The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
I would love to bring Mack from Oakland and Thomas from Seattle. Our D would be complete and stellar. Door B: Heath at S or Thomas? It is a no brainer. That is why Byron Jones is now back at CB.
We would have a killer D that we have not had since Haley and Deion were here.
Also, the WR & TE position need to be in place. And we would be truly ready for a run.
I'm tired of the front office leaving holes in the roster in key positions for the past 20 years keeping us out of a true run at a championship. They are close, but need to finish out. And we will only be as successful as the Coaching staff.

Flamma

Reaction score
The case against an Earl Thomas trade

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

With each day that passes, I’m glad a deal hasn’t been made for Earl Thomas.

I won't shed any tears if it doesn't happen because there is a cost (probably 2nd rounder) and a risk that comes with it. If he gets injured we pretty much wasted a 2nd. The reason I liked the idea of him being on this team is because he is an impact player. No single defender, no matter how good, is going to do much for your overall defense. You need multiple impact players on defense to make a real difference. We have a few right now, Lee, Lawrence, and who knows which others may step up? We may have more than we know right now so I thought E.T. might fit in well.

As far as him being out for himself, at some point in your career you have to be because no one else will. He's aging and he knows he's not getting another contract from Seattle. He's doing the only logical thing at this point in his career. It actually benefits both sides if Seattle trades him during their rebuilding stage.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys core group is good enough to compete for a championship RIGHT NOW. They should be trying to add all the talent they can while Dak and Zeke are on their rookie deals. And as great as that OL is they aren't getting any younger.

Regardless of what some in this fanbase might think about adding ET, the Dallas FO makes that decision. They are firmly committed to preserving their financial health under the salary cap. Both Seattle and Earl Thomas are currently asking for far more than they're willing to take seriously. Unless that changes, I'm not at all confident that it will change anytime soon. This defense has improved itself well enough already to challenge anyone. Let's see what develops with respect to ET. As far as the OL is concerned, they're still young enough to compete very well for years to come.

Last edited:

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
I would love to bring Mack from Oakland and Thomas from Seattle. Our D would be complete and stellar. Door B: Heath at S or Thomas? It is a no brainer. That is why Byron Jones is now back at CB.
Also, the WR & TE position need to be in place. And we would be truly ready for a run.
I'm tired of the front office leaving holes in the roster in key positions for the past 20 years keeping us out of a true run at a championship. They are close, but need to finish out. And we will only be as successful as the Coaching staff.
Regardless of what some in this fanbase might think about adding ET, the Dallas FO makes that decision. They are firmly committed to preserving their financial health under the salary cap. Both Seattle and Earl Thomas are currently asking for far more than they're willing to take seriously. Unless that changes, I'm not at all confident that it will change anytime soon. This defense has improved itself well enough already to challenge anyone. Let's see what develops with respect to ET. As far as the OL is concerned, they're still young enough to compete very well for years to come.

The winning Dallas Cowboy dynasties would have done this.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score

Landry traded with Green Bay for Herb Adderly (HOFer in his last years).
San Fran traded Haley to Dallas for a second- AND a third-round draft pick.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Not so fast. The winning Cowboys dynasties didn't always have the salary cap and the current number of teams to deal with. That's huge.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well Cowboys said thanks but no thanks to Boston and Vaccaro so they feel obviously that wouldn't be an upgrade. And I'm not sure why you threw La'el in there, he didn't even get drafted.
You're not understanding the conversation.

I dont care who the front office said no thanks to. It means zero to me how they feel. There are many instances where posters here see obvious mistakes by the front office, and they would have made the more football savvy move given the chance. Signing Nolan Carroll for $3.5M example was beyond moronic. A lot of us knew that would come back to bite us.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The case against an Earl Thomas trade

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

With each day that passes, I’m glad a deal hasn’t been made for Earl Thomas.

I dont think a player owns a nfl organisation anything for being drafted by them. It is not like a player can chose. He is a slave to the game owners play.

Thomas' may have the feeling he got treated bad by the hawks. That may be the reason he is now treating them the way he feels they needed to be treated.

I dont wanna say i can understand him nor do i know what the issues are. I am just saying there are always two people who have responsibility for such a situation. Not one alone.

So to say ET would be a great upgrade for us. But i wouldnt give up something for him. Maybe i would have given up a 5th in march but now things have changed. The hawks dont want to pay that amount of money to him. They are the ones who want to get rid of the player because their plans are others. So they are the ones who need to give something up for ET because if another team takes him this team helps the hawks alot by getting rid of the contract ET is under. And thats exactly what the hawks are looking for.

Id say give me a 2nd and ET and i'll swallow his contract for you. Be very nice to me, wipe my glasses once in a while (i am like JJ who loves to have someone to do it for him) and maybe i'll do it for a conditional 3rd.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You dont get average starters out of the draft automatically LMAO. That is 1000% incorrect. You hope and pray anyone drafted after the 2nd develops into an average starter.

Getting a top 40 player at $2M is a freaking steal. If you dont understand that, that's on you.

But so that youll figure it out, again. Which would you take:
A. Boston/Vacaroo, La'el, and Gallup
B. Earl
That is a non starter..... we have Collins and Gallup either way

There is no exclusion in my World

We have 15m and ET cost 8.5m.......I drink your milkshake

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Well. Mack would be great. I dont think we would need ET if we could get Mack. You cant fill all holes.

zerofill

Reaction score
I think the trade will happen late in the preseason, time is on the Cowboys side because Seattle isn't going to pay ET and NFL teams aren't going to meet the crazy asking price.

I think the trade price will be something like a #3 plus a conditional pick based on performance.

Technically Hawks hold all the cards this season on him. They don't have to give him a new contract... And if he doesn't play well out of spite... It gets him beat up in the locker room and with a new contract somewhere else.

Verdict

Reaction score
You're not understanding the conversation.

I dont care who the front office said no thanks to. It means zero to me how they feel. There are many instances where posters here see obvious mistakes by the front office, and they would have made the more football savvy move given the chance. Signing Nolan Carroll for $3.5M example was beyond moronic. A lot of us knew that would come back to bite us.

Hard to argue with that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There has been a bunch of teams that have gone into a season thinking they are contenders and injuries kill them. A bunch of teams go into the season thinking they are average and the breaks just go their way. So how do you say whether you are one player away?

I think the general consensus is the Cowboys are a borderline playoff team, so I would think it would be reasonable to think ET would make this a playoff team.
I agree that he would be an upgrade but I also look at the D he was on when he was a star. There were a lot of well known names on the best D in the league and Wagner was great against the run.

When a FS has Chancellor as his SS and Sherman as his CB and a very good front 7, he can better afford to be that center fielder. I agree about not knowing how many players a team is away because they don't know until they actually get the players and plug them in.

But my main reservation with this is why doesn't his former coach want him? He could have him, if he wanted. How many times do we see a former coach turn down getting what we perceive is a great player to join him from his previous team? This is his first season, what if the Cowboys really struggle at Safety and they could have had Thomas? There is something in this Richard-Thomas (and I ain't talking about John Boy) connection that is very puzzling. Or it is the $ he wants and that would put them that much closer to being top heavy in too few players with the cap. They still have Prescott, Lawrence and Collins contracts to consider.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Yeah, don't want to accelerate the process by improving the roster with a talent like Earl Thomas. Take it nice and slow.

Accelerate at what cost? Easy to say this in a vacuum without considering all the variables involved.