The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

Swagger

Reaction score
I think Jerry brought him in to make himself feel young. Roll back the years and all that.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Quinn is a players coach, more buddies than a disciplinarian, Zimmer will get into player faces an demand they know the plays and be better prepared......
NOT a fan of the previously known coach Zim.

But there is nothing wrong with an in-you-face motivator.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I hear a lot of whining and know it all negativity about Zimmer, but I don’t see many geniuses naming other young hot shot DCs we should have hired. We are not in rebuild mode, so we were never going to hire a position coach who has never been a coordinator before. Zimmer had good defenses in Dallas and in Minnesota. He had Barr as a rookie LB and used him rushing the QB from all directions. Maybe he went into the interview with a complete and balanced defense and a comprehensive plan for utilizing our personnel, especially Parsons. Maybe McCarthy liked what he heard and is all in.
I suspect that McCarthy was really pushing for someone with some experience and it seems former HC experience. He had it with DQ, we know Rivera was the other name floating around. Having someone who can truly own the defensive side of the ball frees up McCarthy to really spend the majority of his time working with the offense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect that McCarthy was really pushing for someone with some experience and it seems former HC experience. He had it with DQ, we know Rivera was the other name floating around. Having someone who can truly own the defensive side of the ball frees up McCarthy to really spend the majority of his time working with the offense.
Under what scenario would McCarthy have to take time away from the offense to help out the defense? Any DC hired would be owning that side of the ball.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Zim will be ready to move into the HC position as soon as Jerry gives the word.

We Like Our Guys!!

dupree89

Reaction score
figures. Jerry settled on a man desperate for a job that wont muddy up the water.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Jerry must have seen that thread about how Zimmer was on the last Super Bowl team. Must have put him over the top.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I hear a lot of whining and know it all negativity about Zimmer, but I don’t see many geniuses naming other young hot shot DCs we should have hired. We are not in rebuild mode, so we were never going to hire a position coach who has never been a coordinator before. Zimmer had good defenses in Dallas and in Minnesota. He had Barr as a rookie LB and used him rushing the QB from all directions. Maybe he went into the interview with a complete and balanced defense and a comprehensive plan for utilizing our personnel, especially Parsons. Maybe McCarthy liked what he heard and is all in.
I honestly don't what mode we're in. We're not in a rebuild, but we're also not that serious about winning with a lame duck HC and a DC who's been out the league since 2021

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Under what scenario would McCarthy have to take time away from the offense to help out the defense? Any DC hired would be owning that side of the ball.
If they had hired someone without significant DC experience he absolutely would have been more of the walk around HC who played more of the old school 'coach the coaches' role. No way they give that role to a guy like Al Harris for example and just wish him the best of luck as a 1st time DC.