The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they had hired someone without significant DC experience he absolutely would have been more of the walk around HC who played more of the old school 'coach the coaches' role. No way they give that role to a guy like Al Harris for example and just wish him the best of luck as a 1st time DC.
So you think that if a first time coordinator was hired McCarthy would have spent some of his time coaching defense?

Tell me you think this.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I hear a lot of whining and know it all negativity about Zimmer, but I don’t see many geniuses naming other young hot shot DCs we should have hired. We are not in rebuild mode, so we were never going to hire a position coach who has never been a coordinator before. Zimmer had good defenses in Dallas and in Minnesota. He had Barr as a rookie LB and used him rushing the QB from all directions. Maybe he went into the interview with a complete and balanced defense and a comprehensive plan for utilizing our personnel, especially Parsons. Maybe McCarthy liked what he heard and is all in.
I think the thing is that we expect the team to find and target high potential coaches. None of us know jack **** about good coaches beyond the stuff we read, hear, or see. But you expect your football people who are responsible for making decisions to be able to know the up and comers, hidden gems, overlooked coaches.

But we don't actually have football people in charge. And that's why it's so easy to pick apart everything they end up doing.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Not thrilled about this hire at all, but no good DC was coming in Dallas under a lame duck HC.

Rayman70

Reaction score
tav0ghg.gif
nepotism is King in Dallas.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Awesome. Vrabel was the guy I wanted but I’ll take a “take no ****” “no nonsense” guy to turn the hot Boyz into a dedicated give your all, not making stupid mistakes team. We have the talent on that side off-ball. Add a slobber knocker off-ball tackling machine LB and maybe a DT and this defense can be what many thought it was this past year.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Not thrilled about this hire at all, but no good DC was coming in Dallas under a lame duck HC.
You realize there is no reason for us to have a lame duck HC, except for Jerry making it so, right?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Only in moronville is prior head coaching experience necessary for a defensive coordinator.
There was no good solution to this awful situation they got backed into…which is still all weaved within an impossible one.

Doesnt matter which way they went and you know that well.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
ZImmer is a logical hire. He's run successful defenses in the past and carries experience in multiple systems. Hopefully he still has it and the drive to be successful.

I do think back to the Monte Kiffin hire, but Zimmer is 6 years younger and a couple years removed from the position vs Monte who was 5 years removed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So you think that if a first time coordinator was hired McCarthy would have spent some of his time coaching defense?

Tell me you think this.
Absolutely. You think a head coach isn't signing off on game plans for both sided of the ball? I guarantee he does that even with a Zimmer or Dan Quinn in charge. You put a 1st time DC in that role and it becomes more in depth than that. The idea that a head coach can only be involved in one side of the football means you've hired a really bad head coach.

John813

Reaction score
Not excited about Zimmer. First time I can remember Jerry hiring a DC that he fired. I can’t think of anyone he fired that he brought back.
Dave Campo came back as the secondary coach in 2008

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Shocking - for those unfamiliar with previous front office decisions by the Dallas Cowboys. The Jones’ saw their guy and got him. You can only speculate as to when the decision was actually made. Personally, I thought they would hold off on the announcement until next week. THAT part surprised me.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Awesome. Vrabel was the guy I wanted but I’ll take a “take no ****” “no nonsense” guy to turn the hot Boyz into a dedicated give your all, not making stupid mistakes team. We have the talent on that side off-ball. Add a slobber knocker off-ball tackling machine LB and maybe a DT and this defense can be what many thought it was this past year.
If we could just make it all season without hearing the term 'Hot Boyz' I'd take that as a win in itself.