2015 - #29

Defensive Ranking (PPG):

2010 - #31
2011 - #16
2012 - #24
2013 - #26
2014 - #15
2015 - #17

43-38 overall record. 1 season over .500. 1 division title. 1 playoff appearance. 1 playoff win. Offensive weapons in the top five rankings of their respective positions. A defense that barely can squeeze into the top half of the league in a good year.

We work and live in a results-driven world. These results are not acceptable.

If the endgame is mediocrity, then I guess we're doing just fine. I would like to strive to be more than average.

Now put up the records of the replacement you have in mind. This isn't a case against Garrett. This is putting up stats and waving your hands about saying you don't like it.

Top 10 offenses for an offensive minded coach 2/3 of the time and a winning record overall isn't a compelling case to fire him frankly. I look at those stats and think Marinelli or Ryan and that defense need attention most.

I'm not for Garrett at all costs and if you put up Payton's record then yeah I am there with you. Thing is it's not Garrett versus your ideal. It's Garrett versus who you can replace him with. Rich Pettitte or some of the other crubs that will be available are not upgrades. I want improvement and not change for the sake of itself.

Kalyan

Reaction score
with 5 years , 6 mil per year contract, I doubt he gets fired for at least 2 more years.

But can anyone explain what he brings to the table? he cannot adjust to his team, adjust his system to the players he has available, no reducing the play book to cover up some weakness. I bet the whole league knows what we will do if they show certain formation, then they trick us showing that formation and get interceptions. How is Lions winning games, bears winning games by simple adjustments?

everyone who knows him does not want to work with him anymore, Sporano, Callahan, Norv, how many defensive coordinators got fired?

Our team sucks at open field tackling, I see other teams doing very well one on one tackling, so what does the team practice in training camp?

we have best WR, OL and QB and everything comes down to last possession in every game, team use their strengths to blow out other teams if they have half the talent we have on offense.

Even if we draft a young QB, I don't think Jason knows how to develop a QB.

He is a smooth talked and conned one man and had incredible timing last year to get another long term job. May be Jerry likes him because he lets Jerry do whatever he wants, especially since Jerry got executive of the year last year. Jerry is the common denominator since Jimmy left, so we should blame Jerry for making all these decisions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
with 5 years , 6 mil per year contract, I doubt he gets fired for at least 2 more years.

But can anyone explain what he brings to the table? he cannot adjust to his team, adjust his system to the players he has available, no reducing the play book to cover up some weakness. I bet the whole league knows what we will do if they show certain formation, then they trick us showing that formation and get interceptions. How is Lions winning games, bears winning games by simple adjustments?

everyone who knows him does not want to work with him anymore, Sporano, Callahan, Norv, how many defensive coordinators got fired?

Our team sucks at open field tackling, I see other teams doing very well one on one tackling, so what does the team practice in training camp?

we have best WR, OL and QB and everything comes down to last possession in every game, team use their strengths to blow out other teams if they have half the talent we have on offense.

Even if we draft a young QB, I don't think Jason knows how to develop a QB.

He is a smooth talked and conned one man and had incredible timing last year to get another long term job. May be Jerry likes him because he lets Jerry do whatever he wants, especially since Jerry got executive of the year last year. Jerry is the common denominator since Jimmy left, so we should blame Jerry for making all these decisions.

He is good at developing young players. They drafted Dez the year before he took over but he has been Bryant's DC and HC and he has come a long way even if he is not where we want him to be. He brought in a and developed young players in Hanna, Smith, Fred, Martin, LC, Murray, and Jones. His teams are committed and passionate.

pansophy

Reaction score
Now put up the records of the replacement you have in mind. This isn't a case against Garrett. This is putting up stats and waving your hands about saying you don't like it.

Top 10 offenses for an offensive minded coach 2/3 of the time and a winning record overall isn't a compelling case to fire him frankly. I look at those stats and think Marinelli or Ryan and that defense need attention most.

I'm not for Garrett at all costs and if you put up Payton's record then yeah I am there with you. Thing is it's not Garrett versus your ideal. It's Garrett versus who you can replace him with. Rich Pettitte or some of the other crubs that will be available are not upgrades. I want improvement and not change for the sake of itself.

Exactly. You put up stats showing a top 7 offense 4 of 6 years as a case to fire Garrett!? We need some defensive players that stay on the field. Claiborne not playing well was a big blow. Lee never staying on the field. We need some defense.

As long as jones believes that Romo is the team QB then Garrett stays because you aren't going to make Romo learn a new offense at this point in his career.

Get a new OL coach and continue to build the defense. Maybe take a QB in the first or second round while we have the pick to get one.

wileedog

Reaction score

How did those top 10 offenses perform whenever Romo went down?

3 of our last 4 1st round picks have gone to the offensive line. 4 of our last 5 have gone to the offense. And yet when Romo gets hurt this year that top 10 offense goes to #29.

Offensive minded coach indeed. A real genius as long as Romo is on the field. But let's fire more DCs maybe that will fix it.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Let me ask all you Garrett backers a question: if JG were fired by Dallas tomorrow, is there a single team in the NFL that would consider him for a head coaching job? Hell, is there anyone who would even consider him for an offensive coordinator position?

What does that say about Garrett as a coach? And worse yet, what does that say about our franchise and its management?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
How did those top 10 offenses perform whenever Romo went down?

