The clock is ticking on Prescott

Flamma

Reaction score
You could. But teams this era don’t seem to want to draft and develop QB’s when they currently have a Franchise QB which I’d argue makes them more vulnerable not only on the field but at the negotiating table .
No argument from me. You have zero leverage. But these QBs will not accept less than market value following their rookie deal from the team that drafted them. They'd rather take a 1 year prove it deal from someone else, over taking less than market value from the team that drafted them. That's a bit of collusion the rookie QBs have. But they all abide by it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Im not here to make unsubstantiated speculations .

It’s unknown what the Market Price will be in 2025 FA. But it could be more than this year. This year hasn’t surpassed the 55 set by Burrows last year yet.

Will that translate into what Dak would be offered. It’s tough to say without knowing how he performs this year, any injury status and the teams who could be pursuing him.
It's not the market value we're dealing with in FA. It's a bidding war. It's safe to say Dak would get more in a bidding war. Look what Watson got in Cleveland.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It could be a Cousins situation.

And I’m not sure it couldn’t be comparable in a sense to Staffords situation who had very little success in playoffs with Lions but had fairly strong regular season stats.
Stafford had an elite arm. His ceiling was always viewed as higher and he was just stuck in Detroit. Dak is not that caliber of QB.

Falcons gave up no picks for Cousins. Just a contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stafford had an elite arm. His ceiling was always viewed as higher and he was just stuck in Detroit. Dak is not that caliber of QB.

Falcons gave up no picks for Cousins. Just a contract.
Like I said , their situation might be similar on lesser or under performing playoff teams but probably not their talent level. I’d definitely rank him above Prescott.

We’ll see but I suspect Prescotts value is probably more than some Cowboy fans feel.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Like I said , their situation might be similar on lesser or under performing playoff teams but probably not their talent level. I’d definitely rank him above Prescott.

We’ll see but I suspect Prescotts value is probably more than some Cowboy fans feel.
There's value for playing in Dallas. He wouldn't have the huge endorsement contracts if he was in most other NFL towns. He'd be Kirk Cousins doing local car commercials

Chasing6

Reaction score
Most likely he’d go to a lesser team. The better franchises have their QB.

So the prospect of going to a more average or bottom tier team isn’t quite as attractive given the money is close.
Steelers are looking like a legit landing spot to me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If he's not signing with us, I don't care how much he makes. I think he is going to get more than he deserves.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If he's not signing with us, I don't care how much he makes. I think he is going to get more than he deserves.
He'll get market value. Look at the money Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are getting. And those two in the playoffs make Dak's postseason stats look Hall of Fame worthy. Let me add Trevor Lawrence too. He's won one playoff game, and he did his best to lose it with four interceptions.

At this point you either pay your quarterback market value or you blow it up and rebuild. The Cowboys should just pay Dak. If they want to cut him in the future, just do it. Then the team can crater and they can get the top five pick to replace him.

People can hate Dak all they want, but they are winning too many games with him next year to be in position to draft his replacement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He'll get market value. Look at the money Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are getting. And those two in the playoffs make Dak's postseason stats look Hall of Fame worthy. Let me add Trevor Lawrence too. He's won one playoff game, and he did his best to lose it with four interceptions.

At this point you either pay your quarterback market value or you blow it up and rebuild. The Cowboys should just pay Dak. If they want to cut him in the future, just do it. Then the team can crater and they can get the top five pick to replace him.

People can hate Dak all they want, but they are winning too many games with him next year to be in position to draft his replacement.
Unfortunately this is the reality of the NFL. And why these type QB’s receive market value. Because most of these franchises don’t want to start over until they hit rock bottom.

Choking or under achieving in the playoffs isn’t hitting rock bottom. I realize it might be for some SB or Bust type fans but not owners trying to establish stability with a playoff caliber team and Franchise QB.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Probably but so do a lot of QB’s.

The bigger point is he has more value than some fans want to accept.
Exactly.

People want to explain three decades of failure by crawling into their little "Dak Sux" corner. When a prime Troy Aikman wouldn't have won that playoff game against Green Bay the way the defense played.

kskboys

Reaction score
They just obtained Wilson and Fields. Two former starters. Surely one of them will work out.
Fields has been absolutely awful as a starter for 3 years. I mean, just a mess. There is no logical reason for him to "work out".

Wilson: As long as they run a downfield passing attack w/ Wilson taking 7-10 step drops and a great running game, Wilson will be good. That is what SEA did, and that's what DEN did not do. You cannot play a 5-10 QB the same way you play a 6-2 QB. It's not anywhere close to the same.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly.

People want to explain three decades of failure by crawling into their little "Dak Sux" corner. When a prime Troy Aikman wouldn't have won that playoff game against Green Bay the way the defense played.
Prime Troy went 0-2 with E. Smith and Jerry was forced to cave.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lamar and Kyler are 27 year old, dual threat QBs. Dak is going to be 32 next July and can only threaten a defense with a lot of protection and a full compliment of offensive weapons. Maybe Dak can find someone to pay him 200M until he's 35. I just hope it's not Dallas. He wins a lot of games against bad teams but is sub .500 in his career against playoff bound teams while sporting a 2-5 playoff record. He's about as good as he's ever going to be and its not nearly good enough.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lamar and Kyler are 27 year old, dual threat QBs. Dak is going to be 32 next July and can only threaten a defense with a lot of protection and a full compliment of offensive weapons. Maybe Dak can find someone to pay him 200M until he's 35. I just hope it's not Dallas. He wins a lot of games against bad teams but is sub .500 in his career against playoff bound teams while sporting a 2-5 playoff record. He's about as good as he's ever going to be and its not nearly good enough.
Look at every QB over the past decade against "winning" teams. All are sub-.500 with two exceptions- Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fields has been absolutely awful as a starter for 3 years. I mean, just a mess. There is no logical reason for him to "work out".

Wilson: As long as they run a downfield passing attack w/ Wilson taking 7-10 step drops and a great running game, Wilson will be good. That is what SEA did, and that's what DEN did not do. You cannot play a 5-10 QB the same way you play a 6-2 QB. It's not anywhere close to the same.
I didn’t realize Fields had been a disaster all 3 years. I thought the first couple years Bears that they could build around him until they landed first pick to get Williams .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look at every QB over the past decade against "winning" teams. All are sub-.500 with two exceptions- Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes.
Yea , those type stats are just talking points. Most QB’s don’t have as much success against the better teams in general.

And the Cowboys playoff record as been dismal for almost 30 years.

Teams usually don’t release Franchise QB’s who consistently make the playoffs.

Cowboys are 5-10 in playoffs since 2000.
Quincy 0-1
Romo 2-4
Dak 2-5

Last edited: