The clock is ticking on Prescott

stiletto

Reaction score
Yea , and thats pretty much the story for most average to above average non Elite QB’s with non Elite defenses.

I’m not sure all fans can accept we aren’t or at least haven’t been a championship caliber team with or without Dak. We weren’t with Romo either. But we are a consistent playoff contender which is the first priority for franchises.

It’s really tough for me to think we can do much more with our dysfunctional ownership this era. There just aren’t enough Elite QB’s to go around .

Unfortunately this is probably our destiny Cowboy fans. Much like the last 30 years.
Not untrue but I do think you can eventually find a QB that plays big in the right moments. You have to keep looking. Dak was given plenty of time and to pay him Elite QB money would be dumb.

It's time to try to find the next one as hard as it is to let go of good/known regular season QB play. The goal is to win Championships.

Chasing6

Reaction score
And unfortunately that’s reality for most teams in the league. There just aren’t enough Elite QB’s to go around .

And we haven’t shown the ability to build a generational defense to carry us.

This might be about as good as it gets with our dysfunctional ownership and toxic culture.

There’s not another Mahomes out there to save us.
Mahomes is not a God. He plays for a well run organization and arguably one of the best Coaches ever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The average fan is clueless. The don't understand the game. The watch the ball snapped to the QB and only see the QB. They don't see the game actually being played. The camera follows around the QB. They don't know any different.
And the media focuses on the QB. It’s all revolved around it. You’re either a champion or a loser. They even started counting team wins as records of the QB. And Unfortunately it influences casual fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mahomes is not a God. He plays for a well run organization and arguably one of the best Coaches ever.
Fans weren’t so high on Andy until Mahomes arrived. They were a struggling playoff team.

They are a well run organization and were the entire 50 years in between Super Bowls.

stiletto

Reaction score
Mahomes is 15-3 in the playoffs with 4 SB rings. There's no confirming any excuses for Dak with Mahomes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
And the media focuses on the QB. It’s all revolved around it. You’re either a champion or a loser. They even started counting team wins as records of the QB. And Unfortunately it influences casual fans.
It's funny because it applies to no other position.

Barry Sanders is considered one of the best running backs of all time. Why is that?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not untrue but I do think you can eventually find a QB that plays big in the right moments. You have to keep looking. Dak was given plenty of time and to pay him Elite QB money would be dumb.

It's time to try to find the next one as hard as it is to let go of good/known regular season QB play. The goal is to win Championships.
I agree. I’ve argued for years we should have drafted and begun developing a heir apparent.

We knew Prescott was a tough negotiator and demanding more than he was worth.

What did we do to better place ourselves in a position to move on?

No, these fools we have as owners and GM actually believed Prescott is Elite.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's funny because it applies to no other position.

Barry Sanders is considered one of the best running backs of all time. Why is that?
I think they won maybe 1 playoff game while he was in Detroit. Same for OJ in Buffalo.

We are able to evaluate good talent on bad teams for every position but QB.

stiletto

Reaction score
I agree. I’ve argued for years we should have drafted and begun developing a heir apparent.

We knew Prescott was a tough negotiator and demanding more than he was worth.

What did we do to better place ourselves in a position to move on?

No, these fools we have as owners and GM actually believed Prescott is Elite.
Well I think they did make an attempt with Lance but that obviously has failed. They need to keep trying, draft now. Give McClay a chance to find us a QB in the draft.. They just have to go for it.

The $60+ million could add some nice pieces for a young QB too but I agree, this ownership won't want to spend it properly. That's a problem...The savings should be like 3 or 4 upgraded starters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well I think they did make an attempt with Lance but that obviously has failed. They need to keep trying, draft now. Give McClay a chance to find us a QB in the draft.. They just have to go for it.

The $60+ million could add some nice pieces for a young QB too but I agree, this ownership won't want to spend it properly. That's a problem...The savings should be like 3 or 4 upgraded starters.
I agree . I have no faith this leadership can find a QB. Lance is a great example.

Look at who we wanted to draft. Manziel and Lynch. And our top pick this century at QB was Quincy. But yes, we must keep trying.

But I’m not ready to start over. Not when we have a playoff caliber team despite our justified frustrations.

I’d argue we should do both. Resign Prescott and draft heir apply which we should have done these last 3 years.

If he develops fast then we can trade Dak. Either way it provides us options and more leverage moving forward without hitting rock bottom wasting a roster built to win now.

And the 60 mil isn’t actually what the Cap hit will be. Those are sometimes misleading numbers.

stiletto

Reaction score
I agree . I have no faith this leadership can find a QB. Lance is a great example.

Look at who we wanted to draft. Manziel and Lynch. And our top pick this century at QB was Quincy. But yes, we must keep trying.

But I’m not ready to start over. Not when we have a playoff caliber team despite our justified frustrations.

I’d argue we should do both. Resign Prescott and draft heir apply which we should have done these last 3 years.

If he develops fast then we can trade Dak. Either way it provides us options and more leverage moving forward without hitting rock bottom wasting a roster built to win now.
The problem is that Dak is a $$ pit. Given his statements and what his agent did last negotiation, I believe it is better for the team "long" term to let Dak walk.

It's going to be tough to swallow but with the way this last draft is looking with the OL and when they finally get CD done, it's not a bad environment should they draft a QB. He'll have good pieces around him starting out. CeeDee, Beebe, Guyton, Fergy, etc.

$60+ million is a lot to tie to a single known negative. When I say negative, I mean when it comes to being able to achieve the ultimate goal. Dak has proven he is not a solution.

Chasing6

Reaction score

And the 60 mil isn’t actually what the Cap hit will be. Those are sometimes misleading numbers.
You do realize that Jerry most likely believes if he drafted Johny Football it would have worked out differently.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The problem is that Dak is a $$ pit. Given his statements and what his agent did last negotiation, I believe it is better for the team "long" term to let Dak walk.

