The clock is ticking on Prescott

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
At this point it doesn't matter.

The time to sign him was back in March to lower his cap hit and allow the team to use that cap savings to get better around Dak. They chose not to do that and instead appear content on letting him play out his deal on that massive cap hit.

The logic is lost on me because it's clear Dak is the type of QB that need a lot of talent around him. They should have been adding pieces in the offseason, not subtracting them. But to do that, they should have freed up cap space by signing Dak. Trying to figure out the Jones' logic is folly.
This is why you don't sign him to that type of contract. I don't know if the FO has faith that he can get it done with more expensive pieces on the field. Personally, I don't. So if you swing and miss this season, you're stuck with a guy that needs expensive players to succeed, and no money to sign them for the duration of his contract.

I think their mentality is to make him prove that he can win with a bloated cap figure before elevating that number even further. I would've preferred that they just extended him last year, backloaded the deal, and put all the chips on the table for the next two seasons, but as you said, it's too late for that now. I doubt his agent would've played ball anyways.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
One can't discount the effect of $40M in dead money. Take a look at the list of free agent signings and see what $40M can buy you. That would bring in some real talent. This is an amateur GM making bad decisions. It's delusional to think that dead money doesn't matter.

plymkr

Reaction score
He’ll probably re-sign next week. I don’t think Jerry wants to go into the season with so much uncertainty.

If he doesn’t sign I’ll be pleasantly surprised.
I was convinced that he would sign after the Raiders game. I was pretty surprised when he wasn’t. Jerry has been saying something to the effect of ambiguity is good or he’s comfortable with ambiguity. Who knows if Jerry is even on this planet anymore as far as cognitive skills but statements like that make me think he is cool with going into the season with so much uncertainty.

And maybe Mike Fisher is right. Maybe Dak is asking for 60 APY. Who knows. But I’m shocked he hasn’t been signed yet. I’m happy about it but shocked.

rags747

Reaction score
I like Dak the person a lot but I’m bigtime ready for new blood. I’m willing to start fresh opening day. Let’s do it!

Brax

Reaction score
One can't discount the effect of $40M in dead money. Take a look at the list of free agent signings and see what $40M can buy you. That would bring in some real talent. This is an amateur GM making bad decisions. It's delusional to think that dead money doesn't matter.
you do realize the eagles have 52 million in drag money this season so your argument doesn’t hold water

75boyz

Reaction score
I want him gone as much or more than most here, but until he physically is not on this team then I am gonna assume Jerry will cave and sign him.

Seeing is believing for me.

vlad

Reaction score
The clock is ticking on breaking a bank somewhere.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I still think Jerry caves and signs him .......
Probably depends (pun intended) on how Jerry feels (or knows?) how long he'll be around. If he thinks he's on borrowed time, he won't risk having to start over with a rookie qb or with a once-already cut qb that didn't live up to his draft expectations (Lance). Will stick with Dak and hope for the best. He anointed the former 4th round pick as the heir apparent to Aikman and Staubach, and we know Jerry is loath to admit he made a mistake.

But if he's feeling like he'll make it to 90 or 95 or 100, might be willing to wash his hands of Dak after this year and make the major change to Lance or a rookie.

Only his hairdresser knows for sure!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
At this point it doesn't matter.

The time to sign him was back in March to lower his cap hit and allow the team to use that cap savings to get better around Dak. They chose not to do that and instead appear content on letting him play out his deal on that massive cap hit.

The logic is lost on me because it's clear Dak is the type of QB that need a lot of talent around him. They should have been adding pieces in the offseason, not subtracting them. But to do that, they should have freed up cap space by signing Dak. Trying to figure out the Jones' logic is folly.
Thing is, if Dak isn't extended after this year Jerry will be rid of him. Yes, it's a big cap hit but then so is Dak's dead money next year (not as much but still substantial).

