The Case for Firing Jason Garrett and the coaching staff **merged**

khiladi

Reaction score
Look at Garrett's hire and ask yourself if he never had any control.

He got Hudson Houck from Miami
He got Derrick Dooley who he coached with in Miami
He got Kiffen and supposedly worked with him via Tampa or some garbage
He got his brothers in the organization, John Garrett TE coach, then promoted to passing game coordinator as well
Scott Linehan last year, whom he also worked with, to offset changes by Callahan

Jason brought the Cad Cameron era of Miami over to Dallas..

Why people think Jason was ham-strung and completely shackled by Jerry is just utter ridiculousness... This guy has brought over coach that comes from his 'coaching tree', which he even ties to Saban..

This explains your Dallas Cowboys... We are the Cad Cameron Miami Dolphins... Garrett's offense is really more closely aligned to that, as opposed to any other Coryell coached offense..

birdwells1

Reaction score
Cry about it. Moan about it. Complain about it. It might make you feel better. But, Garrett's not going anywhere. He's staying right where he is.

Well it does make me feel better. I just know that we had a chance to get Payton and passed it up to stick with Garrett. Passing on a young super bowl winning coach to stay with a trainee is the reason we find ourselves in this situation.

khiladi

Reaction score
Horrible play calling yesterday as usual. Contrast that with the Panthers who were attacking the entire field and actually had pass plays going longer than 3 yards.

Mike Shula owned Jason yesterday. That's how bad it is.

Shula is their OC? Damn, we got owned by the Jacksonville Jaguars offense...

Congratulations Jerry.. At least in the 90s you had to deal with free agency thrown at you, and everybody sucking the talent Jimmy brought in, as well as an aging roster..

bark

Reaction score
i believe Jason will be here for a few more years guys. I believe that is who jerry wants as his coach like it or not.
I think the best we can hope for next yr is that the fat governor from New Jersey will put on the red sweater and get up next to Jerry in the box. Dude seem to bring us luck last yr.
Secret sauce if you will. Btw , what ever happened to that secret sauce ?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Folks are lamenting Sporano? Who did not do near as well when given the opportunity to coach his own team? Y'all need to move on.

As for the original post, those defensive rankings are pretty telling.

RS12

Reaction score
The case is the same case that has been there for years. He doesnt make the sum of the parts better.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
He isn't going to be fired.

People might as well get used to that fact.

Romo being lost for the vast majority of this season bought him the out that he was going to need to get through another year of not being able to be a quality HC. He's continuing his coaching in training process here in Dallas.

A truly depressing reality.

khiladi

Reaction score
Sporano is a coach that we should use as an example of not firing Garrett, because he sucked as HC in Miami..

But Tom Landry is used as a coach we should use as example to retain Garrett, because Landry didn't do well his first few years..

Amazing..

cml750

Reaction score
Folks are lamenting Sporano? Who did not do near as well when given the opportunity to coach his own team? Y'all need to move on.

As for the original post, those defensive rankings are pretty telling.

My Sporano post made more sense before two threads were merged where I originally responded to a question about the 2007 Cowboys offense.

canters

Reaction score
There is so much knee jerking here, I hope no one gets restless leg syndrome anytime soon.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I remember the whole world last season and the season before wanted to fire Ron Reviera. I myself was looking at his team and say "does this guy have any clue?" .. but they stuck with him and let him keeping putting the pieces together .. Look what happens...

Glad coach Garret is going to be around for a while ... My only request from him is to fire OL coach, DL coach, and CB coach .. and start looking for a young talented DC when Rod's contract expires .. I like new ideas

:cool:
I too remember Riviera being on the proverbial hot seat last year. I woke up today with the attitude to clean the entire house. By that I mean the entire coaching staff. But given Riviera's amazing resurgence this year I think now some coaches may need gone while others deserve to stay the same goes with players. If I never again see Jerry and Stephen sit in their owners box with that smug look they both had on their faces in the first two games it will be just fine. They had the look that said "We cracked the code" Oh NO they didn't! Changes are coming as they should and to be honest no job be it player or coach should be safe.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Garrett is terrible. One of the three worst coaches in football.

We can go through every year except for last year where he with his dumb decisions cost the team 2- wins every year. This year, we are within one possession in 6 of 7 games without Romo and we cant even pick up one win;yet, every other team in the NFL is able to win games with backups.

His decision yesterday to challenge the play was no doubt one of the dumbest ever by a head coach, especially since he had an entire quarter break to think about it.

He instills no confidence, no passion in the team. Romo is the head coach much more than this swindler. Romo is the one who instills confidence in them, not Garrett.

This is not Jerry Jones' fault-other than the backup QB, which Jerry should have done more with, the rest of the team is/was solid. We had superbowl aspirations-but once again, Jason Garrett could not get his team ready to play.

The problem IS the coaching. We have a coach that allows his star receiver to be taken out of each and every meaningful game by a lack of creativity. We have the most predictable playcalling in the league (have we ever passed the ball when Dez goes to the sidelines and Lucky Whitehead comes in motion and is the only WR on the field?

Why on God's green earth are we playing 10 yards off of Devin Funchess and Ted Ginn? The Panthers have the worst WRs in football and we treated all of them like they were All Pros. Why was Garrett content to not get the ball back at the end of the first half? How scared is this man of actually playing to win rather than to lose?

I understand Garrett is not the OC or DC, but he is there to help put the game plan together. He is the head coach, tell your coordinators to change it up and stop being solely the highest paid cheerleader in the history of sports.

He's wasted three 2nd round picks since his time here. Garrett has been here for 7 years, and we have been stuck in mediocrity for 7 years (excluding last year). He needs to go.

rynochop

Reaction score
Unless Garrett agreed to some ridiculously low buyout clause, jerrys not going to fire him anytime soon