The case for going for Lawrence

cern

Reaction score
At least we agree on something. I can disagree without being disagreeable. Depends on the poster. With you recently every time you quote me its on some antagonistic, snarky junk. I don't know if,you're trying to play board defender or what but that doesnt lend itself to amicably settling things IMO.
this is your idea of agreeing?

Reactions: G2

Philmonroe

Reaction score
this is your idea of agreeing?
I guess this is the lets all gang up on Phil portion of the discussion. Spare me all the yick yack and just post your way of doing things. Let's see if that's more workable instead of this asking me bs questions

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then my question for you is why are you here? Have you read most of the posts and threads on this site? The team is 2-7 and a dumpster blaze, what would you expect?

Then we have the owner praising his players like Smith as the cornerstone of the defense, what cornerstone? What defense?

This started off as a bad season and has progressively gotten worse, this is a forum of commiseration and the best most can hope for is a high draft pick.

Is everyone down and disappointed and disgusted with this franchise pretend fans and you are the only true one?
According to some we should only be cheering this 2-7 season on. No complaining from real Cowboy fans. Lol

Get your Poms Poms out. Go Cowboys.
th

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In the IT world we have a saying.. arguing with an engineer is like mud-wrestling a pig.. It's just a matter of time before you realize that the pig is enjoying himself.
They say the same thing about truck drivers, and (insert vocation here) as well.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Then my question for you is why are you here? Have you read most of the posts and threads on this site? The team is 2-7 and a dumpster blaze, what would you expect?

Then we have the owner praising his players like Smith as the cornerstone of the defense, what cornerstone? What defense?

This started off as a bad season and has progressively gotten worse, this is a forum of commiseration and the best most can hope for is a high draft pick.

Is everyone down and disappointed and disgusted with this franchise pretend fans and you are the only true one?

I'm just as disappointed as anyone with what has happened this season. I have also said some critical things about parts of this team, the defense, but I've also defended parts of this team. There is one thing that is true about what is posted on every thread started no matter what the initial purpose of the thread. Every thread eventually turns into complaining about Jones and/or Prescott.

I've been a Cowboys fan since the first day they came into the league and suffered through that 1st season which was much worse then this one. That 1st season they didn't win a single game, only one tie and there as two other games that they were kind close but at no time in that 1st season did we think there was any chance that they could come back and win any of those games. At least this season with the way Prescott moved the team some to many thought the Cowboys could come back and win a couple of those games.

I shutter to think if a lot of the fans today would still be Cowboys fans if they had to suffer through that 1st season. One thing is for sure is there was no internet back then for the unhappy fans to rip on the Cowboys. Because of that 1st season I was just so happy when the Cowboys went to the NFL championship game two years in a row and even though they lost both I didn't have to think back very far to that 1st season and saw what they accomplished since then. Yes I wish the Cowboys could set the number of Super Wins at something like 5 or 6 in a row that would never get broken but when they do win another Super Bowl I'll be just that much more happy because of going through this season.

jnday

Reaction score
First there is no guarantee that any QB you draft will be better.. Some fans may like they way he looks better.. or like his throwing motion better or his hair or hell let's call it what it is.. they will like his genealogy better. But there is ZERO guarantee it translates to the field. It's the toughest position in sports to transition from college to pro. We've seen guys come in and have decent success earlier now if the coaching staffs are creative enough and unstubborn enough to tailor their offense around what they saw the kid do well in college. But that only gets you so far. Every game you play is another page in the book on you in the NFL. If you are not constantly improving and evolving you hit a ceiling and teams figure you out. Lots of guys have come into the NFL far ahead of Dak as passers.. mostly because he was not asked to be a pure passer in college and they were. I can run you down a pretty good list of those guys and I suspect we would agree he has passed most of them.. AS A PASSER. Not just by the all powerful "eye test" but also looking at the numbers. Dak's passing numbers say he's better than a bunch of the more heralded guys. And as we watch him with a critical eye we can see that he still has things on which he can improve.. Having watched his progression since 2016 there is no reason to believe he won't.. But even if he stays exactly where he is as a passer, he is GOING to get smarter and more experienced as he plays. So his ability to manage and control the game is going to grow and thus he will become a better QB. He is just entering his prime physically but his mental development will continue until the day he retires. Right now he represents a strong bet to deliver high level QB play for at least another 10 years.. A draftee is almost certainly going to be a step backwards from where Dak is now with no assurance that he ever gets to that point. And let's say in 2-3 years he does.. or even exceeds where Dak was today. How do we know Dak won't have continued to improve and be that much better than the kid still? And how do we know we will have built a better team around that kid? Where is the evidence we can do that?
At the very least, a rookie QB has the chance of a very good team being built around him because he won’t be taking up so much cap space. Signing Dak to a $40 million a year deal is going to hurt the chances of signing the talent needed at other positions. The current situation in Dallas is a mess and there are two directions that the team can take. They can sign Dak and the talent level around him will suffer because of Dak’s cap hit or they can take the chance with a much cheaper rookie QB that will allow more money to sign much needed upgrades at other positions. Resigning Dak is no guarantee that the team will ever be much more than mediocre. At least a rookie QB will not ruin the cap if they go 8-8. There is no need in paying $40 million a year to be average and not have the cap room to inprove.

