The case for going for Lawrence

jnday

Reaction score
Yeah, no. That's beyond empty hatred dude. Just stop it. He led the offense to a No. 1 ranking this season with scraps on the O line. Now what?
And your Ryan Leaf point actually supports my point. Thanks!
I see that you value stats more than wins. Leading the offense to a number one ranking in the league has not contributed to wins in any way. Those stats have been accumulated after the games were out of reach. Dak and the offense played poorly in the first half of games last year as well, so the trend of poor play in the first half of games is not something that just started this season.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is no way of knowing if it will take more picks at this point in the season. Dallas may lose everything game and the Jets night win two or three.

Dak’s stats have not translated to wins. The better his stats, the less wins. So much of his stats have been in garbage time and meaningless. The salary cap is going to be less and Dak will want more. The track record for QBs reaching the Super Bowl after signing those big contracts is not good.
Dak hasn't been on the field when the defense and ST were playing like they have the past couple of weeks. With Dak, we know we have a better than average (probably top 5 - 7) QB, which is plenty good enough with a good defense. There have been far too many high draft QB failures to be sure that any one of the ones in this draft will be as good or better than Dak.
You can make the case that a rookie contract will be cheaper, but at the same time, that means we don't get a premium defender with that first pick. How is a rookie QB going to lead this team to a SB with the same below average defense we have now?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I see that you value stats more than wins. Leading the offense to a number one ranking in the league has not contributed to wins in any way. Those stats have been accumulated after the games were out of reach. Dak and the offense played poorly in the first half of games last year as well, so the trend of poor play in the first half of games is not something that just started this season.
False, I do not. However, wins and losses isn't an argument because that's a team stat. We have a historically horrible defense. The fact that they allowed so many points shouldn't be ignored. And the vast majority of games Prescott has started in, we've been within reach. But believe what you want.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'd rather pay Dak and trade the Lawrence pick for multiple 1st and 2nd round picks to rebuild the defense. The Goff draft pick was traded for two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds. With all the clamoring for Lawrence you could probably get three 1sts. You could re-tool the entire defense in one draft. Then after 2021 most of the big contracts can be restructured or cut/traded. I don't see any kind of window closing from paying Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You're the only person on here that wont accept we'll be in CAP difficulties if we sign Dak to a market leading contract ESPECIALLY if it's for 3 years.
no, there are many many many others...there is a few like you who think if we sign Dak, we can't sign anybody else...the facts present a different story, as we have handed out large contracts to Martin, Smith, Smith, Lawrence, Cooper, Zeke, Collins. and mid level contracts to McCoy, Poe, Griffin, Crawford.....its not about not being able to sign anybody. its about finding the right personnel. contracts always get manipulated. plus, defensively who was out there available that we couldn't sign if we wanted to? facts are that top players get tagged and signed by their own team. no one lets a star leave a team and go to another team, unless they are a head case, injury prone, head case, old...in essence something wrong with them and they are risky.

so signing Dak will not hinder us from building a defense. evaluating and signing the right players will. and even if Dak took $20M. will $15M be the championship difference maker for this defense? and this team? seriously?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
no, there are many many many others...there is a few like you who think if we sign Dak, we can't sign anybody else...the facts present a different story, as we have handed out large contracts to Martin, Smith, Smith, Lawrence, Cooper, Zeke, Collins. and mid level contracts to McCoy, Poe, Griffin, Crawford.....its not about not being able to sign anybody. its about finding the right personnel. contracts always get manipulated. plus, defensively who was out there available that we couldn't sign if we wanted to? facts are that top players get tagged and signed by their own team. no one lets a star leave a team and go to another team, unless they are a head case, injury prone, head case, old...in essence something wrong with them and they are risky.

so signing Dak will not hinder us from building a defense. evaluating and signing the right players will. and even if Dak took $20M. will $15M be the championship difference maker for this defense? and this team? seriously?

$15M will obviously help, it means we dont have to sign the dumpster leftovers - roster fillers like Poe, Clinton-Dix, Griffin, Worley.

We gave Poe $4m for 2020, because he's all that was left. Reader, Joseph, Jefferson, even Suh to stop the run all would have been an upgrade....if we had the money.

Remember we're going need need at least 1 starting LB, a Tackle, two Safeties and two CB's.

BTW - where did you get Dak taking $20m??? The one example I gave you was that with a 5 year deal we could attribute $20m to the CAP, Dak gets paid the money on signing bonus....just means we push the guaranteed money down the line ....as we did with: Martin,Collins,T Smith, Jaylon, Lawrence, Zeke and Cooper.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Dak hasn't been on the field when the defense and ST were playing like they have the past couple of weeks. With Dak, we know we have a better than average (probably top 5 - 7) QB, which is plenty good enough with a good defense. There have been far too many high draft QB failures to be sure that any one of the ones in this draft will be as good or better than Dak.
You can make the case that a rookie contract will be cheaper, but at the same time, that means we don't get a premium defender with that first pick. How is a rookie QB going to lead this team to a SB with the same below average defense we have now?

Exaxtly.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Remember folks, the same people telling you we must draft Lawrence, were the same "geniuses" that said that the Dallas Cowboys would take off after Dak went down or at the very least Dallas wouldn't really lose anything.

Maybe it is time we ignore the idiots.

jjktkk

Reaction score
The probability of success is far higher with Dak.

They get Dak plus a boat load of picks for trading down vs 1 college player.

The Cowboys were on an unprecedented pace of offensive production with Dak at QB despite have 2 udfa OTs. They had over 300 more passing yards than the #2 team for that stat. They were also #1 in total yards and #2 in points scored.

