The clock is ticking on Prescott

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I really don't see the need for urgency. Even if Dak has a bad year his salary is set for 2025 as it just takes ONE team to pay it.

So what's different about now and January?

Him playing out the season is shrewd as he can only INCREASE his value if he has a great season. .....and if he gets hurt, he still gets a contract. ( a la Kirk Cousins)

The combination of Jerrg not having a REAL PROVEN alternative at the QB position AND being completely owned by Daks contract has him with only 2 alternatives
This ^^^^^^ you are exactly right. There is a good chance $54-55M will be his 2025 floor regardless of what happens this season.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Once Lamb gets signed I expect Dak’s deal to get done shortly after. Jerry gets enamored by the moment and if they come out of September 3-1 and Dak’s playing well he will get it done.

And as Stephen says, “These things have a way of coming together at the very last second”……

These aren’t my wishes, but you have to think like Jerry thinks. He’s the ultimate decision maker and he uses his heart too much in these situations instead of his gut.
Lamb will get signed. I dont think Dak will. His price will either be the same or maybe a little lower after the season is over. Depending on how the season goes. Its a gauntlet schedule. I would keep all these young pieces on the OL, TE and Defense together and upgrade the DT position in the 25 draft. 2025 draft team could be focused on 3 things. New QB, RB and DT. Beck, Sanders, Ewers and Milroe will be available.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
That may be true, but the problem is that we seem to have a fairly decent team here but as soon as Dak gets to the playoffs he immediately craps the bed. He was awful against GB. The final stat line says he was serviceable but he didn't start putting up those numbers until GB had the game in hand and started to back off. It's his MO at this point. Stat pad against lesser teams and in garbage time, play terribly against the better teams.
Almost every player and coach sucked in that GB loss, it was a total team letdown, they were not mentally prepared. If the Cowboys would have played some Defense in that game, the results would probably been much better. Yes, Dak tried to do too much in that game, but his team mates created the pressure-cooker.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Almost every player and coach sucked in that GB loss, it was a total team letdown, they were not mentally prepared. If the Cowboys would have played some Defense in that game, the results would probably been much better. Yes, Dak tried to do too much in that game, but his team mates created the pressure-cooker.
Facts.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Since he was drafted for some.

Hilariously proven wrong again and again.
Man......this is true
For some, we would draft his replacement after his 2nd year or no way in hell he is getting a 2nd contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but he could get that in free agency. Might as well bet on yourself. Raiders are terrible. I’d wait to see if I can find other suitors. Raiders are about to suck and they should make sure they stink. They should be sellers.
That involves waiting a year for that new deal. A lot could happen between now and then. Good and bad.

The Raiders defense finished very strong last year, and they do have two highly drafted TE’s and one of the league’s highest paid receivers.

The one thing they’re lacking is quarterback.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe but he can probably get more than $60M in free agency next year. If he is really about maximizing his money he is probably seeing if he can get a 2-3 year deal just in time for one last new contract too. I'm guessing along with everyone else, but I really think that $60m is on the low end of what Dak is looking for.
If he’s traded now, he can get his new contract THIS YEAR. And four years becomes three years for him to get that next deal.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Yep. It would be ironic if we did make a deeper run and he left anyway. And we’d deserve it.
He will gain more leverage if he somehow can do so. In terms of deserve it? Pretty clear we need to move on from our QB, and if so, some very lean years are to follow trying to find our QB

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
If he leaves it won’t affect my fandom one bit. I’m just not sure how easy it will be to replace a pro bowl level qb that did well in MVP voting.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If Cowboys don’t have a deal signed within 16 days, the beginning of regular season, by most estimations this will be his last season in Dallas.

I know many fans feel he’ll be playing this season for a new contract but most accounts are if he needs to prove more to the Cowboys Mgmt he’d rather move on.

And most critics and analysts would argue he will be highly sought after despite some fans and detractors who cast him off as damaged goods , a less than franchise QB. Just too much demand for QB’s in the NFL.

I’m not advocating for resigning him but simply pointing out what the altercations and impacts could be . We shall know soon what the direction is for the Cowboys moving forward . And that decision could very well derail hopes this season will be more than a dumpster fire and potential disaster with a lame duck HC and QB which presents so much uncertainty. We’ll need an extra bag of popcorn:)
If he wants to move on rather than prove himself by actually doing something in the playoffs then he needs to hit the road. He would allegedly rather move on because he can't prove himself, and he knows it.

And no, he won't be highly sought after. All of the strong teams have an established QB. The Dolphins aren't dropping Tua for Dak, the Bengals aren't dropping Burrow for Dak, The Bills aren't dropping Allen for Dak, the Jags aren't dropping Lawrence for Dak, the 49ers are not dropping Purdy for Dak, the Eagles aren't dropping Hurts for Dak, etc, etc.

Maybe a mid or bottom feeder might give Dak a decent deal, but they are not going to cripple their futures, and make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL.

If even Jerry is hesitant, then real football guys will know better, and want no part of paying Dak all time money.

The demand for QBs in the NFL is for YOUNG QBs with talent. Dak is old.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak was smart he ask for a trade before the season begins or sit out.
Cause his value will drop like a rock as the season progresses

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If he leaves it won’t affect my fandom one bit. I’m just not sure how easy it will be to replace a pro bowl level qb that finished well in MVP voting.
LMAO! You guys won't give up that MVP fan fiction.

And we easily replaced an identical QB in Romo. Replacing mid QBs who can't get anywhere when it matters are easily replaced.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That involves waiting a year for that new deal. A lot could happen between now and then. Good and bad.

The Raiders defense finished very strong last year, and they do have two highly drafted TE’s and one of the league’s highest paid receivers.

The one thing they’re lacking is quarterback.
I don’t like what they have in receiver running back aside from Davante who I believe is 32.

Unless they plan on running some two tight end sets they went overkill with tight end.

With no offseason…it’s in Daks best interest to stay in an offense he’s familiar with and have your choice of what team you want. If he wants to vet Raider I’d think he would rather go there next year then let them trade their first rounder for him. Unless he hates it here.