The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
This is a nightmare. Never blitzing, dropping seven in coverage on 3rd and longs, I could not wait to get rid of him. He stuck early on as he had Deion and only had to cover half of the secondary, no one threw at prime. 2003 he had horses. That was it. He's never won anything at any level.

This is a boring do nothing move. As if the end of the season was not a mess enough, we have now traded Quinn for Zimmer. Unreal. The turnovers will plummet and the aggression will be out the door. Ugh... "Zimmer's record as the team's defensive coordinator was 49-63-0, making him the second-least successful defensive coordinator in Dallas Cowboys history. The team made it to the playoffs two times (2003, 2006) and had a 0-2 record under Coach Zimmer in playoff games." https://pro-football-history.com/franchpos/20/8/dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator-history.

Total mess.

Still angry.

L-
You do know coaches evolve over 17 years? Marvin Lewis taught Zimmer how to change his scheme to be more aggressive which is why he got the Vikings job. I doubt he goes back to playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 2

Trajan

Reaction score
Going to be a very long season…time for other hobbies.

rambo2

Reaction score
we dont even have good DTs to run this system,this will ruin our defense and everybody will get fired and its back to square one.
They are going to add a defensive tackle or 2.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I respect the totality of Zim's career, but yikes this is a meh hiring.

The only thing I like is that it gives us a competent interim when the team quits on Fat Mike next season and he has to be fired mid-season.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Zim will do a nice job. But for those who don't love the hire, take some comfort in knowing when the D screws up Zimmer will be saying the same things to that player that we are screaming at our TVs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Zim will do a nice job. But for those who don't love the hire, take some comfort in knowing when the D screws up Zimmer will be saying the same things to that player that we are screaming at our TVs.
In a way Zim is the perfect hire for the way this team likes to roll. He’s safe for the owner, he’s definitely done some good things for sure in the past, but he’s more about the past than the future. He’s good but not great, safe and available, and willing to work in and among the circus.

He’s a 9-8 kind of hire. Not a 13-4 hire. It’s an “around the rim” hire, not an above the rim hire.
But hey…Hope I’m wrong.

MikeT22

Reaction score
They are going to add a defensive tackle or 2.
From where? One of the first 3 rounds of the draft? We also need a C, LB, RB, OT, DE and WR.

Or on day three of the draft? Or a low end FA?

There's a difference between adding a DT or two and adding one who will be a quality starter.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In a way Zim is the perfect hire for the way this team likes to roll. He’s safe for the owner, he’s definitely done some good things for sure in the past, but he’s more about the past than the future. He’s good but not great, safe and available, and willing to work in and among the circus.

He’s a 9-8 kind of hire. Not a 13-4 hire. It’s an “around the rim” hire, not an above the rim hire.
But hey…Hope I’m wrong.
Have you ever gone up for a dunk only to be slammed by the rim? It kinda feels like that :laugh:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Excellent hire.

A DC/HC who knows how to coach football players.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Not the sexy hire that your typical CZ wet-behind-the-ears member wants, but as long as Zimmer has any energy left, could be the best hire for the time being. You want an old-school hardass that will bring some 90s style discipline to the defense? Zimmer is who you want.

DanA

Reaction score
I just don’t get why so many old dudes are candidates for top jobs in todays society in general. I mean, mental decline typically starts around 50 y.o and accelerates around 70.

I’m not hugely against this hire but it’s just such a contrast seeing such a meritocracy on the field and then an old boys club off it.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

But hey…Hope I’m wrong.
His coaching for the Vikes was impressive.

Kwyn

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, /r/nfl and /r/minnesotavikings seem to overwhelmingly think this is a good hire.

Last edited:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Not the sexy hire that your typical CZ wet-behind-the-ears member wants, but as long as Zimmer has any energy left, could be the best hire for the time being. You want an old-school hardass that will bring some 90s style discipline to the defense? Zimmer is who you want.

we dont