The case for Pollard

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zeke gets a lot of 6 to 12 yard runs between the tackles where he’s pushing piles and running over people. Pollard would never consistently get those type of runs. He’s not the type of back that’s going to take the will out of a defense. Zeke wore down the Rams defense on Sunday. His rushing average isn’t inflated by a big run.

quickccc

Reaction score
zeke is a chain mover. emmitt was a chain mover. little play guy? no way. best rb in the nfl.

Coming out of college Zeke was more than a chain mover, he was a breakaway threat with home run ability. That's what opposi
The Cowboys need both they need to use them both and they need to be on the field together more, Pollard is a tougher runner then many on here give him credit he had 124 yards after contact against the Rams but I doubt he can do that 23 touches a game. There no reason why they cant be in pro form a little more or even Zeke at FB once in awhile in the eye. Dallas needs to continue to use different formations etc.

There is nuthin' that I am seeing from Pollard now that suggests that he could NOT be a 23 carry a game back- but of course only If zeke surprisingly gets injured or Pollard eventually moves on to
another NFL team as a FA signee starter would we be able to see that.

For one thing, I'm seeing Pollard constantly breaking tackles- in several games - and he's likely to get even stronger and bigger as he is going to get once he's ran through
these offseason strength-conditioning programs. He's actually a lot more physical between the tackles, and he's a lot stronger in running tackles than many here thought he was
coming out of college. The one thing I think everyone can agree upon is the "gimmick, in space, scatback" label he was stamped with at draft time should way thrown out of window by now.

and i'll go back to what ive been saying in getting him on the field more, let Pollard take up Austin's snaps in the offense. Let Pollard run the jet sweeps, quick bubble screen and decoy if that gets him
more on the field.
and you know Pollard is fast and can take it home in a blink, he has innate run skills, and he's way bigger, stronger and tougher than Austin

quickccc

Reaction score
You’re wrong he’s not better than Zeke. He’s got more burst and he’s shiftier/quicker but that’s it. Zeke is much more powerful and wears down defenses. He softened up the defense for Pollard against the Rams. Zeke is much better between the tackles picking up the dirty tough yards. Pollard would never be nearly as effective as an every down back. This reminds me of the days of Darren Hambrick and Marion Barber.

Both were very effective in their roles as backups. They were so effective in their roles everyone thought they would be great starters including Jerry and he was wrong! Once they became starters neither back was nearly as good. It was the same thing with Felix Jones, he was terrific in his role as a backup but was never as effective as a starter. I knew after Pollard broke that long TD run in the closing minutes of the game a thread like this would come up. lol

In just his rookie year, Pollard has already showing himself a better player than ex-1st rounder Felix Jones, who wasn't near as durable, strong and tough as Pollard.

What still hasn't been brought up yet here on this board, is Pollard is not a fumbler. he secures and takes very well care of the ball.
Felix also had issues with blitz blocking, but already that is not showing that this is gonna be an issue with Pollard.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In just his rookie year, Pollard has already showing himself a better player than ex-1st rounder Felix Jones, who wasn't near as durable, strong and tough as Pollard.

What still hasn't been brought up yet here on this board, is Pollard is not a fumbler. he secures and takes very well care of the ball.
Felix also had issues with blitz blocking, but already that is not showing that this is gonna be an issue with Pollard.
Pollard hasn't carried any more of the load to suggest he's better.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Zeke gets a lot of 6 to 12 yard runs between the tackles where he’s pushing piles and running over people. Pollard would never consistently get those type of runs. He’s not the type of back that’s going to take the will out of a defense. Zeke wore down the Rams defense on Sunday. His rushing average isn’t inflated by a big run.

Yeah but big runs are what used to be apart of his game and they are no longer there.

Now he does normal things for a guy with 270 touches.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Coming out of college Zeke was more than a chain mover, he was a breakaway threat with home run ability. That's what opposi

There is nuthin' that I am seeing from Pollard now that suggests that he could NOT be a 23 carry a game back- but of course only If zeke surprisingly gets injured or Pollard eventually moves on to
another NFL team as a FA signee starter would we be able to see that.

For one thing, I'm seeing Pollard constantly breaking tackles- in several games - and he's likely to get even stronger and bigger as he is going to get once he's ran through
these offseason strength-conditioning programs. He's actually a lot more physical between the tackles, and he's a lot stronger in running tackles than many here thought he was
coming out of college. The one thing I think everyone can agree upon is the "gimmick, in space, scatback" label he was stamped with at draft time should way thrown out of window by now.

and i'll go back to what ive been saying in getting him on the field more, let Pollard take up Austin's snaps in the offense. Let Pollard run the jet sweeps, quick bubble screen and decoy if that gets him
more on the field.
and you know Pollard is fast and can take it home in a blink, he has innate run skills, and he's way bigger, stronger and tougher than Austin

He just needs to play more and if Zeke loses some of his workload because of it then so be it.

quickccc

Reaction score
Pollard hasn't carried any more of the load to suggest he's better.

seems you guys are going only by his limited amount of carries, whereas i'm talking about him being physically equipped on a physical sense to be able to handle such a task.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
seems you guys are going only by his limited amount of carries, whereas i'm talking about him being physically equipped on a physical sense to be able to handle such a task.
There's nothing else to go on but what he's done. You're speculating.

quickccc

Reaction score
He just needs to play more and if Zeke loses some of his workload because of it then so be it.

if we have a top notch creative OC, then he can comprise ways to include both on the field, even if that means Pollard getting the gimmick plays such as jet sweeps, wheel routes,
bubble screens, occasional slots , etc. then we can exploit Pollards' skill set to it's fullest, while we gets that occasional 3rd series to relief zeke as a runner.

