The clock is ticking on Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who is going to give us draft picks for a 32 year old QB making 60-65M a year? This isn't a Matt Stafford situation.
It could be a Cousins situation.

And I’m not sure it couldn’t be comparable in a sense to Staffords situation who had very little success in playoffs with Lions but had fairly strong regular season stats.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems sad that the Cowboys can manage to get away with what we have to offer to start the season with. Both sides are just trying to get the best of the other, while, in the end, it works against both of them. It's a shame how human beings refuse to get along better than we so often do.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL, I didn't explain. I'm a toll collector. There was a time I handed out tickets to those taking the roadway. Back around 2000. We no longer hand them out, machines do. Some people would ask me, do the rest areas have cigarette machines? I'd say no, because they didn't. But I would offer them a pack of mine. Back then a pack was like 2-3 bucks. I'd get 6. It would be akin to me asking for around 20 bucks now. You can't haggle with me, I don't care if you buy them or not. Dak is in a similar situation. He doesn't have to care either.
I don’t believe Prescotts situation is a good comparison to your cigarette analogy.

Dak isn’t in a position to haggle for 2-3 times or more his market value which in your example would be 100-200 million a year. Sounds out of the realm to me.

Flamma

Reaction score
Basically playing at same level as now which has Cowboy fans frustrated but would still be sought after in FA.
Maybe. But sought after in FA is different than taking on a current contract. In one case the team makes an offer, in the other they take on a current contract. I wouldn't expect to get a big haul.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe. But sought after in FA is different than taking on a current contract. In one case the team makes an offer, in the other they take on a current contract. I wouldn't expect to get a big haul.
Im not sure what the difference is. Those offers would need to be in line with Market Price.

And in most cases teams without a Franchise QB have ample Cap space.

Maybe we wouldn’t get a big haul but we’d rid ourselves contractually and freeing up Cap space while moving on already having a replacement in place.

Which is what we should have already done. Our Mgmt has left us in this more vulnerable situation with no answer in place.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t believe Prescotts situation is a good comparison to your cigarette analogy.

Dak isn’t in a position to haggle for 2-3 times or more his market value which in your example would be 100-200 million a year. Sounds out of the realm to me.
Not 2 times, but definitely more. He can say, pay me 70M a year or i'll take 60M in FA with another team. The concept is to force the current team to pay him or lose him. It's a legit tactic. You're banking on your team to overpay to keep you. If they don't, you'll make the same as they offered from someone else. He has nothing to lose to ask for 70M. My cigarette analogy is not perfect. But I'm counting on them to overpay. If they don't, I don't care.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not 2 times, but definitely more. He can say, pay me 70M a year or i'll take 60M in FA with another team. The concept is to force the current team to pay him or lose him. It's a legit tactic. You're banking on your team to overpay to keep you. If they don't, you'll make the same as they offered from someone else. He has nothing to lose to ask for 70M. My cigarette analogy is not perfect. But I'm counting on them to overpay. If they don't, I don't care.
I can’t imagine that scenario of him asking for 10+ million more than Market Price.

There’s certainly no evidence of such I’ve seen.

Flamma

Reaction score
Im not sure what the difference is. Those offers would need to be in line with Market Price.

And in most cases teams without a Franchise QB have ample Cap space.

Maybe we wouldn’t get a big haul but we’d rid ourselves contractually and freeing up Cap space while moving on already having a replacement in place.

Which is what we should have already done. Our Mgmt has left us in this more vulnerable situation with no answer in place.
There is no such thing as a replacement in place. No one knows the talent of that replacement until they take the field. If you're going to move on from a franchise QB, you have to find a replacement. It's not just going to be sitting there on your roster.

Flamma

Reaction score
I can’t imagine that scenario of him asking for 10+ million more than Market Price.

There’s certainly no evidence of such I’ve seen.
He might not. But I would do it. Why not? What do I have to lose? Maybe they'll offer 65M. But my main point is, what do I have to lose if it doesn't matter to me who I play for?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a replacement in place. No one knows the talent of that replacement until they take the field. If you're going to move on from a franchise QB, you have to find a replacement. It's not just going to be sitting there on your roster.
Yea but you can draft and begin developing so you have a better sense and plan in place.

I present the Packers as a great example

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He might not. But I would do it. Why not? What do I have to lose? Maybe they'll offer 65M. But my main point is, what do I have to lose if it doesn't matter to me who I play for?
That appears to be quite an outlandish scenario based on a theory totally unsubstantiated.

Flamma

Reaction score
That appears to be quite an outlandish scenario based on a theory totally unsubstantiated.
There is nothing outlandish about it. It's chasing money. Who wouldn't ask for more if they knew they'd get what you're currently offering from someone else if you refused? It's common sense.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yea but you can draft and begin developing so you have a better sense and plan in place.

I present the Packers as a great example
The Packers are not a great example. They had no idea how good he was. He may still not be that good. We really don't know based on half a season. They drafted a 2nd round talent late in the first. Does that always turn up roses? We can do that next year. Will that QB be our franchise QB? If it was that easy everyone would do it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is nothing outlandish about it. It's chasing money. Who wouldn't ask for more if they knew they'd get what you're currently offering from someone else if you refused? It's common sense.

I can’t imagine they’d know that to be a certainity or basis to negotiate from.

You’re allowed to believe whatever you wish but I’d argue it’s not a reality scenario .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Packers are not a great example. They had no idea how good he was. He may still not be that good. We really don't know based on half a season. They drafted a 2nd round talent late in the first. Does that always turn up roses? We can do that next year. Will that QB be our franchise QB? If it was that easy everyone would do it.
But it provides you a better basis to make those decisions moving forward.

And it’s how the NFL operated before there was a Cap. Teams simply didn’t start Rookie QB’s. You drafted and developed.

Flamma

Reaction score
I can’t imagine they’d know that to be a certainity or basis to negotiate from.

You’re allowed to believe whatever you wish but I’d argue it’s not a reality scenario .
I'm not saying that's what's happening. It's just a possible scenario. I'll give you another example. What do you think Dak would get in FA? If it outlandish for Dak's agent to ask for that money? It's the same concept, just a little less money.

Flamma

Reaction score
But it provides you a better basis to make those decisions moving forward.

And it’s how the NFL operated before there was a Cap. Teams simply didn’t start Rookie QB’s. You drafted and developed.
Before the cap was a lot different. Today you'll never have a Steve Young and Montana on the same team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Before the cap was a lot different. Today you'll never have a Steve Young and Montana on the same team.
You could. But teams this era don’t seem to want to draft and develop QB’s when they currently have a Franchise QB which I’d argue makes them more vulnerable not only on the field but at the negotiating table .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not saying that's what's happening. It's just a possible scenario. I'll give you another example. What do you think Dak would get in FA? If it outlandish for Dak's agent to ask for that money? It's the same concept, just a little less money.
Im not here to make unsubstantiated speculations .

It’s unknown what the Market Price will be in 2025 FA. But it could be more than this year. This year hasn’t surpassed the 55 set by Burrows last year yet.

Will that translate into what Dak would be offered. It’s tough to say without knowing how he performs this year, any injury status and the teams who could be pursuing him.