The clock is ticking on Prescott

birdwells1

Reaction score
I like the idea of proving it by results, and those results must be a SB appearance. You don’t give a 3rd contact to the QB unless he produces when it counts unless your goal isn’t winning the championship, MM hasn’t produced and that’s why GB fired him with rumors of incompetence and laziness. Jerry will not let it play out because to him it’s more important to be relevant in my opinion. All the excuses for the failures the last 3 seasons can be laid at the feet of 2 people and both should have to prove themselves or be given their walking papers. It’s a contract year for both and that’s the way it should be, elite money for poor performances come playoff time should be a red flag and based on recent history both should be gone unless the results are drastically different this season
Stephen and Jerry

birdwells1

Reaction score
At this point it doesn't matter.

The time to sign him was back in March to lower his cap hit and allow the team to use that cap savings to get better around Dak. They chose not to do that and instead appear content on letting him play out his deal on that massive cap hit.

The logic is lost on me because it's clear Dak is the type of QB that need a lot of talent around him. They should have been adding pieces in the offseason, not subtracting them. But to do that, they should have freed up cap space by signing Dak. Trying to figure out the Jones' logic is folly.
They haven't signed a first wave free agent since Brandon Carr in 2011, not you but it kills me when people want Cowboys players to sign a team friendly contract so that the team can get better.

birdwells1

Reaction score
He will gain more leverage if he somehow can do so. In terms of deserve it? Pretty clear we need to move on from our QB, and if so, some very lean years are to follow trying to find our QB
We've been lucky the last 17 years or so with Romo and Dak for just a 4th round pick. Just remember the QBs Jerry was thirsting over

birdwells1

Reaction score
Easy for us keyboard warriors to manage the team with someone else's money. :) I can't help but wonder if JJ knows a lot more about the Sunday Ticket lawsuit ramifications than what we know. We are partially suffering for drafting well, something I strongly have issues with when it comes to salary cap restrictions.
Could we do any worse than the Joneses, 28 years and 17 of them with pro bowl level QBing and still no NFCCG appearance.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If Cowboys don’t have a deal signed within 16 days, the beginning of regular season, by most estimations this will be his last season in Dallas.

I know many fans feel he’ll be playing this season for a new contract but most accounts are if he needs to prove more to the Cowboys Mgmt he’d rather move on.

And most critics and analysts would argue he will be highly sought after despite some fans and detractors who cast him off as damaged goods , a less than franchise QB. Just too much demand for QB’s in the NFL.

I’m not advocating for resigning him but simply pointing out what the altercations and impacts could be . We shall know soon what the direction is for the Cowboys moving forward . And that decision could very well derail hopes this season will be more than a dumpster fire and potential disaster with a lame duck HC and QB which presents so much uncertainty. We’ll need an extra bag of popcorn:)
Could care less about implications! Yes he is a franchise QB and there are teams that would love to have him. He has done what he can for Dallas but he is no longer wanted there. He isn't as good as people want to make him out to be. You can attribute the last 3 seasons of 12 wins to Parsons winning 4 of those games. Daks an 8-8 type QB. He has just flat out looked awful against good teams every since he has been in Dallas. With today's coaching and technology at the college level there are more and more QBs that can replace him if your looking for avg play. Heck Baker Mayfield was on the market for 12 mil a couple years ago. I'm glad Jerry and Jimmy made up because I'm pretty sure Jimmy has recommended to Jerry you can't pay a good QB great QB money.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Bingo. Dak is a very good QB. He is a steal at his current average annual salary, but I'm also extremely worried about paying him $60M per year, especially if its a shorter contract.

It wont be super easy to replace his production, but it also wont be easy to build around him at a higher rate. Its a complex issue that I wish more people would be open minded about to at least have civil conversations.
When have the Cowboys built anything? They refuse to add to the roster with legitimate free agents.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Which means that he would need to agree to any trade. And if there’s a contract offer paying him enough, I believe he would.
Yeah but this is too late in the game, starting QBs don't get traded 2 weeks before the start of the season. But with the Joneses you never know.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
When have the Cowboys built anything? They refuse to add to the roster with legitimate free agents.
I’m all for bashing the cowboys when it’s deserved, but it’s hard to deny that this front office has done a nice job of talent acquisition. They literally had a top 5 scoring offense and defense a season ago.

My issue is they just refuse to finish the job and choose to cut corners.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I’m all for bashing the cowboys when it’s deserved, but it’s hard to deny that this front office has done a nice job of talent acquisition. They literally had a top 5 scoring offense and defense a season ago.

My issue is they just refuse to finish the job and choose to cut corners.
No you're right Will McClay and the scouting department does well in the draft, signing UDFAs and UFL players but what the Joneses won't do is sign premium FAs to get over the hump.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
We've been lucky the last 17 years or so with Romo and Dak for just a 4th round pick. Just remember the QBs Jerry was thirsting over
We have not been lucky at all. If we were then we would have some championships to show for Romo and Dak. We don't, thus we didn't get lucky at all. It might have been better for the Cowboys to continue struggling with horrible QBs until someone got in Jerry's ear enough for him to draft a blue chip QB in the 1st round.

We've been extremely unlucky.

Flamma

Reaction score
I like the idea of proving it by results, and those results must be a SB appearance. You don’t give a 3rd contact to the QB unless he produces when it counts unless your goal isn’t winning the championship, MM hasn’t produced and that’s why GB fired him with rumors of incompetence and laziness. Jerry will not let it play out because to him it’s more important to be relevant in my opinion. All the excuses for the failures the last 3 seasons can be laid at the feet of 2 people and both should have to prove themselves or be given their walking papers. It’s a contract year for both and that’s the way it should be, elite money for poor performances come playoff time should be a red flag and based on recent history both should be gone unless the results are drastically different this season
I can't really disagree too much with this, but, you have to have a roster than can do it, right? You can't just give a coach and QB anything and expect them to go far. Some combos can do it with less, but it still has to be a very good team. Both sides have to do their job. Do we have that roster?

Just off the top of my head, Matt Stafford probably got 3 or more contracts from the Lions, then the second he gets off that team he gets a ring. Owner/GM, coach, QB. They all play a role.