The clock is ticking on Prescott

LovinItAll

Reaction score
If Cowboys don’t have a deal signed within 16 days, the beginning of regular season, by most estimations this will be his last season in Dallas.

I know many fans feel he’ll be playing this season for a new contract but most accounts are if he needs to prove more to the Cowboys Mgmt he’d rather move on.

And most critics and analysts would argue he will be highly sought after despite some fans and detractors who cast him off as damaged goods , a less than franchise QB. Just too much demand for QB’s in the NFL.

I’m not advocating for resigning him but simply pointing out what the altercations and impacts could be . We shall know soon what the direction is for the Cowboys moving forward . And that decision could very well derail hopes this season will be more than a dumpster fire and potential disaster with a lame duck HC and QB which presents so much uncertainty. We’ll need an extra bag of popcorn:)
I’m definitely advocating for the Cowboys to get a deal done with Prescott. I’m too old to watch them rebuild, and a QB that’s better than Dak isn’t going to fall out if the sky. It just irks Jones that he’s going to have to pony up ~$60MM/yr, but that’s what it’s going to take.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Q: Do you think Dak has had multiple teams capable of advancing past the Divisional Rd.

Yes or No.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I am not sure Dak even wants to be a part of Jerry's Circus anymore. If it is strictly about money, then there is no reason for Dak to sign at all. He can alway wait, test the FA market, and then still sign in Dallas if he chooses to.

If Dak gets, and he will, more money from another team, or adequate money with a better franchise positioned to win, why would he stay in Dallas?
I'm ok with this, and I'm ok with Dak feeling he's in a circus. He is.

That said: he's stunk up the place when he needed to play well. I mean... stunk as in Ben Dinucci level pathetic.

Those moments were not Jerry's fault.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Dallas should absolutely get this done before the season starts. Will Jerruh get it completed? Not sure anymore. I'm definitely surprised.

Steve007

Reaction score
Yes, because drafting above the 4th round is a guarantee. Ask the Niners how that worked out.

Top 3 pick - Fail

Mr. Irrelevant - Win

GM Jethro can not build a complimentary football team. V
Not doing anything to address the QB position is a guaranted fail. The cowboys are in trouble because they didn't do anything.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not doing anything to address the QB position is a guaranted fail. The cowboys are in trouble because they didn't do anything.
You are 90% correct. They traded for Trance, which most of us have come to the conclusion to how that is going to work out.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Q: Do you think Dak has had multiple teams capable of advancing past the Divisional Rd.

Yes or No.
I would say yes, but that question is irrelevant.

The only question that needs to be asked is, "do you have a QB on the roster that is better than Dak"?

Any reasonable person would obviously say NO.

Ergo, Dak might not be the best QB in the league, might not even be top 5, but he is currently better than anybody else on the roster.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yes or No.
That’s a complex answer. Capable is a subjective prospect. Each opportunity in divisional rounds is different.

2016 would probably be the most capable with home field advantage. But one of the greatest QB’s pulled a rabbit out of the hat on 3rd and 20 with game on the line.

2018 the Rams were arguably the more capable team , so no.

2021 and 2022 SF was the better team. We had an opportunity but I’d argue best team won. Were we capable of winning? Perhaps since both games were close. But I certainly didn’t expect us to win.

2023 we fell into Division title with Egirls collapse and 2nd seed with Dumb Dans OT antics. We were definitely capable of making divisional round but I would have taken Lions.

Overall summation is we’ve had enough talent on offense but except for last year not enough defense to advance further.

When you don’t have an Elite QB must have an Elite defense for deeper runs in playoffs. Last year was only playoff year we totally choked. Our QB isn’t enough to overcome other weaknesses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The only question that needs to be asked is, "do you have a QB on the roster that is better than Dak"?

Ergo, Dak might not be the best QB in the league, might not even be top 5, but he is currently better than anybody else on the roster.
Right. And that’s the dilemma we have . Unfortunately our ownership hasn’t placed us in a better position to move on from this QB.

And why we should draft and begin developing a heir apparent even if we resign current QB. If he develops quickly and current QB continues coming up short we can trade him for draft capital.

Trading for a 1st round bust isn’t taking the appropriate action to move on. And deciding to totally rebuild until you find our next Franchise QB potentially waste a team built to contend now.

Unfortunately our ownership didn’t prepare for this moment even when they knew our QB would be tough negotiator . And it leaves them in a vulnerable situation. Cowboys potentially could be left without a Franchise QB and or no benefits from a trade. Total poor Mgmt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep. We didn’t learn our lesson from last negotiations with Prescott. We knew it would be tough again but yet besides trading for a 1st round bust like a last gasp effort took no action drafting and developing a heir apparent.

The only conclusion we can draw is the Cowboys have had every intention of resigning Prescott, that they are totally All In. The only reason they have hesitated is the embarrassing débâcle performance in playoffs which has left our Mgmt dealing with negative public perception to justify ponying up again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas should absolutely get this done before the season starts. Will Jerruh get it completed? Not sure anymore. I'm definitely surprised.
Yes and no. I’ve maintained from the onset it would probably go down to beginning of season for a couple reasons.

One, Jethro was waiting to see where the Market Price would fall. And two and perhaps most important was the fallout after the pitiful and embarrassing performance in the playoffs which was impacting public perception.

