The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
"Just a safety" has nothing to do with it. Ed Reed was "just a safety", but he was about the most impactful defensive player in the NFL.

And you change the subject again out of the blue, like clockwork.

You're quoting "just a safety" as if somebody said hes just a safety.
You're the only one saying just a safety, ive never said that. Learn how to use quotations correctly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this whole notion of precedent gets overplayed because we have seen guys hold out before, get what they want and it hasn't led to this rush of hold outs. Very few players have the gravitas and power to hold out. I don't think the Seahawks giving him a new deal eventually or trading him will suddenly start a avalanche of guys now thinking they can hold out and get what they want from Seattle.

Just MO.

It's very rare for a player to force a trade, and typically it's not just the player getting what they want. but rather both the player and team compromise and reach an agreement. If one side or the other, or both, are inflexible and unwilling to compromise, then a deal doesn't get done. The Seahawks seem pretty resolved at this point.

J12B

Reaction score
I take it that the front office is under the belief that the d-line is going to take another step forward this year due to Lawrence entering his prime and other players stepping up and improving (Taco, Gregory, Irving, Collins, Crawford, Ward, Woods).

The LB unit should go from average to good this year with Lee, a 100% healthy Jaylon, additions of 1st rounder LVE and Joe Thomas. And "good" is on the conservative side.

The young secondary now has a coach (Richards) that can guide them to the next level.

If all those units are better than last year, the Safety play will be fine and does not need to be at an elite level in order to get to a Superbowl, since we have a top 3 offensive line unit and an elite rusher whose presence on the field helps open up the passing game. The offense is going to put up points with a healthy Zeke and healthy Oline.

There is no need to go after an aging Safety that will lock up a significant portion of cap space over the next couple of year's and a 3rd round draft pick or even a 2nd rounder.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No need to apologize, I'm happy to clarify it.

It's specific to Earl Thomas. Seattle wants compensation for him.

I see now what the misunderstanding was. I thought the discussion had drifted to what would happen next year once ET became a free agent, but you were talking about a trade scenario this year. I was picking up bits and pieces and had the context wrong.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Or ET gets hurt. Lol. Our luck.
That would be my bargaining chip. Thomas' production has gone down the last few years. That's why I would make Seattle eat part of Thomas' contract.
We would be giving Seattle youth and the future at a cheap price for 4-5 years. They are selling us a certified used car with possible 3-4 years of good performance, so their price needs to come down. We are giving them the down payment they want and they need to give us back a good fair expectation of the money we are going to have to put into the certified car the next few years.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
What are the odds that we draft anyone with that 2nd pick that is as good as Earl Thomas is for 3-4 years?

About 1%.

Well the Cowboys just drafted a second round offensive lineman who looks to be a fixture on the line for a long long time. Additionally, that player will cost us a fraction of what ET would cost. These picks are gold when a team is working against the salary cap. The true salary cap cost of ET includes not only his salary, but the loss of a salary cap saving draft pick.

Personally, I have no confidence ET will continue to perform at a pro-bowl level for 3-4 years. He would be a short term upgrade, no doubt- but the true price would continue to be felt years after he is long gone.

erod

Reaction score
Well the Cowboys just drafted a second round offensive lineman who looks to be a fixture on the line for a long long time. Additionally, that player will cost us a fraction of what ET would cost. These picks are gold when a team is working against the salary cap. The true salary cap cost of ET includes not only his salary, but the loss of a salary cap saving draft pick.

Personally, I have no confidence ET will continue to perform at a pro-bowl level for 3-4 years. He would be a short term upgrade, no doubt- but the true price would continue to be felt years after he is long gone.

Safeties can play well into their 30s. A long time.

And this is one of the best players in the history of the NFL and a future Hall of Famer. Connor Williams is just a starting guard. HUGE difference.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
And you change the subject again out of the blue, like clockwork.

You're quoting "just a safety" as if somebody said hes just a safety.
You're the only one saying just a safety, ive never said that. Learn how to use quotations correctly.
That's erod for you...

erod

Reaction score
That would be my bargaining chip. Thomas' production has gone down the last few years. That's why I would make Seattle eat part of Thomas' contract.
We would be giving Seattle youth and the future at a cheap price for 4-5 years. They are selling us a certified used car with possible 3-4 years of good performance, so their price needs to come down. We are giving them the down payment they want and they need to give us back a good fair expectation of the money we are going to have to put into the certified car the next few years.

Why? They could just walk away and get a high comp pick for him.

Corso

Reaction score
Why? They could just walk away and get a high comp pick for him.
Best case would be very end of the 3rd. Which is basically a 4th. And that's very best case and they aren't going to be signing many FA's, if they want to keep it. Yippee...

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Earl Thomas Contract with the Seahawks

Earl Thomas signed a 4 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $9,500,000 signing bonus, $25,725,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000. In 2018, Thomas will earn a base salary of $8,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,400,000 and a dead cap value of $1,900,000.

erod

Reaction score
Best case would be very end of the 3rd. Which is basically a 4th. And that's very best case and they aren't going to be signing many FA's, if they want to keep it. Yippee...

Seattle can just sit and wait for our safeties to get torched and we get desperate. Or, they can wait for a contender to lose a safety to injury for the season. They're going to get a high draft pick, one way or the other.

Corso

Reaction score
Seattle can just sit and wait for our safeties to get torched and we get desperate. Or, they can wait for a contender to lose a safety to injury for the season. They're going to get a high draft pick, one way or the other.
They better hope so, because a basically 4th round pick ain't no great shakes buddy.

erod

Reaction score
They better hope so, because a basically 4th round pick ain't no great shakes buddy.

It's better than the 4th or 5th rounder everybody seems to want to offer. Even Dallas' 3rd is only about 10-12 spots higher than that comp 3rd. It's going to take more than that to get Seattle to move.

They'll just wait for a team to get desperate during the season if they have to. No cheaper time than the present for Dallas.

Seattle sat on Kam Chancellor in this same situation a few years ago.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Football happens. He hasn't had the serious or nagging type of injury. But yeah, that goes for all of them. Tyron Smith worries me.
Tyron worries me also. He had a shot last year or the year before last to get it fixed and they say he don’t need it. I think he is afraid to get it done. He will be treated like Romo this year with a extra day off during the week. Likely show up for the film study and therapy. Then suit up for the game.