Though he's still underdeveloped as a receiver out of the backfield and we have under uitlized that skills thus far in his rookie year,
maybe we have a coaching staff that is finally realizing how Pollard's touches and involvement can help make this team, this offense even better and opposing to defenses.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Felix Jones had the potential to be real good. He only had 30 carries his rookie year which is less than half what Pollard has so far. In only 30 carries Jones had a 60 yard TD run and a 33 yard TD run. He averaged 8.9 per carry his rookie year compared to Pollard’s 5.6 average. In the Cowboys first playoff win in 13 years in 09 against Philly, Jones had over 140 yards rushing. I like Pollard, he’s a good player but he’s not better than Zeke that’s my point.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There's nothing else to go on but what he's done. You're speculating.
zeke been playing 3.8 yrs as pro alone missed no games due to injury

Pollard limited snaps already missed a game with an ankle injury..not speculating.. go back to the fact Zeke was a 3yr work horse for a big time college and also did it at a high level..I saw Kamara post Ingram and some other backs like Cohen try and be the guy and got dinged up and their coaches pulled them back.. Cooks is hurt again.. you have to be special kind of back built to handle the big time loads..

Noone is dissing or doubting Pollard but tired of hearing how we would have been fine without Zeke and Pollard and whomever at RBBC.. also specualtion..we know what we have in Zeke and he gets way to much hate and critism in here simply because he got paid after holding out..

when fans draw a line those on Zekes side win because we have all the data we need.. but those who want to support both in their roles well thats good fan ..

lest get back to eagles talk... its whats important right now.. the coaches know who are players are and use them in their proper rioles..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah but big runs are what used to be apart of his game and they are no longer there.

Now he does normal things for a guy with 270 touches.

The big ones aren’t there but I disagree that he does normal things for a back who gets 270+ touches. His between the tackles running is better than most. He pushes piles and squirts for extra yards when there’s nothing there. Everyone got infatuated with Darren Hambrick because of long runs as a backup. Don’t give me wrong I’m not saying Pollard is Hambrick just providing an example. Darren Hambrick, Marion Barber and Felix Jones were good role players. Same for Pollard who wasn’t an every down back in college for a reason.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The big ones aren’t there but I disagree that he does normal things for a back who gets 270+ touches. His between the tackles running is better than most. He pushes piles and squirts for extra yards when there’s nothing there. Everyone got infatuated with Darren Hambrick because of long runs as a backup. Don’t give me wrong I’m not saying Pollard is Hambrick just providing an example. Darren Hambrick, Marion Barber and Felix Jones were good role players. Same for Pollard who wasn’t an every down back in college for a reason.

I understand you're not calling Pollard a Hambrick but my gosh this forum can only relate to what they've seen happen in Dallas.

It's like only the Cowboys exist and the million other scenarios that have played out over the league are just ignored.

So now we get the lazy comparison to Hambrick and Lance Dunbar because a long time ago we had a backup RB that didn't pan out.

We have both. Zeke is talented but he spends a lot of time tapping his helmet anyways. Pollard is electric and needs to be more involved and I do not care what Hambrick or Lance Dunbar did because they are completely irrelevant to this situation.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
just as you're speculating that he can't simply because he has not receive the chances to get the carries
Look, I like Pollard. He compliments Elliott greatly. I'm not speculating, I'm going by what we know. He's already missed time. Maybe he can carry the load, but he's never done it, so my guess is that he's what he was drafted for. A backup to compliment Elliott and a returner.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That’s certainly true but I don’t see any games that Zeke has won for us. In other words, even if we did get stopped a time or two last night (when in reality Zeke got a few extra yards and a 1st down) I still think we would have won that game rather easily.

As far as 2nd best, those are pretty accurately based on statistics. If people are going to use Zeke’s stats to prove his worth and how great he is than the O lines stats shouldn’t be ignored.

The eye test is what i based my comment on the line rankings on. I have seen our line struggle against a team while other teams open nice running lanes against them. For most of the year, i just haven't seen our guys consistently get push. At least not against the better defenses.

There is subjectivity to all viewpoints. There could certainly come a time where the investments we have made in linemen & Zeke could look bad if the productivity falls off. If last game (or 2016 form) continues, then it will look like wise investments.