Guess we'll see, no later than Februaty 9th, 2025.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
you do realize the eagles have 52 million in drag money this season so your argument doesn’t hold water
What I said is absolutely true. Dead money on the Eagle's books does not disprove anything!

kskboys

Reaction score
I was thinking of a much stronger word, but OK, I'll go w/ delusional for the sake of being nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak has improved in 9 years with his ability to throw against man coverage with wildly superior WRs to pad his stats against garbage defenses…. Yet he still can’t read zone defenses to save his life or get through his progressions, which is why they are dumbing down the offense for him in year 8..

kskboys

Reaction score
What I said is absolutely true. Dead money on the Eagle's books does not disprove anything!
How in the world did you guys not notice the Eagles falling completely apart last year? They released 4 D starters and their starting ORG. The dead money cost them a ton. Their D went from allowing 301.5 YPG in 2022 to allowing 356.1 YPG.

Seriously, do a little research and think a bit before posting nonsense. Any dead money hurts a team.

And now they've just traded for ANOTHER WR. And that's for a team w/ a running QB who is a subpar passer.

Brax

Reaction score
They sign good players so 52 million doesn’t matter for the eagles but it’s a team killer for the cowboys. Other teams have larger dead money so what you are saying is false, if the cowboys roll the full 28.5 million they have in cap space into next season then the 40 million is only 11.5 million you have no clue how the cap works or you wouldn’t say what you are saying. Your entire premise is wrong period.

kskboys

Reaction score
They sign good players so 52 million doesn’t matter for the eagles but it’s a team killer for the cowboys. Other teams have larger dead money so what you are saying is false, if the cowboys roll the full 28.5 million they have in cap space into next season then the 40 million is only 11.5 million you have no clue how the cap works or you wouldn’t say what you are saying. Your entire premise is wrong period.
Yes it does. See my post above.

The Eagles tore that team apart by letting D players go. The Eagles made it to the super bowl in 22 due largely to the 2nd ranked D in the NFL.

Then, they did the opposite of what KC did. They started paying WR's and their O and let their most important D guys walk. And it's been downhill for them ever since. They are not close to the same team they were in 22.

Brax

Reaction score
How in the world did you guys not notice the Eagles falling completely apart last year? They released 4 D starters and their starting ORG. The dead money cost them a ton. Their D went from allowing 301.5 YPG in 2022 to allowing 356.1 YPG.

Seriously, do a little research and think a bit before posting nonsense. Any dead money hurts a team.

And now they've just traded for ANOTHER WR. And that's for a team w/ a running QB who is a subpar passer.
Did the eagles get to the playoffs, you best do a little better in your research all teams have dead money to account for its part of cap management, research why team spend and have dead money it may open your eyes as to how most teams manage their cap by pushing money down the road and it comes due something that you fail to understand

Chasing6

Reaction score
Every team has dead money on the cap last year there was dead money and there’s still I believe 6 million in Zeke dead money this year, if the cut Dak that 40 million could be 15 next year, you need to understand that all teams push money not long ago Atlanta had 86 million in dead money so it’s is irrelevant, that money doesn’t disappear if he resigned it’s due it just gets shoved down the road and in all reality it will be a lot more dead money in 3 pr 4 it appears you have no idea on how the cap works
If they cut Dak this year his dead cap jumps up to $67M for this season.

Brax

Reaction score
Yes it does. See my post above.

The Eagles tore that team apart by letting D players go. The Eagles made it to the super bowl in 22 due largely to the 2nd ranked D in the NFL.

Then, they did the opposite of what KC did. They started paying WR's and their O and let their most important D guys walk. And it's been downhill for them ever since. They are not close to the same team they were in 22.
Ever since, 1season and they made the playoffs. I guess your opinion is the eagles will be bad this year.

Brax

Reaction score
If they cut Dak this year his dead cap jumps up to $67M for this season.
Wrong it’s 29 million and 25 million in cap savings he would be a post June 1st cut look again 25 million is his salary this year

kskboys

Reaction score
Did the eagles get to the playoffs, you best do a little better in your research all teams have dead money to account for its part of cap management, research why team spend and have dead money it may open your eyes as to how most teams manage their cap by pushing money down the road and it comes due something that you fail to understand
So, you simply ignore the starters they had to let walk to pay everyone.

The Eagles were in the Super Bowl in 22. Did they come anywhere near that in 23? Here's where the research comes in that you keep failing to do. NO, they are not anwywhere near a super bowl. Hey, maybe if Davis and Carter can pan out to be great players they can turn it around, to be seen.

Here's what you keep inexplicably missing: Dead money always hurts a team. Limits the players you can bring in. C'moooon, this is not that difficult.