The clock is ticking on Prescott

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I’m definitely advocating for the Cowboys to get a deal done with Prescott. I’m too old to watch them rebuild, and a QB that’s better than Dak isn’t going to fall out if the sky. It just irks Jones that he’s going to have to pony up ~$60MM/yr, but that’s what it’s going to take.
Pony up for a quarterback who consistently fails to perform in the playoffs; yeah right.
No one is happy with disappointing endings to the season. 12 win season though place us in a better position for post season success.

How did 5 win seasons work out for us . There’s no guarantees we find our next Franchise QB quickly or surpasses where we are now.

If you’re of the SB or Bust mentality then that’s fine . We are either totally suking or winning SB’s. But that’s not reality.

Most franchises don’t have a Brady or Mahomes and have to try and build around their Franchise QB as best they can.

How many years or decades do we go before finding our next Elite QB?

I introduce you to 5 win seasons and drafting Quincy Carter and being grateful Romo fell into our lap.

Amazing how many fans would have more hope with this Mgmt starting over.
Why not let Dak play out this year under his current contract? He was given the contract that he wanted back 2021. Let's find out if he is really sincere about being a Cowboy. I'm curious, if nothing else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Pony up for a quarterback who consistently fails to perform in the playoffs; yeah right.
Why not let Dak play out this year under his current contract? He was given the contract that he wanted back 2021. Let's find out if he is really sincere about being a Cowboy. I'm curious, if nothing else.
I’m not sure what you mean by sincere ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They have come a long way since then honestly, this team isn't a from the ground up rebuild. They have a promising, young OL, they have an elite pass rusher, a good young secondary. This year of rookies could bring Tank's and Martin's replacements as well as a linebacker.
Why wouldn't you be optimistic about the future?
Without a Franchise QB those other assets won’t be enough. In fact it could possibly waste the team which is built to contend now.

I understand the frustration but it’s likely to be worse without a Franchise QB. How many years will it take to find our next Franchise QB. This core of stars could be done by then .

I’m all for drafting our heir apparent and trading or kicking Prescott to the curb when he’s ready.

I think we could do both. Resign Prescott and draft our future. Which we should have already done .

Adreme

Reaction score
Without a Franchise QB those other assets won’t be enough. In fact it could possibly waste the team which is built to contend now.

I understand the frustration but it’s likely to be worse without a Franchise QB. How many years will it take to find our next Franchise QB. This core of stars could be done by then .

I’m all for drafting our heir apparent and trading or kicking Prescott to the curb when he’s ready.

I think we could do both. Resign Prescott and draft our future. Which we should have already done .
If you resign Dak it is going to be for either 4 or 5 years which means he is starting for at the very least 3 of those years. That means we are talking about a first round player who, by the plan made, will not see the field until year 4. That seems a little crazy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah I know. But if someone is going to pay me based on not having a better alternative right now, I'm not asking for market value. I'm asking for well above market value. You gouge the desperate. I've done it with cigarettes in the past.
Im not sure your cigarettes analogy applies here?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you resign Dak it is going to be for either 4 or 5 years which means he is starting for at the very least 3 of those years. That means we are talking about a first round player who, by the plan made, will not see the field until year 4. That seems a little crazy.
Not necessarily. For example after resigning Prescott if he continues to under perform in playoffs and our heir apparent is developing well we could be in position to trade Prescott.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My guess is Dak's plan is to try to put up some big numbers early and then go down with a bunch of nagging injuries. His shoulder will be sore..... plant foot tender...... anything to get him through the season to free agency without suffering the big injury. This team is on the brink of implosion.