3 of our last 4 1st round picks have gone to the offensive line. 4 of our last 5 have gone to the offense. And yet when Romo gets hurt this year that top 10 offense goes to #29.

Offensive minded coach indeed. A real genius as long as Romo is on the field. But let's fire more DCs maybe that will fix it.

This is barely coherent. When Romo went down the offense suffered.

You don't ever address my point about the replacement. Rant on, holmes.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Let me ask all you Garrett backers a question: if JG were fired by Dallas tomorrow, is there a single team in the NFL that would consider him for a head coaching job? Hell, is there anyone who would even consider him for an offensive coordinator position?

What does that say about Garrett as a coach? And worse yet, what does that say about our franchise and its management?

You have no basis for this claim. You might like to speak for 32 clubs but you are just random fan. The hubris is cute though.

BTW, when you call people Garrett lovers using that binary mindset all you really do is label yourself.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Okay, this whole "Tony Sparano made Jason Garrett" thing has to stop. Maybe they just worked really well together. Garrett hasn't been anything to shout about since 2007, but neither has Sparano. Seriously, what has the guy done? Got to the playoffs with Miami...once. And much of that could be attributed to David Lee convincing him to go with the Wildcat. Beat one good team all year. Got in the playoffs against a decent Baltimore team and got run. Basically been no better than average since, wherever he's gone.

He made Garrett? He can't even make himself.

wileedog

Reaction score
This is barely coherent. When Romo went down the offense suffered.

You don't ever address my point about the replacement. Rant on, holmes.

No, the offense didn't "suffer" when Romo went down. It became completely non-existent despite tons of resources being piled into it.

As for a replacement, hire Chucky out of the MNF booth or Payton and let's roll. I know you will go ahead and start disparaging their records now, but at least they have accomplished *something* in this league before being handed the reigns to this team, unlike the current intern in training.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There's this guy named Sean Payton who is likely to be available, perhaps you've heard of him?

Perhaps you should read the thread specifically my posts and look for his name. Anyone else or is it just fire Garrett and hope Payton comes over? Is that your plan?

romothesavior

Reaction score
You have no basis for this claim. You might like to speak for 32 clubs but you are just random fan. The hubris is cute though.

BTW, when you call people Garrett lovers using that binary mindset all you really do is label yourself.

I said "Garrett backers," which is a fair description, no? There are people here who support the guy staying on as HC, and there are people here who don't. I'm not creating some arbitrary binary. And I purposefully used a neutral and non-inflammatory term like "backers," so get off my case.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I said "Garrett backers," which is a fair description, no? There are people here who support the guy staying on as HC, and there are people here who don't. I'm not creating some arbitrary binary. And I purposefully used a neutral and non-inflammatory term like "backers," so get off my case.

Same mindset even if you changed the verbiage. I'm not much interested in how you label it. It is what it is independent of where I am.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Jason Garret was the offensive coordinator in 2007, a year where the Dallas offense was unstoppable. TO had over 1300 yards with 15 TDs, witten had over 1000 yards receiving, and crayon had almost 700 yards receiving as well.

So why did Garrett's system so much more effective in 07 then it is now. Has he changed his principles or where the 07 receivers far better than these cowboy receivers. I see a lot of arguments concerning the offensive scheme but Garrett scheme looked awfully good a few years ago. I'm wondering if TO stretched the field more and got better separation w crisper routes and a younger faster witten was able to expose the defense underneath.

Garrett inherited that offense - he didn't build it. Big difference. It was Payton & Sparano who were the architect of that offense not Garrett.

Garrett just went along for the ride soaking the undeserved compliments while waiting for Uncle Jerry to give him the keys to the head coaching gig.

The system degraded overtime because Garrett slowly started to implement his own style into the mix, taking away the effectiveness of the talent the players had and making it a scheme-based offense like you see today.

I'm assuming that Jerry bought into the Red Headed Genius misconception that Garrett was really that - a "genius." Thus he went out and got got Roy Williams. A receiver they thought Garrett can work with and build a great offense around. That turned out to be a disaster because Garrett doesn't know how to use the talent given to him. Instead he just runs the same vanilla plays of the 90s and expects players to "execute."

Same issues are happening to Bryant right now. Garrett has no idea on how to draw up a game plan utilizing his talent. You don't see Bryant going in motion or in the slot or running slants or rub routes. Thats not part of Garrett's offense. He uses Bryant as a glorified decoy and run him deep while Witten and Beasley comes underneath on shorter routes.

There has been very little variations on this offense back then and not much has really changed till now. Thus we all wonder how we have all this talent and yet we are not able to produce anything. Its not the players. Its what you call the Garrett playbook and its holding this team back from realizing their potential.

In my opinion, this is the biggest obstacle why our offense has sputtered throughout the years. It only started becoming efficient when Romo is allowed to change the plays his way and allowed to make changes at the LOS pre-snap. But Tony can only do so much.

The biggest lost to this team was Callahan. Not because he was a great playcaller or the best oline coach in the NFL has ever seen. It was because Jerry gave him some of the playcalling duties and he inserted some of the much needed changes to this offense. Unfortunately, he was driven out by the FO. Him and Garrett did not see eye to eye. Thus we are now back to the same ole' vanilla offense - a curse to this team and to this organization.

Last edited: