The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Yeah, don't want to accelerate the process by improving the roster with a talent like Earl Thomas. Take it nice and slow.
You mean the way we’ve accelerated the process with talents like a certain CB and a certain DE we signed in free agency in the past?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The way things are shaping up right now, along with the respect our new secondary coach has garnered through camp to this point, if he was on the table begging Jerry to make a deal for Thomas, JJ will get it done befor preseason winds down. If he’s not banging the table for Thomas, that’s all I need to know.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Heaven forbid this team takes initiative and tries to improve the roster in an area with alarming need. Yeah, lets keep rolling out Jeff Heath and expect different results. I don't get it. ET would make this defense legit and people covet mid round draft picks that much where they would not want to do it? Baffling.

We have not had a legit safety on this team since Roy Williams and ET is much better than he was. You can talk yourself into it all you want but ET is legit and is worth the trade. Who cares if you have to pay him. You have to pay for talent in any sport. We are in great shape in the salary cap in the upcoming years anyways where it would not be an issue.

I don't understand why so many want to continue down this same path of our defensive philosophy and expecting different results.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
You mean the way we’ve accelerated the process with talents like a certain CB and a certain DE we signed in free agency in the past?

What does Brandon Carr have to do with Earl Thomas? So because it didn't work with Carr, the same thing will be true for ET? Carr was below average in KC but looked good in their secondary. Thomas made the Legion Of Boom what it was with Chancellor. Huge difference. And safety is a glaring need for us. If Jeff Heath starts for you, that is not good.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I won't shed any tears if it doesn't happen because there is a cost (probably 2nd rounder) and a risk that comes with it. If he gets injured we pretty much wasted a 2nd. The reason I liked the idea of him being on this team is because he is an impact player. No single defender, no matter how good, is going to do much for your overall defense. You need multiple impact players on defense to make a real difference. We have a few right now, Lee, Lawrence, and who knows which others may step up? We may have more than we know right now so I thought E.T. might fit in well.

As far as him being out for himself, at some point in your career you have to be because no one else will. He's aging and he knows he's not getting another contract from Seattle. He's doing the only logical thing at this point in his career. It actually benefits both sides if Seattle trades him during their rebuilding stage.

You do realize a great safety makes your defense better, right? You don't think the impact players we already have will get even better? And the whole secondary will be that much better. You are seriously undervaluing the value he brings and the safety position in general. Dallas has too forever now. Hence why our defense is always terrible.

You want to win NOW. While Dak and Zeke are on rookie deals. What are we waiting for? Philly went out last offseason and grabbed players they needed. They made a trade mid season for a RB. Which I'm sure would be a bad idea to everyone on here. How long are you wanting to wait and stay passive?Dak and Zeke are now in their 3rd seasons. The time to go after it is now. We aren't the Browns where a vet like that would not make a huge difference. Start filling in the holes we have with guys who have proven themselves.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Good point. If at first you don't succeed, quit trying. Our roster is good enough. No excuses for Garrett not to win this year.

Exactly. I'm tired of being passive and trying to be salary cap champions and getting all these "good value" guys in here who are average and mediocre but hey, they are cheap! And we wonder why our defense never has any playmakers and is the root of all our playoff failures when it matters. The offense is not the problem. It's the defense. That side of the ball has been an issue for a long time. Especially DT and safety. Yet we keep ignoring those spots.

Verdict

Reaction score
You do realize a great safety makes your defense better, right? You don't think the impact players we already have will get even better? And the whole secondary will be that much better. You are seriously undervaluing the value he brings and the safety position in general. Dallas has too forever now. Hence why our defense is always terrible.

You want to win NOW. While Dak and Zeke are on rookie deals. What are we waiting for? Philly went out last offseason and grabbed players they needed. They made a trade mid season for a RB. Which I'm sure would be a bad idea to everyone on here. How long are you wanting to wait and stay passive?Dak and Zeke are now in their 3rd seasons. The time to go after it is now. We aren't the Browns where a vet like that would not make a huge difference. Start filling in the holes we have with guys who have proven themselves.

That's all opinion.

Verdict

Reaction score
Heaven forbid this team takes initiative and tries to improve the roster in an area with alarming need. Yeah, lets keep rolling out Jeff Heath and expect different results. I don't get it. ET would make this defense legit and people covet mid round draft picks that much where they would not want to do it? Baffling.

We have not had a legit safety on this team since Roy Williams and ET is much better than he was. You can talk yourself into it all you want but ET is legit and is worth the trade. Who cares if you have to pay him. You have to pay for talent in any sport. We are in great shape in the salary cap in the upcoming years anyways where it would not be an issue.

I don't understand why so many want to continue down this same path of our defensive philosophy and expecting different results.

Maybe they think it's good enough.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think the trade will happen late in the preseason, time is on the Cowboys side because Seattle isn't going to pay ET and NFL teams aren't going to meet the crazy asking price.

I think the trade price will be something like a #3 plus a conditional pick based on performance.

Still to much! No thanks.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nonsense. This team has the makeup to compete and could come out of nowhere to contend just like philly did last year. The biggest issue standing in the way is the below average safety play. That will kill them in the playoffs or maybe even keep th m from getting there. They have plenty of cap room moving forward so that is a non issue. Anyone that actually wants to win this year or next would be on board 100% with an ET trade.

Acquiring a safety has never been the missing piece on any team. Anybody that thinks Thomas is that missing piece that would propel the Cowboys to the Super Bowl needs to do a lot more studying on history in the NFL.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Exactly. I'm tired of being passive and trying to be salary cap champions and getting all these "good value" guys in here who are average and mediocre but hey, they are cheap! And we wonder why our defense never has any playmakers and is the root of all our playoff failures when it matters. The offense is not the problem. It's the defense. That side of the ball has been an issue for a long time. Especially DT and safety. Yet we keep ignoring those spots.

If we want to win, we have to actually try if its reasonable. We haven't taken advantage of Dak being cheap at all, and next year we have to give him a truck load of money.

Do it now, or just keep being mediocre for the next couple of decades.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Technically Hawks hold all the cards this season on him. They don't have to give him a new contract... And if he doesn't play well out of spite... It gets him beat up in the locker room and with a new contract somewhere else.

Yes and no, the Seahawks have him under contract but they are rebuilding and have already made a bunch of moves to shed salary.

Also the locker room issues go both ways, if you have a player wearing a sandwich board in front of the stadium that says "I want out" front and back - then you completely did in your heels, your locker room sees an All Pro teammate treated badly and wonders if they are next. Ever player coming up on free agency is going to assume they will get stiff armed too and plan on leaving.

The Seahawks do hold cards like you say, but very likely have to move him at some point and time isn't on their side.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Acquiring a safety has never been the missing piece on any team. Anybody that thinks Thomas is that missing piece that would propel the Cowboys to the Super Bowl needs to do a lot more studying on history in the NFL.

James Washington was about one fifth of the player Earl Thomas is and he almost won the MVP award of Super Bowl 28 for the Cowboys.