The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

Praxit

Reaction score
.....the benefit of good that I can see. We finally have some coaches who take Losses into account. Other-words, they are serious about winning.

DQ and MM are paving the way in righting the ship for the organization. The players are buying it, I'm buying it. Dallas can go toe 2 toe with any team.

Big test in KC, I still feel we're the better team. Adding, we NOW have the right coaches.

75boyz

Reaction score
My answer is somewhat contradictory in that I compare tanking to losing for the greater good.

What I mean is I don't mind losing out if that year's team is going no where in order to get a higher draft pick.

But in the case of THIS year's team I want them to gain every advantage possible in order to earn home field for the playoffs and that means winning every game in order to do so.

Whereas I follow how the Denver loss served as an extra motivator/reminder for this team, I still think a number one seed would benefit them most THIS year regardless of what happened when they were the one seed in '07 and 16.

Just another opinion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys Players / Coaches are too darn arrogant / stupid / idiotic / moronic / self-absorbed / selfish / have a lack of self-awareness that they need to be "humbled" again after being humbled less than 2 weeks ago ... we have much bigger issues than we thought.

Now I don't think we win out as the odds are we lose another game or two, this week being likely against a really talented, if not good, Chiefs team.

But I also don't think they will "eat the cheese" again this season and require to be humbled.

JMHO
It's not about being humbled. KC is a much better team than DEN and they're playing at Arrowhead, completely different situation.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No...make a run does not mean win out. Did I say "we need to win out"? It means a different thing and I didn't say it.

It does mean you TRY...it does mean you're gonna beat people up and be adept...even if you lose 1 or 2.
I didn't mention the word TRY, I assume they're going to do that.

This isn't about trying, it'ds about the outcome and what best benefits the team for the rest of the season including the playoffs.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't mention the word TRY, I assume they're going to do that.

This isn't about trying, it'ds about the outcome and what best benefits the team for the rest of the season including the playoffs.
Well...it appears we do stand in disagreement. If I get your point correctly. That's fine.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
No, it's a common opponent vs. GB. So we have to win. The Raiders one, even though I hate always losing on Turkey Day, is the one to lose if we had to lose. We have to beat KC and NO.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if you are preaching humility as a way to stay focused, didn’t that Denver game already serve the purpose?
This isn't as much about humility as much as seeing they haven't arrived at KC's level yet and more work needs to get put in to get there.

And this is not about the other games, just this one against the defending AFC champ in a tough environment, which they will most likely see if they get to NFCCG and maybe the division gams.

I was all about 17 one game seasons until I saw what this team might do and I shifted to a season thinker and how they might actually get there.

All comes down to whether one believes that team we saw play ATL is the one we're going to see from here on out. I do not see them winning out so I looked at which losses might actually be beneficial. I realize it's not popular thinking but I can see a loss in KC as a positive. They were weighed and measured and were found lacking. Back to work and stay at work.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's a common opponent vs. GB. So we have to win. The Raiders one, even though I hate always losing on Turkey Day, is the one to lose if we had to lose. We have to beat KC and NO.
Think a tie-breaker is going to get down that far? How often does that happen?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Think a tie-breaker is going to get down that far? How often does that happen?
It happens or it wouldn't be on the list of determining factors. At least someone entertained your premise and gave you legit feedback rather than outright rejecting it. But here you are pushing back on his reply? C'mon man. :rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It happens or it wouldn't be on the list of determining factors. At least someone entertained your premise and gave you legit feedback rather than outright rejecting it. But here you are pushing back on his reply? C'mon man. :rolleyes:
The likelihood of that coming into play vs what I think might benefit this team doesn't match up to me. I am not rejecting it as that is a legit concern for Michigan fan but not me.

I am more concerned about the Cowboys being playoff ready and advancing beyond the division round because it's been 26 years since they did that and they are 0-10 in that time.

I think they can handle this loss but are going to need to hitting on all 8 when they play at NO, take on AZ and face 4 division games and 3 of them on the road.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
This isn't as much about humility as much as seeing they haven't arrived at KC's level yet and more work needs to get put in to get there.

And this is not about the other games, just this one against the defending AFC champ in a tough environment, which they will most likely see if they get to NFCCG and maybe the division gams.

I was all about 17 one game seasons until I saw what this team might do and I shifted to a season thinker and how they might actually get there.

All comes down to whether one believes that team we saw play ATL is the one we're going to see from here on out. I do not see them winning out so I looked at which losses might actually be beneficial. I realize it's not popular thinking but I can see a loss in KC as a positive. They were weighed and measured and were found lacking. Back to work and stay at work.

‘Weighed, measured, and found lacking’? It’s not like KC is a dynastic team that’s been rolling over everybody this season. They opened as 2.5 point favorites at Arrowhead. We’d be favored to win on a neutral field.

I expect to win this game. If we don’t, we’ll take it from there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‘Weighed, measured, and found lacking’? It’s not like KC is a dynastic team that’s been rolling over everybody this season. They opened as 2.5 point favorites at Arrowhead. We’d be favored to win on a neutral field.

I expect to win this game. If we don’t, we’ll take it from there.
OK, I was being dramatic and stealing from "A Knight's Tale", serves me right.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t see how being humiliated a couple of weeks ago, then bouncing back with a great performance on Sunday only to lose again to KC is going to serve a better purpose than winning. That makes absolutely no sense. KC has been to back to back Super Bowls they’re the type of team we need to beat. Beating a team like that builds confidence.