The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely. You think a head coach isn't signing off on game plans for both sided of the ball? I guarantee he does that even with a Zimmer or Dan Quinn in charge. You put a 1st time DC in that role and it becomes more in depth than that. The idea that a head coach can only be involved in one side of the football means you've hired a really bad head coach.
What kind of defensive adjustments do you think McCarthy will make this year?

The edit button is your friend.

Swagger

Reaction score

Seemed like the Vikings players stopped playing for him in the end culminating in two losing seasons. Do players want some old grandpa shouting at them with 18th century tactics or a modern DC down with the kids yet still getting maximum effort and execution from his men like Mike MacDonald...

tomokawan

Reaction score
Awesome. Vrabel was the guy I wanted but I’ll take a “take no ****” “no nonsense” guy to turn the hot Boyz into a dedicated give your all, not making stupid mistakes team. We have the talent on that side off-ball. Add a slobber knocker off-ball tackling machine LB and maybe a DT and this defense can be what many thought it was this past year.
We don't have the talent. We need big DT, Linebackers, a Safety.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's going to scare the crap out of me when McCarthy is fired after the season and this sissy is interviewed for HC.
Why would that scare you?

If there is anything that Jerry Jones (and his son) crave is attention.

An interview with Zimmer after the season is over would be of no consequence.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Am I surprised? No. Excited? No. It’s pretty much what we always do these days.
But I am a Cowboys fan. So all we have is hope.
Hoping Zim can be successful.
He's been a good coach, so all we can do is hope for the best. He's had some successes and some failures, so we'll see what we get. We've got some good building blocks for him to work with (Parsons, Diggs, Bland), a few other quality defenders like Lawrence and some areas that need strong improvement talentwise. No DC is going to do any better than Quinn did if the front office doesn't go out and get the talent needed to succeed.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Why would that scare you?

If there is anything that Jerry Jones (and his son) crave is attention.

An interview with Zimmer after the season is over would be of no consequence.
Get ready for the return of Jeff Fisher.

Verdict

Reaction score
This hire doesn’t move the needle. Screams “familiarity” and “keep the band together”.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No guarantee drafting another DT will make up for the mistake. It could lead to another mistake.
I'd like to see us strongly address DT in free agency, but I don't expect it. Hankins went from unwanted where he was to our best DT because of how poorly we've addressed the position. Time to upgrade if we want this defense to be any better.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
we takin steps back this year guys. Writing is on the wall.
This is true. We will not see the turnovers anywhere close to what we have seen these players accomplish in the last few years.

The thing to remember is how much that actually mattered. It may have won a few games here and there against poor opponents. The turnover trait tended to disappear against better competition.

I am not trying to advocate support for the hire. I am trying to make it make sense since Zimmer's philosophy is so unlike what we have hitched our wagon to in terms of defensive identity.

The only real problem is if the defenders have more of an issue reading and reacting versus playing loose street ball as they have under Quinn. It cannot be denied that Zimmer will have a different eye towards making mistakes.