It's going to be tough to swallow but with the way this last draft is looking with the OL and when they finally get CD done, it's not a bad environment should they draft a QB. He'll have good pieces around him starting out. CeeDee, Beebe, Guyton, Fergy, etc.

$60+ million is a lot to tie to a single known negative. When I say negative, I mean when it comes to being able to achieve the ultimate goal. Dak has proven he is not a solution.
Yea but I’m not sure the ultimate goal is the primary goal. At least with our organization.

I think they fear hitting rock bottom and becoming irrelevant more than not winning championships.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You do realize that Jerry most likely believes if he drafted Johny Football it would have worked out differently.
And that’s a great example of his GM player evaluating. He also believes Prescott is Elite.

stiletto

Reaction score
You are gonna have to get over this Jerry stuff. He isn't going anywhere and neither is the heir (Little Enos). 15+ more years of these guys AT LEAST...We can only hope that Charlotte eventually takes over or sells the team. Might be the only chance we have.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yea but I’m not sure the ultimate goal is the primary goal. At least with our organization.

I think they fear hitting rock bottom and becoming irrelevant more than not winning championships.
Jerry's goal is to consistently hang out at the rim. He would rather win the Division every year and lose in the playoffs, then risk going up and down in and out of the playoffs by making a legit push at a SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are gonna have to get over this Jerry stuff. He isn't going anywhere and neither is the heir (Little Enos). 15+ more years of these guys AT LEAST...We can only hope that Charlotte eventually takes over or sells the team. Might be the only chance we have.
True but as a result we must also accept their ineptness and adjust our expectations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry's goal is to consistently hang out at the rim. He would rather win the Division every year and lose in the playoffs, then risk going up and down in and out of the playoffs by making a legit push at a SB.
Yep . He’s even stated as such.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

You can eventually find a QB that plays big in the right moments, but it could take a number of years. All you have to do is look around the league for proof of that. It took KC decades to find a QB after Len Dawson who could play big in the right moments. The Steelers went 21 years after Terry Bradshaw retired to hit on Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers have been struggling the last few years trying to replace him. Neither Russell Wilson or Justin Fields has impressed in preseason. Look at the struggles the Raiders are going through trying to find a QB. It was pick your poison for them this preseason, having to settle on Gardner Minshew. I’m sure that’s got Raider fans all fired up. Lol

Look at all the QBs they’ve gone through since Jim Plunkett trying to find a QB that can play big in the right moments. It’s hard for any QB to play big in the right moments when their team isn’t stepping up and they’re being outclassed. You’re one of those fans that doesn’t seem to get that. We saw what happened to Mahomes against Tampa in the Super Bowl a few years ago. If you honestly think the Cowboys are going to find a QB better than what they have now anytime soon, that’s going to overcome all the deficiencies this team has in postseason you’ll be sadly mistaken.

Some of you need to stop putting our postseason failures entirely on Dak. There’s a number of Hall of Fame QBs that have struggled in postseason because their teams weren’t good enough. Dan Marino was 8-10, Dan Fouts was 3-4 and Warren Moon was 3-7 in postseason and they were all first ballot Hall of Famers. John Elway was 0-3 in Super Bowls until he had a complete team. He was having a carry his teams, but it didn’t work in the Super Bowl against better teams. SF is 0-2 in their last two Super Bowls because they haven’t had a QB that can come up big at the right moment. All they needed was one big play from Jimmy G and Brock Purdy at the right moment and they would’ve beaten the Chiefs both times.

stiletto

Reaction score
You can eventually find a QB that plays big in the right moments, but it could take a number of years. All you have to do is look around the league for proof of that. It took KC decades to find a QB after Len Dawson who could play big in the right moments. The Steelers went 21 years after Terry Bradshaw retired to hit on Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers have been struggling the last few years trying to replace him. Neither Russell Wilson or Justin Fields has impressed in preseason. Look at the struggles the Raiders are going through trying to find a QB. It was pick your poison for them this preseason, having to settle on Gardner Minshew. I’m sure that’s got Raider fans all fired up. Lol

Look at all the QBs they’ve gone through since Jim Plunkett trying to find a QB that can play big in the right moments. It’s hard for any QB to play big in the right moments when their team isn’t stepping up and they’re being outclassed. You’re one of those fans that doesn’t seem to get that. We saw what happened to Mahomes against Tampa in the Super Bowl a few years ago. If you honestly think the Cowboys are going to find a QB better than what they have now anytime soon, that’s going to overcome all the deficiencies this team has in postseason you’ll be sadly mistaken.

Some of you need to stop putting our postseason failures entirely on Dak. There’s a number of Hall of Fame QBs that have struggled in postseason because their teams weren’t good enough. Dan Marino was 8-10, Dan Fouts was 3-4 and Warren Moon was 3-7 in postseason and they were all first ballot Hall of Famers. John Elway was 0-3 in Super Bowls until he had a complete team. He was having a carry his teams, but it didn’t work in the Super Bowl against better teams.
Well there is a flipside to your coin. It seems teams are having faster success with rookie QB's than they did back in the 80s/90s. Houston has turned it around pretty fast with Stroud. The Packers are doing it with Love. The kid in Washington looks like he's going to be a problem, although that remains to be seen. Caleb Williams is going to be good (i know, it's hard to get the #1 pick but maybe we should try??).

I think in general, QB's coming from college are more prepared to play in the NFL than they used to be. Especially the big school QB's. Everything is a crapshoot but sometimes it's also about the risks you don't take. It seems to me teams are having more success letting rookie QB's take over. I know it will be hard for guys like you to weather it but it needs to happen in Dallas too.