agreement.

erod

Reaction score
Nobody does. Because it doesn't exist.

But an impatient fan is determined to create false urgency because it's not happening as soon as they would like.

Part of any successful negotiation is to have the willingness and conviction to walk away. If you can't, you may as well give the other side everything they want and save time. And get pantsed.

You want him in Carolina? There is urgency.

Or do you want to leave that deep middle wide open for Carolina, New York, Houston, and Detroit?

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Well, why don't we go back to a comment you made earlier: You think this is a 7-9 team without him and a 9-7 team with him.
If that's the case, why bother? Why lose draft capital for a guy when you aren't even going to make the playoffs, in your mind?
throw in Chaz Green as a bonus to sweeten the deal. lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Earl Thomas Contract with the Seahawks

Earl Thomas signed a 4 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $9,500,000 signing bonus, $25,725,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000. In 2018, Thomas will earn a base salary of $8,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,400,000 and a dead cap value of $1,900,000.

He won't earn $8,500,000 if he chooses not to play. That's a lot of money to throw away.

erod

Reaction score
then why hasn't somebody actually traded for him yet? their asking price is too high and they getting the better end of the deal
they walk out of an expensive contract (their own) and get a brand new long-term with a high draft pick. It's an uneven trade agreement.

Because every team knows he's coming here in 2019. They aren't trading for a guy that has no intention of staying there. I wouldn't either for just a one-year deal.

It's just a matter of whether he's coming to Dallas now, or eight months from now.

erod

Reaction score
He won't earn $8,500,000 if he chooses not to play. That's a lot of money to throw away.

He'll show up at the end of camp, but that's toxic for their locker room at this point. They probably can't play him, but they'll have to pay him.

Corso

Reaction score
Because every team knows he's coming here in 2019. They aren't trading for a guy that has no intention of staying there. I wouldn't either for just a one-year deal.

It's just a matter of whether he's coming to Dallas now, or eight months from now.
Nah... he wants to play here, but he wants a last big, fat extension more.
He'll stay where he's traded to, if he gets that.

This isn't Kawhi wanting to go to LA.

erod

Reaction score

This team needs Dak to step up and win 4 or 5 games. With Earl Thomas and a better defense, it needs Dak to win 1 or 2. That's my point.

Earl Thomas could really make this exciting young defense a top tier group. Dallas runs the ball like a freight train. Then, they have a chance with a learning QB.

It's the Seattle formula to a T.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's better than the 4th or 5th rounder everybody seems to want to offer. Even Dallas' 3rd is only about 10-12 spots higher than that comp 3rd. It's going to take more than that to get Seattle to move.

They'll just wait for a team to get desperate during the season if they have to. No cheaper time than the present for Dallas.

Seattle sat on Kam Chancellor in this same situation a few years ago.

I don't know how the price tag would be hire mid-season, even if a team decided it needed extra help at safety. By that point a team would only be paying for part of a season, and the value is even less If ET is sitting at home during the season rather than staying in shape with the team. And then, there is still the issue of whether the team would be paying for a short term rental or if they could reach a reasonable deal on a longer term contract.