With a top 12 defense they would likely have been undefeated.
You made some valid points until you labeled Lawrence the consensus, #1 QB prospect in the upcoming draft. as "1 college player". If Lawrence lives up to his draft status/billing, he will be a Pro Bowl player, and certainly more talented than "1 college player".

Qcard

Reaction score
But for the sake of argument and this thread, Lawrence is a better QB now than Prescott has developed into and he has nothing but upside. He is the first QB since P. Manning to deliver on being the most highly recruited QB in his class. If you don't agree with this, then this thread doesn't make sense to you but I have watched a lot of Lawrence play the position and consider him the real deal.
Whilst you like Prescott your thinking is no different from Dak Haters whom live in an alternate reality. You are entitled to your opinion but posing the premise that Trevor Lawrence is a better QB now than Dak has developed into is Fact free (QB Metrics) pure eye-test garbage.

Suggeting that Trevor Lawrence is the best Prospect since Peyton Manning is another Trevor Lawrence hype trope. :lmao2:

Andrew Luck whom replaced Manning was arguably the best QB prospects since Elway.

Qcard

Reaction score
Remember folks, the same people telling you we must draft Lawrence, were the same "geniuses" that said that the Dallas Cowboys would take off after Dak went down or at the very least Dallas wouldn't really lose anything.

Maybe it is time we ignore the idiots.
Dak Hate is incurable

Kwyn

Reaction score
First off, let me say that I like Dak Prescott, I think he is a very good, not great, QB, and even the Dakaters have to notice the team with and without him which is exactly my point. The team needs someone better at that position unless you believe this team's management is capable of doing something they haven't done in decades, build a team around a QB.

They haven't done it with Prescott as well as his predecessor and even admitted that, failed to build around Romo. The fact that they lucked into both of these QB's should also be considered.

There are two questions regarding Trevor Lawrence, three if you consider why he doesn't become an English actor with that name. But the main two are is he better than what the Cowboys have now and what will it take to get him away from the two teams, JAX and NYJ, that have him in their sights?

Now, we must also consider the considerable team that Swinney has built around Lawrence, just as he did Watson. That must be taken into account when considering Fields as well.

But for the sake of argument and this thread, Lawrence is a better QB now than Prescott has developed into and he has nothing but upside. He is the first QB since P. Manning to deliver on being the most highly recruited QB in his class. If you don't agree with this, then this thread doesn't make sense to you but I have watched a lot of Lawrence play the position and consider him the real deal.

The second question is a tough one because if the Cowboys do not end up with the 1st pick, trading up for it will be very expensive in draft capital. If that can even be done. JAX ends up with that and they'd have a hard time passing on Lawrence since he's played in the neighborhood and if they're in that position, we'll see the same response as we saw from the CIN fans when the season became all about Burrow.

OK, you can let me have it now but I just don't think Prescott is good enough to lift this team beyond a mid level team. They ranked #1 in offense and we're 8-8 and what did they look like this season with Prescott at the helm? Is it a risk? Absolutely, but isn't giving Prescott a 4 or 5 X 35-40M a year even a bigger risk when you consider who the team builders are?

This is not about Dak Prescott, I think there are teams he could take to the Big Dance. This is about trying to overcome what's been holding this team back for two and half decades, management.

And if you want to consider something else, this HC had one of the best QB's in the history of the NFL and the most accurate one I have ever seen and he could only get one ring and ended up canned and that team doing better without him.

McC has this rep as a QB guru but who wouldn't with those QB's? The better the QB, the better the guru.

All comes down to one simple question. Do you want more of the same or do you want to take a chance? This is about change but what needs to be changed, management, will not so what's the next best thing?

so, Cowboys should draft one of the best QB prospects in years if they get a chance

pretty hot take but I like it

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Whilst you like Prescott your thinking is no different from Dak Haters whom live in an alternate reality. You are entitled to your opinion but posing the premise that Trevor Lawrence is a better QB now than Dak has developed into is Fact free (QB Metrics) pure eye-test garbage.

Suggeting that Trevor Lawrence is the best Prospect since Peyton Manning is another Trevor Lawrence hype trope. :lmao2:

Andrew Luck whom replaced Manning was arguably the best QB prospects since Elway.

The notion that Manning "delivered" is patently flawed. Peyton never even won the SEC let alone a national championship. He went 0-4 against Florida. And I agree, Luck was the most highly regarded prospect I can recall. Dude took Stanford to multiple 10 win seasons. What he accomplished at Stanford was on par with what Dak did leading Miss State. But in his defense he did preface the scenario with "for the sake of this argument."

RonnieT24

Reaction score
so, Cowboys should draft one of the best QB prospects in years if they get a chance

pretty hot take but I like it

Yeah.. the front office has failed to successfully build around two franchise QBs in the last 15 years.. Third time's the charm?

jnday

Reaction score
They are not going to draft a premium defender unless they want to reach. This draft does not have top end defensive talent. You must have skipped the Draft Zone posts and the player rankings that the media has put out. I guess there is nothing like drafting the 20th ranked player with a top five pick just because they want a defender. Very few rookie defenders have an impact anyway , so the only other option is free agency. If they sign Dak, they will not have the cap space to upgrade through free agency. It is simple, sign Dak and the ceiling will be 8-8 seasons or let him walk and try to rebuild with younger players and cheaper contracts. With as many holes at positions of need, Dak’s contract would run out before the team could be rebuilt around him.