He didn’t want to pull the trigger two quickly. There was and continues to be so much negative rhetoric after that playoff loss which even Jethro took hard.

But he basically had no alternative plan in place despite a trade for a 1st round bust. And after this preseason performance leaves little hope he’s the answer.

So, is Jethro ready to start over in search for our next Franchise QB with a team that’s built to contend now hoping our QB can rebound and make a stronger push finally breaking thru.

I’m pretty sure what he wants to do but he’s battling the public perception which has a bad taste we can’t get out of their mouths.

Flamma

Reaction score

This is all correct. But you can't use that as an excuse to pay a person. That's an excuse to pay anything he wants, not just market value. If that's what the Jones boys are going by, I'm asking 75M. After all, who else on the team is better?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not sure Dak even wants to be a part of Jerry's Circus anymore. If it is strictly about money, then there is no reason for Dak to sign at all. He can alway wait, test the FA market, and then still sign in Dallas if he chooses to.

If Dak gets, and he will, more money from another team, or adequate money with a better franchise positioned to win, why would he stay in Dallas?
Most likely he’d go to a lesser team. The better franchises have their QB.

So the prospect of going to a more average or bottom tier team isn’t quite as attractive given the money is close.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is all correct. But you can't use that as an excuse to pay a person. That's an excuse to pay anything he wants, not just market value. If that's what the Jones boys are going by, I'm asking 75M. After all, who else on the team is better?
Most likely the number is closer to the 55-60 range . 55 is the Market Price now.

Does Dak want to set the new or higher mark. We can only speculate.

We don’t know exactly what he’s demanding or what we’re offering.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or a Preview into the next Dave Campo Era..... :lmao: :lmao:
Sounds like some fans are SB or Bust type of fans and don’t care if we suk for a few years until we draft our next Quincy Carter or Romo falls into our lap,

They are frustrated with a 12 win team with an over hyped QB who hasn’t had his best performances on the bigger stages.

So instead of forging on with an overall team built to contend now , they are absolutely certain our QB and this team won’t ever advance further so are prepared to start over.

As nothing to them suks worse than a 12 win team choking in the playoffs. I present them 3 consecutive 5 win seasons which ultimately didn’t produce any better team that we have now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, the option is to draft a QB higher than the 4th round. The Cowboys need to realize the team has done the best they are going to do with Dak.
I agree. We should have drafted and been developing a heir apparent. Total poor Mgmt.

But we didn’t and haven’t. Are we that ready to throw in the towel without a more reasonable and hopeful replacement in place.

Why can’t we do both. Resign Prescott and draft our heir apparent. And if he develops quickly we dump or trade Prescott.

This team is built to contend now. Without a Franchise QB we become a bottom feeder or average non playoff team at best with no guarantee we find our next QB. Not sure why that’s more attractive to fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Going into Daks 9th year and he hasn't been close to a superbowl. He chokes in the playoffs. The goal is the Superbowl and Dak isn't leading this team to one. If you’re happy with 12 wins with a one and done then good for you.
No one is happy with disappointing endings to the season. 12 win season though place us in a better position for post season success.

How did 5 win seasons work out for us . There’s no guarantees we find our next Franchise QB quickly or surpasses where we are now.

If you’re of the SB or Bust mentality then that’s fine . We are either totally suking or winning SB’s. But that’s not reality.

Most franchises don’t have a Brady or Mahomes and have to try and build around their Franchise QB as best they can.

How many years or decades do we go before finding our next Elite QB?

I introduce you to 5 win seasons and drafting Quincy Carter and being grateful Romo fell into our lap.

Amazing how many fans would have more hope with this Mgmt starting over.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

Why would there be another QB on the roster better than Dak right now? That isn't the question that needs to be answered. The question is how hard will it be to find a replacement ? They have Lance, (this one is me advocating) Davis Mills will be a FA next season, and then there is the draft.

Flamma

Reaction score
Most likely the number is closer to the 55-60 range . 55 is the Market Price now.

Does Dak want to set the new or higher mark. We can only speculate.

We don’t know exactly what he’s demanding or what we’re offering.
Yeah I know. But if someone is going to pay me based on not having a better alternative right now, I'm not asking for market value. I'm asking for well above market value. You gouge the desperate. I've done it with cigarettes in the past.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
No one is happy with disappointing endings to the season. 12 win season though place us in a better position for post season success.

How did 5 win seasons work out for us . There’s no guarantees we find our next Franchise QB quickly or surpasses where we are now.

If you’re of the SB or Bust mentality then that’s fine . We are either totally suking or winning SB’s. But that’s not reality.

Most franchises don’t have a Brady or Mahomes and have to try and build around their Franchise QB as best they can.

How many years or decades do we go before finding our next Elite QB?

I introduce you to 5 win seasons and drafting Quincy Carter and being grateful Romo fell into our lap.

Amazing how many fans would have more hope with this Mgmt starting over.
They have come a long way since then honestly, this team isn't a from the ground up rebuild. They have a promising, young OL, they have an elite pass rusher, a good young secondary. This year of rookies could bring Tank's and Martin's replacements as well as a linebacker.
Why wouldn't you be optimistic about the future?