Flamma

Reaction score
Im not sure your cigarettes analogy applies here?
LOL, I didn't explain. I'm a toll collector. There was a time I handed out tickets to those taking the roadway. Back around 2000. We no longer hand them out, machines do. Some people would ask me, do the rest areas have cigarette machines? I'd say no, because they didn't. But I would offer them a pack of mine. Back then a pack was like 2-3 bucks. I'd get 6. It would be akin to me asking for around 20 bucks now. You can't haggle with me, I don't care if you buy them or not. Dak is in a similar situation. He doesn't have to care either.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not necessarily. For example after resigning Prescott if he continues to under perform in playoffs and our heir apparent is developing well we could be in position to trade Prescott.
Who is going to give us draft picks for a 32 year old QB making 60-65M a year? This isn't a Matt Stafford situation.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I’m definitely advocating for the Cowboys to get a deal done with Prescott. I’m too old to watch them rebuild, and a QB that’s better than Dak isn’t going to fall out if the sky. It just irks Jones that he’s going to have to pony up ~$60MM/yr, but that’s what it’s going to take.
The problem is I'm too old waiting for the same thing to happen every year. Dak's panic attacks in big games are not going away. I guess it depends if you're satisfied with always being relevant with no chance to win or have a rebuild with little chance to win. Our problem is we are screwed as long as Jerry and Stephen are running the show.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Only if he gets rid of the no trade clause.

Steve007

Reaction score
No one is happy with disappointing endings to the season. 12 win season though place us in a better position for post season success.

How did 5 win seasons work out for us . There’s no guarantees we find our next Franchise QB quickly or surpasses where we are now.

If you’re of the SB or Bust mentality then that’s fine . We are either totally suking or winning SB’s. But that’s not reality.

Most franchises don’t have a Brady or Mahomes and have to try and build around their Franchise QB as best they can.

How many years or decades do we go before finding our next Elite QB?

I introduce you to 5 win seasons and drafting Quincy Carter and being grateful Romo fell into our lap.

Amazing how many fans would have more hope with this Mgmt starting over.
There is no guarantees when drafting a QB, but if you don't look you definitely wont find one. With Dak after 8 years you know what you have so it's time to move on. If the cowboys pay him 60+ it isn't going to make them better. Dak can look good against bad teams and in garbage time. He doesn't look good in the playoffs. We know the ending of this movie so lets watch a new movie with different characters.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
There is no incentive for Dak to sign here if he isn't signed at the start of the season. He'll chase the money.

Steve007

Reaction score
I agree. We should have drafted and been developing a heir apparent. Total poor Mgmt.

But we didn’t and haven’t. Are we that ready to throw in the towel without a more reasonable and hopeful replacement in place.

Why can’t we do both. Resign Prescott and draft our heir apparent. And if he develops quickly we dump or trade Prescott.

This team is built to contend now. Without a Franchise QB we become a bottom feeder or average non playoff team at best with no guarantee we find our next QB. Not sure why that’s more attractive to fans.
This team isn't going to contend for a Superbowl. They can make the playoffs but they are a one and done. They aren't getting to a NFCCG let alone a Superbowl.
It's time to pull the band-aid off and start to build for the future.

Flamma

Reaction score
If he continues to underperform, who is going to take on that contract?

Flamma

Reaction score
There is no incentive for Dak to sign here if he isn't signed at the start of the season. He'll chase the money.
This always fascinates me. At what point do you choose comfort and convenience over more money? Is it worth it if you're already comfortable? Do you go out of your way to chase higher pay if it really doesn't make a difference? Does the inconvenience supersede the extra pay? For some people it never does. This applies to regular people as well. But it's off topic, so I won't get into it. But some of these players nitpicking over a few million when they are already mega millionaires fascinates me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This team isn't going to contend for a Superbowl. They can make the playoffs but they are a one and done. They aren't getting to a NFCCG let alone a Superbowl.
It's time to pull the band-aid off and start to build for the future.
We don’t know that with absolute certainty. Only opinions by recent history which hasn’t been one and done every season.

I’m ok with moving on and building for the future . But let’s draft and begin developing the heir apparent before we cut off our nose in spite of our face.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is no guarantees when drafting a QB, but if you don't look you definitely wont find one. With Dak after 8 years you know what you have so it's time to move on. If the cowboys pay him 60+ it isn't going to make them better. Dak can look good against bad teams and in garbage time. He doesn't look good in the playoffs. We know the ending of this movie so lets watch a new movie with different characters.
I’m all for moving on once we have that new hope on the roster.

We should have already drafted and begun developing heir apparent. And that’s what I’d advise now . But I wouldn’t shuck this team without a Franchise QB until we do.

Unfortunately our options are currently limited because of Mgmt prior poor decisions .