jnday

Reaction score
Now more proof that you don't know what you're trying to talk about. The HC was Johnson and if you watched the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas you would have seen a round table with Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt, the Moose, Jones and Johnson and during this round table Johnson admitted that he didn't have the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. He said the only time he did anything as a GM was when Jones let Johnson negotiate the Walker trade because Johnson had a history with the vikings GM. Johnson went on to say that having to go to Jones for things he thought he could decide irked him his entire time in Dallas.

Now bringing up Jones' three rings is relevant because I'm guessing you played wannabe GM back then too so it's still Jones three rings, you ZERO. Yes you brought up other coaches who have rings but then they too have more rings than you. You think you're smarter than people that have actually done the work opposed to playing wannabe GM from the comfort of you couch. I'm guessing your user has something to do with where you practice your trade.
Johnson had traded for Charles Hailey as well as making other decisions during the draft, free agency etc. You are fooling yourself if you think that Jerry played a big part in those Super Bowls. I can think of several posters on this forum that could take a draft guide and evaluate talent better than Jerry. Risen Star wouldn’t even need the draft guide to be a better player evaluator than Jerry. Jerry’s only advantage is his checkbook.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So, you think everyone who complains couldn’t be a Cowboy fan . Lol

There could be some trolls here posing as Cowboy fans. I’m not disputing that but I’m friends with hundreds if not thousands of Cowboy fans and we all complain while rooting our team on Game Day.

Di you really expect all Cowboy fans to be raising their Pom Poms for the product delivered this era?

I'm just as unhappy with the way things have gone on this season as everyone else, but there is the same group of users that all they do is complain and rip on the Cowboys. They either complain about Jones or they complain about Prescott and then they complain some more about Jones and then complain more about Prescott. At some point even the most unhappy fan can find something good to say about the Cowboys even if it's just sincerely saying they hope they turn things around and find some wins, but no all they do is complain and users like that can be found on rival teams websites saying the same things. So how does someone here say gee the same things are being said here that are on the Cowboys rival's websites so who are the Cowboys fans and who isn't.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It comes back to the market for QB's. 35M is going to be the going rate for a QB1 ranked in the top 10 and the second 10 isn't going to be far behind.

Right now this season the 8th ranked QB is making 39 mil and that amount will go up next year. Prior to Prescott's injury according to NFL stats was ranked #1 yet there a group here that first continue to say he's average at best and that he doesn't even deserve the 35 mil you stated that is already lower than where it is now. Like you said the market sets the price and it goes up every season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Johnson had traded for Charles Hailey as well as making other decisions during the draft, free agency etc. You are fooling yourself if you think that Jerry played a big part in those Super Bowls. I can think of several posters on this forum that could take a draft guide and evaluate talent better than Jerry. Risen Star wouldn’t even need the draft guide to be a better player evaluator than Jerry. Jerry’s only advantage is his checkbook.

It's obvious you didn't see the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas where Emmitt, Aikman, Irvin, The Moose, Jones and Johnson had a round table and Johnson admitted he didn't have the power and authority that those outside of the organization, like you, thought he had. He also said it irked him the entire time in Dallas that he had to go to Jones for things he thought he could decide on. He said the only time he did anything like a GM was the Walker trade when Jones told him he could negotiate that because he had a history with the vikings GM. All you're doing is what Johnson said those outside the organization thought he did. I think everyone who knows anything about Johnson will tell you that he wouldn't have admitted those things if they weren't true. Then as well as now Jones listen to his scouts and coaches but he ultimately makes the decisions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm just as unhappy with the way things have gone on this season as everyone else, but there is the same group of users that all they do is complain and rip on the Cowboys. They either complain about Jones or they complain about Prescott and then they complain some more about Jones and then complain more about Prescott. At some point even the most unhappy fan can find something good to say about the Cowboys even if it's just sincerely saying they hope they turn things around and find some wins, but no all they do is complain and users like that can be found on rival teams websites saying the same things. So how does someone here say gee the same things are being said here that are on the Cowboys rival's websites so who are the Cowboys fans and who isn't.
There’s not much good to find in a 2-7 season like this.

Diggs has looked pretty good. And Lamb.

There’s threads out there for everyone. Maybe you’re just looking in wrong places. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
At the very least, a rookie QB has the chance of a very good team being built around him because he won’t be taking up so much cap space. Signing Dak to a $40 million a year deal is going to hurt the chances of signing the talent needed at other positions. The current situation in Dallas is a mess and there are two directions that the team can take. They can sign Dak and the talent level around him will suffer because of Dak’s cap hit or they can take the chance with a much cheaper rookie QB that will allow more money to sign much needed upgrades at other positions. Resigning Dak is no guarantee that the team will ever be much more than mediocre. At least a rookie QB will not ruin the cap if they go 8-8. There is no need in paying $40 million a year to be average and not have the cap room to inprove.

