The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

erod

Reaction score
This doesnt help your case.

Which of those players is a safety?

I can name off players such as cousins, Solder, and Keenum who will get 3rd round comp picks next year. What does that prove?

The Cowboys entire season depends on getting this deal done. These safeties will get absolutely torched without him back there. Xavier Woods is raw meat for Brees, Ryan, Foles, etc.

Is that pressing enough for you?

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
And if there defense is in rebuild without 2 other elite players the secondary is not going to be near as good and he is not going to look near as good. His age and not looking as good don’t help with wanting elite money for the next contract. It’s do or die for him getting top dollar.
The Legion of Doom is gone forever. Letting the few that are left walk away at this point, to me, is a mute point. Their D is OVER and Seattle has to totally rebuild it. And they know it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't Leonard Davis or Roy Williams. This is a bonafide NFL star player.

Did you quote the wrong post? I was talking about the Cowboys giving in and releasing Ratliff and Kyle Orton.

erod

Reaction score
Neither side, at this point, wants to conduct business with the other. Stalemate or cut the deal. If nothing happens, everybody loses.

I think one thing that is slowing this deal down is that Dallas knows Thomas already knows Richard's system, so he can step right in with very little time. And Seattle has no real need to act either at the moment.

So here we are.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I may be wrong, but I thought with an unrestricted free agent the draft compensation didn't come from the new team, but was rather just an added pick granted by the NFL.

What you're saying is accurate. What did you get from my post? My point is that the Cowboys would have to give up draft picks to Seattle for Thomas and then have to pay him on top of that

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither side, at this point, wants to conduct business with the other. Stalemate or cut the deal. If nothing happens, everybody loses.

But do the Seahawks lose even more if other players do the same as Thomas knowing that the Seahawks are willing to give in? Thomas stands to lose a lot of money by sitting out the season, and the Seahawks are almost surely not going to be contenders this year anyway, so they may not be willing to set a precedent that could haunt them in the future.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The Cowboys entire season depends on getting this deal done. These safeties will get absolutely torched without him back there. Xavier Woods is raw meat for Brees, Ryan, Foles, etc.

Is that pressing enough for you?

And you change the subject entirely to something I'm not interested in.

erod

Reaction score
And you change the subject entirely to something I'm not interested in.

"Just a safety" has nothing to do with it. Ed Reed was "just a safety", but he was about the most impactful defensive player in the NFL.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Then it would have to be just Earl for that 3rd and 5th.
Maybe we get ET and there 3rd for our 2nd and 5th. Still don’t like giving up our 2nd. JJ likes to gamble with that pick. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
But do the Seahawks lose even more if other players do the same as Thomas knowing that the Seahawks are willing to give in? Thomas stands to lose a lot of money by sitting out the season, and the Seahawks are almost surely not going to be contenders this year anyway, so they may not be willing to set a precedent that could haunt them in the future.

I think this whole notion of precedent gets overplayed because we have seen guys hold out before, get what they want and it hasn't led to this rush of hold outs. Very few players have the gravitas and power to hold out. I don't think the Seahawks giving him a new deal eventually or trading him will suddenly start a avalanche of guys now thinking they can hold out and get what they want from Seattle.

Just MO.

erod

Reaction score
Maybe we get ET and there 3rd for our 2nd and 5th. Still don’t like giving up our 2nd. JJ likes to gamble with that pick. Lol

What are the odds that we draft anyone with that 2nd pick that is as good as Earl Thomas is for 3-4 years?

About 1%.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought when you said " It's not simply paying the guy, it's giving up draft compensation to do it" you were indicating that the signing team would have to commit to a big contract and also give up a draft pick". It appeared that "giving up draft compensation" refers to the signing team having to give up a pick. If that wasn't the intent, or if I missed something in context, I apologize.

No need to apologize, I'm happy to clarify it.

It's specific to Earl Thomas. Seattle wants compensation for him.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Why? Seattle should NOT have to pay part of a salary that Dallas negotiates with him.
Because it is Seattle's contract as well. Everything is negotiable, my friend.
And we are giving our 2nd rounder to them.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this whole notion of precedent gets overplayed because we have seen guys hold out before, get what they want and it hasn't led to this rush of hold outs. Very few players have the gravitas and power to hold out. I don't think the Seahawks giving him a new deal eventually or trading him will suddenly start a avalanche of guys now thinking they can hold out and get what they want from Seattle.

Just MO.

Seattle has a precedent of taking hard stances with players before. They did with Kam Chancellor. He held out and got nothing for it. To add to that, the team ultimately got burned when they did extend him two years later. So once bitten twice shy.

That said, I don't know how both parties mend fences on week one and he simply shows up and plays like nothing ever happened.