The case for taking Ezekiel Elliot at # 4

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I think so as well.

Jackson is no rookie. He came out and basically told everyone who he was going to draft. You don't do that. More than likely, blabbing all over town that you want a QB at 4 with big hands was an attempt to preclude what just happened with the Titans/Rams trade.

We will see if they preferred Goff to Wentz on draft day, but if I was a betting man, I'd say they wanted Goff (hence the big deal over small hands).

There's a definite possibility that Wentz is at 4.

can you give a link to Jackson's comments? not that I doubt you, would like to investigate it myself

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree with Emmitt. We need an every down RB to replace Demarco Murray and keep Romo upright.

We have already seen that RBBC does not work very well in the Cowboys offensive scheme and leaves Romo vulnerable to injury.

IMO only. That is all.

It doesn't work when you have zero passing game and you tip your hand every running play.

That is the rest

jday

Reaction score
Really? A RB at 4?

Here's what I want to know:

Whose rule is it that you shouldn't draft a RB high? The way you asked "Really? A RB at 4?" suggest a tone of shock that snobs use when someone where's white post labor day.

Is this belief based on trends; is there a rule book out there for dummies on drafting that suggest this? I'm truly curious because the running back, in my opinion, is very important to the Cowboys scheme; not every team scheme depends as heavily on the run game, so I can understand their devaluing of the position. But I honestly believe a position value is team specific. For the Cowboys, the running back matters. And when a talent, such as Zeke, comes along he should rank pretty high on their draft board. Just my opinion.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Here's what I want to know:

Whose rule is it that you shouldn't draft a RB high? The way you asked "Really? A RB at 4?" suggest a tone of shock that snobs use when someone where's white post labor day.

Is this belief based on trends; is there a rule book out there for dummies on drafting that suggest this? I'm truly curious because the running back, in my opinion, is very important to the Cowboys scheme; not every team scheme depends as heavily on the run game, so I can understand their devaluing of the position. But I honestly believe a position value is team specific. For the Cowboys, the running back matters. And when a talent, such as Zeke, comes along he should rank pretty high on their draft board. Just my opinion.

It is dumb because the likelihood of the rb being a premium player in five years is remote. In fact he will more than likely be a player in decline. Also, the running back who gained 1800 yds behind this oline was picked in round three. You can get a 1500-1800 yd player in rounds 2-4, Booker, Howard, Prosise, Williams all have the ability.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We are not selecting a running back at #4 overall. That pick gets $24M guaranteed, and we didn't even want to give Lamar Miller $24M over 4 years with half of it guaranteed.

Just not going to happen. Maybe in a trade down.

I'm not sure why the money is an issue.

If we can afford to pay Dez like we have..

If we are not spending anything on Hardy..

the guy is worth it when you multiply what he adds..

Moving the chains

Backfield blocking to protect Romo

An actual playfake to be respected helping Witten, Dez and Williams get open with single coverage..

Reducing Defensive snaps to 30 per game

That is alot of production.

Pay him and be happy you have him.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I disagree with Emmitt. We need an every down RB to replace Demarco Murray and keep Romo upright.

We have already seen that RBBC does not work very well in the Cowboys offensive scheme and leaves Romo vulnerable to injury.

IMO only. That is all.

Waiting for the case

LittleD

Reaction score
Guys, Zeke is the lowest risk, highest upside, most catalytic player we could draft at the #4 position. Yes, spending
24mil for 5 years work is high for a RB but, he does so much to make the Dallas offense perform at a higher level.
He provides protection for Romo as he's a weapon that the defense has to plan for and he blocks well to give
Romo that extra half-second to find the open receiver. He keeps the offense on the field and the defense off it.
That will dramatically improve the odds of winning close games in the 4th quarter. Remember last year? With our
OL and another year of training and experience, I feel we will be very hard to stop inside the redzone. Many of you
think that picking a RB here is wasteful but, I tell you that having this weapon will open up Romo to perform at
an even higher level and increase our odds of performing well in the dance when we get there. There is little
downside and much upside if we select him. Just give it some consideration and hope we make the right
decision in 12 days.

Craig

Reaction score
The elliott talk reminds me a lot of 2012 draft talk. People need to stop calling him a sure thing.

LittleD

Reaction score
The elliott talk reminds me a lot of 2012 draft talk. People need to stop calling him a sure thing.

He's the surest player we can get this year inside the top 10 and the only hope to make our team better this year. Why do you think Philly wants to
jump up and get him? Time to swing for the fence and get Romo his SB.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the money is an issue.

If we can afford to pay Dez like we have..

If we are not spending anything on Hardy..

the guy is worth it when you multiply what he adds..

Moving the chains

Backfield blocking to protect Romo

An actual playfake to be respected helping Witten, Dez and Williams get open with single coverage..

Reducing Defensive snaps to 30 per game

That is alot of production.

Pay him and be happy you have him.

It's because of the value the team has placed on the running back position. We wouldn't even sign Lamar Miller to $6.5M AAV - let alone $6M/year guaranteed. I just don't see us giving a running back - even Zeke - that kind of money.

I could be wrong, though, like anyone else. I don't work for the Cowboys, so I'm just using past evidence to make my claims.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
It is dumb because the likelihood of the rb being a premium player in five years is remote. In fact he will more than likely be a player in decline. Also, the running back who gained 1800 yds behind this oline was picked in round three. You can get a 1500-1800 yd player in rounds 2-4, Booker, Howard, Prosise, Williams all have the ability.

So, with that theory, how do you explain Romo not being drafted?

gmoney112

Reaction score
Guys, Zeke is the lowest risk, highest upside, most catalytic player we could draft at the #4 position. Yes, spending
24mil for 5 years work is high for a RB but, he does so much to make the Dallas offense perform at a higher level.
He provides protection for Romo as he's a weapon that the defense has to plan for and he blocks well to give
Romo that extra half-second to find the open receiver. He keeps the offense on the field and the defense off it.
That will dramatically improve the odds of winning close games in the 4th quarter. Remember last year? With our
OL and another year of training and experience, I feel we will be very hard to stop inside the redzone. Many of you
think that picking a RB here is wasteful but, I tell you that having this weapon will open up Romo to perform at
an even higher level and increase our odds of performing well in the dance when we get there. There is little
downside and much upside if we select him. Just give it some consideration and hope we make the right
decision in 12 days.

I think it's funny calling a guy, whose pothead roommate had to move out because he partied too much, the "lowest risk" in the draft.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
personally I don't think Elliot will be there I think the eagles will trade up to three to pick him before we do. this young man is a really good football player he can pass block the blitz and is really good catching the ball out of the backfield. who would u rather have a corner that gets two or three picks if he has a really good year or a de that gets three or four sacks or a three tool running back behind this line. if this line is the best unit on your team then get the very best back.