The clock is ticking on Prescott

shabazz

Reaction score
He would have to completely collapse. Which you never know…..
36 year old Kirk Cousins tore his achilles and it made NO difference

I don't see regular season regression coming but if it does happen , the first question a GM should ask himself is " is it because of the roster or the QB"

Is the offensive line not jelling? Is the offense one dimensional because of no running game? Is the qb just misreading or making bad throws?

Time will tell

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
JJ is prepared to pay a record breaking deal if Dak wins the Super-Bowl. In his mind there's no hurry. He'll just let Dak play out the season and prove he deserves it. Why pay full price now?

Dak's historic choke against Green Bay changed JJ's thinking.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
"We'll go as far as Dak takes us, and we did". Jerry Jones.

You guys think there is any negotiating going on between the two camps? lol
I guarantee you Jerry knows exactly what it will take to sign Dak. Team Dak isn't moving off that and Jerry clearly isn't offering it.

Will Jerry cave? Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely. Regular season stats aren't going to move the needle because those come in spite of the fatal flaws. The fatal flaws are exposed when it really gets real. The dysfunction on this team is off the charts. We don't get championship runs. We get a reality TV show. Will Dak get a big contract from someone next season or won't he? Stay tuned and here is a word from our sponsor.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
JJ is prepared to pay a record breaking deal if Dak wins the Super-Bowl. In his mind there's no hurry. He'll just let Dak play out the season and prove he deserves it. Why pay full price now?

Dak's historic choke against Green Bay changed JJ's thinking.
The whole team's historic choke should have hopefully changed JJ's thinking.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
New deal or not he is still under agreement for 2024 and that year doesnt just go away. Any 4 year deal he signs now will lock him up through the 2028 season. Still, and I can only guess as everyone else here can, but I would assume Dak is targeting Burrow level money. That in todays dollars is roughly $62M per year. Next years projected cap is closer to $68M.

Maybe Dak signs next week for $60M or less and makes me look foolish, but I get the sense he is aiming even higher.
Too much dead cap money left on his current contract.

$40 mil 2025
$12 mil 2026

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most Cowboys fans are in the middle? Sure about that?
When I mean the middle , that’s not extremist .

Fans in the middle doesn’t mean Prescott supporters. They are frustrated and critical with Prescotts performance in the playoffs and disappointments of the team.

But they don’t necessarily believe he’s not a Franchise QB and don’t necessarily believe we can’t continue trying to build around him. Their concerns are more around over paying him and where do we go from here if we do move on.

I’d describe these as moderate or more in the middle views.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No trade clause. JJ caved into agreeing to an incredibly handcuffing contract.
That just means the player has to agree to the trade. If someone is willing to pay Prescott $60 million plus a year, I’m sure he’d agree to waive it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he’s all about the money. If he’s traded and signed a new deal with the Raiders, he could likely pocket another $50 million signing bonus and close to $200 million guaranteed.
Yeah you can be all about the money but at the same time going to a good team that’s willing to pay you money is also smart. I’d be reluctant to go to Raiders team that is even more dysfunctional than Dallas.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
When I mean the middle , that’s not extremist .

Fans in the middle doesn’t mean Prescott supporters. They are frustrated with Prescotts performance in the playoffs and disappointments of the team.

But they don’t necessarily believe he’s not a Franchise QB and don’t necessarily believe we can’t continue trying to build around him. Their concerns are more around over paying him and where do we go from here if we do move on.

I’d describe these as moderate or more in the middle views.
Bingo. Dak is a very good QB. He is a steal at his current average annual salary, but I'm also extremely worried about paying him $60M per year, especially if its a shorter contract.

It wont be super easy to replace his production, but it also wont be easy to build around him at a higher rate. Its a complex issue that I wish more people would be open minded about to at least have civil conversations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If he wants to move on rather than prove himself by actually doing something in the playoffs then he needs to hit the road. He would allegedly rather move on because he can't prove himself, and he knows it.

And no, he won't be highly sought after. All of the strong teams have an established QB. The Dolphins aren't dropping Tua for Dak, the Bengals aren't dropping Burrow for Dak, The Bills aren't dropping Allen for Dak, the Jags aren't dropping Lawrence for Dak, the 49ers are not dropping Purdy for Dak, the Eagles aren't dropping Hurts for Dak, etc, etc.

Maybe a mid or bottom feeder might give Dak a decent deal, but they are not going to cripple their futures, and make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL.

If even Jerry is hesitant, then real football guys will know better, and want no part of paying Dak all time money.

The demand for QBs in the NFL is for YOUNG QBs with talent. Dak is old.
I don’t have a problem with him moving on.

And he doesn’t have to go to a good team. You’re right . They already have a Franchise QB. But there are several bottom feeder teams which would be willing .

If there’s demand for a Cousins , there will be demand for Prescott.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
36 year old Kirk Cousins tore his achilles and it made NO difference

I don't see regular season regression coming but if it does happen , the first question a GM should ask himself is " is it because of the roster or the QB"

Is the offensive line not jelling? Is the offense one dimensional because of no running game? Is the qb just misreading or making bad throws?

Time will tell
Well I say in regards to the money he’s looking for. If he tore his Achilles I think he’d get at the very least a Cousins deal but 60-65 million? Not so sure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If he wants to move on rather than prove himself by actually doing something in the playoffs then he needs to hit the road. He would allegedly rather move on because he can't prove himself, and he knows it.

And no, he won't be highly sought after. All of the strong teams have an established QB. The Dolphins aren't dropping Tua for Dak, the Bengals aren't dropping Burrow for Dak, The Bills aren't dropping Allen for Dak, the Jags aren't dropping Lawrence for Dak, the 49ers are not dropping Purdy for Dak, the Eagles aren't dropping Hurts for Dak, etc, etc.

Maybe a mid or bottom feeder might give Dak a decent deal, but they are not going to cripple their futures, and make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL.

If even Jerry is hesitant, then real football guys will know better, and want no part of paying Dak all time money.

The demand for QBs in the NFL is for YOUNG QBs with talent. Dak is old.
If Dak wanted to move on because he didn’t want to prove himself he would’ve been asked to be traded. He wants to leave because pure incompetence in the front office.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
If football is ultimately just entertainment, then I'm ready for something new and refreshing. Something different. I've seen the same movie 8 years in a row. Time for something else, even if it's not quite as good.

rambo2

Reaction score
The whole Dak and Lamb situations are just funny to me.

It's almost like Dallas doesn't want to sign them but give the impression they do want to sign them.

I suspect Lamb happens soon. Dak? I have no idea at this point. There has been a lot of Lance hype coming from Jerry and media friendlies. Is the front office laying the ground work for this being Dak's swan song?
On Lamb, it isn't a Dallas thing. It's a receiver thing with the NFL and the salary cap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bingo. Dak is a very good QB. He is a steal at his current average annual salary, but I'm also extremely worried about paying him $60M per year, especially if its a shorter contract.

It wont be super easy to replace his production, but it also wont be easy to build around him at a higher rate. It’s a complex issue that I wish more people would be open minded about to at least have civil conversations.
Yes, it is complicated. Both sides of argument has some valid points and concerns.

Unfortunately the extremes on both sides dominate the airwaves here. Minority voices often are the loudest. We certainly aren’t hearing from all of the 20,000 + fans on this site. And many fans stay away from the subject as a result of the extremes.

It’s why I’ve tried to provide a more moderate or middle of the road voice despite being attacked by the Homers and the Haters.