The case for taking Ezekiel Elliot at # 4

DFWJC

Reaction score
personally I don't think Elliot will be there I think the eagles will trade up to three to pick him before we do. this young man is a really good football player he can pass block the blitz and is really good catching the ball out of the backfield. who would u rather have a corner that gets two or three picks if he has a really good year or a de that gets three or four sacks or a three tool running back behind this line. if this line is the best unit on your team then get the very best back.

Hey cb22
Not that I think the Eagles would do that, but never say never...and they may value th position more than Dallas does....
But Philly has no 2016 2nd rounder. Moving up to 3rd would take their 2017 1st and this year's 3rd, maybe a 4th too.
Yikes

cowboys2233

Reaction score
personally I don't think Elliot will be there I think the eagles will trade up to three to pick him before we do. this young man is a really good football player he can pass block the blitz and is really good catching the ball out of the backfield. who would u rather have a corner that gets two or three picks if he has a really good year or a de that gets three or four sacks or a three tool running back behind this line. if this line is the best unit on your team then get the very best back.

I think they are extremely worried about us at 4...and they should be. And yes, I'm a bit worried they may try and do what you say, although I think Cleveland at 2 is the more likely trade partner. Either way, they're gonna have to give up a ton to get him, so not all bad.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You have to go back 15 years to find a single RB taken in the top 4 that was worth it.
One...in 15 years

And just a side note..
Next year's RB class will be strong

Of course, so will the QB class:D

erod

Reaction score
RBs taken in top 4 picks since 1990:

Darren McFadden
Trent Richardson
Reggie Bush
Blair Thomas
Ronnie Brown
Ki-Jana Carter
Cedric Benson
Marshall Faulk
Edgerrin James
Garrison Hearst

LittleD

Reaction score
I think it's funny calling a guy, whose pothead roommate had to move out because he partied too much, the "lowest risk" in the draft.

Guilt by association, huh? As far as I know, he hasn't tested positive for anything and he's not in the NFL program as far as I know. Does he smoke, who knows...
I've looked pretty close at the other 9 in the top 10 in this draft class and he's who I would put my chips on in Vegas.

Craig

Reaction score
I would love for philly to move up for ee just like i loved when they took and overpaid for murray.

LittleD

Reaction score
You have to go back 15 years to find a single RB taken in the top 4 that was worth it.
One...in 15 years

And just a side note..

Of course, so will the QB class:D

And just a side note..

Of course, so will the QB class:D[/quote]

Wrong headed, What about AP, CJ Spiller, Gurley? Zeke is just what the Doctor ordered for the Cowboys this year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wrong headed, What about AP, CJ Spiller, Gurley? Zeke is just what the Doctor ordered for the Cowboys this year.

I'm fine with Elliott, but would prefer
if we got him at that it be later.
If we end up taking him at 4 (I say the odds are extremely slim of that) I'd look forward and be excited about the here and now.
I like his odds of being good....and behind our line even great!

I do think of marginal benefits though.

If our current group of backs can get 1400-1500 but Elliot as a workhorse can get 1500-1600,
Is the extra 100-200 yards worth the 4th overall pick in the entire draft?

LittleD

Reaction score
I'm fine with Elliott, but would prefer
if we got him at that it be later.
If we end up taking him at 4 (I say the odds are extremely slim of that) I'd look forward and be excited about the here and now.
I like his odds of being good....and behind our line even great!

I do think of marginal benefits though.

If our current group of backs can get 1400-1500 but Elliot as a workhorse can get 1500-1600,
Is the extra 100-200 yards worth the 4th overall pick in the entire draft?

I agree that the odds aren't good because of the likelihood of Philly jumping up to #2 or #3 to take him ahead of us. I do think that we
will need several good RB's to help Romo stay healthy this year and give us a shot to win it all. All we have is a shot for the next two
years so we have to take every right path to get there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree that the odds aren't good because of the likelihood of Philly jumping up to #2 or #3 to take him ahead of us. I do think that we
will need several good RB's to help Romo stay healthy this year and give us a shot to win it all. All we have is a shot for the next two
years so we have to take every right path to get there.

That'd really shock me if Philly moves up to 2 or 3 to take Elliott.
I say this for three reasons...and realize it's opinion.
1-any team taking RB at 2 or 3 is a bit rare
2-Philly doesn't have the ammo to move up that high...unless maybe they throw in some players
3-why would they trade ahead of Dallas when Dallas is no threat to take him at 4. If anything, they could maybe trade with us for cheaper

LittleD

Reaction score
That'd really shock me if Philly moves up to 2 or 3 to take Elliott.
I say this for three reasons...and realize it's opinion.
1-any team taking RB at 2 or 3 is a bit rare
2-Philly doesn't have the ammo to move up that high...unless maybe they throw in some players
3-why would they trade ahead of Dallas when Dallas is no threat to take him at 4. If anything, they could maybe trade with us for cheaper

I'm not sure we're not a threat to take him at 4 or at 7 with a trade down. They did bring him into Dallas and he is one of the 30 chosen ones.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Yes I would, as long as you can assure me that Philthy or Gints won't trade 1 spot in front of us to spoil the plan???

you can't. It is a gamble. This is why I think the Boys pull the trigger on Ramsey if he is there at 4 (and it looks like he will be)

LittleD

Reaction score
you can't. It is a gamble. This is why I think the Boys pull the trigger on Ramsey if he is there at 4 (and it looks like he will be)

I don't think he would be as big of an addition in the first year as Zeke but, would not throw up if that's what happens. I'm just not sure we would be closer
to the SB if we take him than if Zeke were pounding the rock and Romo was blazing into the end zone. Just not sure!

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
If your that worried about Romo take a qb with the fourth pick

True but the brass thinks romo has 5 more years and the understudy will take time. I'm down with either a qb or rb at 4. We haven't drafted for either of those positions at that spot or near it in forever.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
RBs taken in top 4 picks since 1990:

Darren McFadden
Trent Richardson
Reggie Bush
Blair Thomas
Ronnie Brown
Ki-Jana Carter
Cedric Benson
Marshall Faulk
Edgerrin James
Garrison Hearst

Only Faulk made the HOF in that group. But how many of them ran behind an OL like ours? Elliott would beast as a Cowboy. This kid is special. Simply put, with him in the backfield, I'll guarantee Romo plays 3-4 more years.