If you're going to play wannabe GM you might as well have all pertinent information. As time ran out on signing Prescott back on July 15th in that last hour or so Prescott was doing his own negotiating they agreed on 35 mil but couldn't get the guaranteed amount done before time ran out. Now the Cowboys because the owners approved to allow just for this season teams can carryover an unlimited amount of this years cap to next year instead of the normal 5%. The cowboys will be carrying over about 25 mil so taking that 35 mil they already agreed on and subtracting that 25 mil carryover in reality there will be 10 mil off next year's cap. Gee that doesn't sound so crippling as you say it will be.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There’s not much good to find in a 2-7 season like this.

Diggs has looked pretty good. And Lamb.

There’s threads out there for everyone. Maybe you’re just looking in wrong places. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

I look at just about all the threads and as I read them when I see comments I disagree with I reply. Again you keep sounding like if someone doesn't agree with what is say that they can't disagree and give their opinions.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I look at just about all the threads and as I read them when I see comments I disagree with I reply. Again you keep sounding like if someone doesn't agree with what is say that they can't disagree and give their opinions.

I certainly think it's fair for fans to come on and analyze and criticize our team and players. What I don't agree with is the mindless "he sucks" and grade school name calling people seem to want to engage in when discussing them. I guess I'm just not wired that way.. I want to discuss the team and how it gets better. I don't have much use for the the trolls. They try really hard to get a rise out of you.. It's not about engaging in any meaningful discourse. It's about playing the internet dozens. To hell with that.. I generally scroll past that kind of crap. I would advise anyone who actually wants to engage in actual conversation about our favorite team to do likewise.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In the IT world we have a saying.. arguing with an engineer is like mud-wrestling a pig.. It's just a matter of time before you realize that the pig is enjoying himself.
I gotta remember this one. It's so true.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I usually only look for threads I agree with. I bet I dint open 10% of the threads.

Much like when I’m reading the newspaper and opinion columns. I look for writers and personalities I tend to align with for it supports my thoughts.

Why look for ones you don’t agree with? It’s not like we’re going to convince anyone to change their opinion. Much like all the dribble in the real world.

You’re welcome to disagree but when we end up with “ you must not be a Cowboy fan” then there’s better things to do if you don’t agree. That’s basically means you’ve become frustrated with the discussion and you have to dispute with by calling then out personally.

basel90

Reaction score
1- QB is not a priorty with dallas. Dak is good but if he wants 35 mil ++ i don't think that is ideal for dallas's cap space , if jerry wants to rebuild the defense and OL and still pay the overpaid zeke and others. So it depends how much dak wants. Let us be honest, we were losing with Dak last year and this year when he got hurt. Some unexplained losses to some losing teams , and that is before the collapse of the OL and defense. don't forget the losses even this year ( rams, browns , and we were losing with the giants when he got injred ) .
If we are just trying to be politically correct , or go with a proven leader , or sell tickets , etc etc , then dak is a good option as he is already a star.

2- The first round pick or picks should go to fix the defense on urgent basis. Expect jerrry to pick a defensive player unless there is an OL stud out there,

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There is no escaping the Zone Valuator for players and it's all over Prescott. He's a good QB just not worth what he's asking. Lawrence was better before he started making 21M a year. Elliott's fumblitis kicked in after his new salary. Cooper now disappears with more money to keep him company.

And that's why this thread exists, it's all about the allocation of the cap only we have a real problem. We think if player X isn't extended, player Y, a much better player and one of our favs, will get signed.

If they don't extend Prescott and draft one of these blue chip QB's, they will use the savings to build a better team, spend it all on the defense, like they've ever done that.

Ya see, I am really out to lunch on this because my thread implies that they do what any normal management would do. I mean, isn't that their case? Leave us some money to build the team, Dak.

I am so dumb, when will I learn? Is it money, cap space, that prevents them from building a true contender? Or is it something else that money can't fix?

I should just be happy with Prescott because he is a good QB and plenty good enough on the right team but I keep trying to mentally work around the problem and that is impossible because the problem owns and manages the team.

"Dak, duuuuuuddddde, don't take any of this personal, I do like you. It's just that I am like a monkey trying to solve a Rubik's Cube. I should just be content humping the football.
how is the saving used to build a better team, when the money we had today couldn't......its not the money....its the way this organization evaluates and assesses players......we are bad on defense, we over value RBs. we draft based on what sells jersey's ala drafting CD....just couldn't resist that shiny object to add to the mantle and ooohhhh all that #88 jersey's I will sell.

Jerry doesn't know how to build a winning team. that's the bottom line. he hasn't been able to do it in over 25 years now.