The Dak Thread **merged**

Shinaoi

Reaction score
You’re exactly right. They really should look at Daks strengths and cater the offense around his abilities. I don’t understand why he’s not getting out of the pocket and letting plays develop.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Rush or White could make the offense look at least "better". Just a smidge of consistency would change things fairly dramatically. Not saying they could take us to the promised land but how long do you keep wasting everyone else's efforts due to Dak's complete failure to balance the offense with passing.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was never as good as the 2016 stats suggested to begin with. His deficiencies were masked by alot of Really talented players helping him look much better. Add the chaz green effect and he has killed his own confidence to lead this team with his arm.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not my intention to create a "Dak bashing" thread, but given his recent struggles, I thought it would be interesting to go back to see if there were warnings signs for some of them. It was shocking to read this draft profile. Take a look at this excerpt and tell me if these are not the same things we're frustratingly witnessing three year later:

WEAKNESSES

Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

Is it me or does this stuff look to be eerily on the nose?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
You can bring in any coach you want. Any OC you want. That will not change the fact that Dak is a very limited QB. No HC can win with him in his current state. In 2016, he had no pressure on him (mental). He played loose and did a good job. But right now, he is all over the place. He doesn't seem to able to make the same throw two times in a row. When he rolls out, his mechanics are horrible. When he drops back, it's 50/50 on his mechanics. Some blame the Atlanta game. I saw if he lets one game define his career, then that's on him. Garrett will be fired, Scott will be fired, Dak will be extended and we will still not sniff a SB because you can't compete with this type of player at QB in the NFL. Get rid of Dak, get a real QB in here and you will see how much of a difference that makes.

waldoputty

Reaction score
there are 3 things that i see:
1. he was never the most accurate. there is one stat that argues against this and that is dak having the most tight window throws. i dont know how to reconcile this.
2. he was spoiled with an incredible ol that gave him 8 secs to pass. combined with rpo, he is used to having time to make more complex reads while only having to make quick reads on simple rpo plays. that led to a conservative approach that gave him the rookie minimum interception record. this conservative approach also matches the coaches' conservative approach thinking all we need to win is execute and overwhelm with 1st round ol. this amount of ol security actually has a detrimental effect on dak as he did not have to abide by the 3 second dropback. as the ol regressed, dak was shocked by the pressure but unable to adapt. he is now fighting with an average ol.
3. not reading the defense at the line - this one is hard to explain as dak does not seem dumb. you would have expect that he would improve, but perhaps he is overwhelmed with the other problems.

we will probably play dak for the rest of the season as rush is a noodle and white simply does not look ready.
can he unlearn the 8 second drop for a 3 sec drop?
why is he not making the right reads and does that have to do with having to make protection calls at the line also with tfred out?
doing more west coast plays should help with accuracy limitations.
more rpo may make him more comfortable.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The
Isn't it sad that the folks in this forum know football better than the FO/coaching staff of the most valuable franchise in sports?

It's amazing to me that these coaches can't see it.
Coaches are paid to perform an agenda from Jerrah.

Not much independent thinking here.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Need to fix the offense before you bring a rookie in here. And no rookie is going to play over Dak and you know it. And are we really going to find a stud rookie QB with the 15th pick in the draft? Will never happen.

If the Houston game is an indication, bring in a better QB and you mostly fix the offense. Prescott had protection, the play-call was good enough or the receivers were open enough to make plays against the Texans' secondary. Missed opportunities kept us from controlling the game.

Unless we play even more poorly, I agree that it will be hard to find a stud rookie QB with our pick, so we would have to either trade up or try something else. That's why I want to try Mike White. Spectacular failure means an earlier draft pick. Spectacular find means we don't have to use a first-round pick on a QB.

Dak isn't the answer no matter what else we need to do with the offense. I thought there was a possibility that he might develop into the answer, but I no longer see reason to believe that.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I agree that Dak has to improve, but
With a terrible coaching... it all collapses ,

Every QB can improve; but if your coaching staff is inept, how will he improve.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Can't fix what he doesn't have which is awareness, analytical skills, and accuracy. I call it the three A's of being a successful NFL caliber QB. He's never had it and never will. Time to bench the kid and move on.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
12 games pro bowl and playoffs, not sure you understand Aikman got better every year Dak gets worse every year can you say RGIII , would everyone on this board who would take Dak over Aikman for the first 3 years please post it here, I can believe it will be many in fact may only be you. I can not believe you really believe it.
Only a delusional Dak hater would take Aikman his first 3 years over Dak. As a career sure Aikman is by far the better QB but his first 3 years were terrible.

Aikman
9 TDs 18 picks
11 TDs 18 picks
11 TDs 10 picks

Daks rookie season better than Aikmans best season. Difference was coaching and a much better team surrounding Aikman. Anybody that says they rather have Aikman over Dak the first few years is blinded

tm1119

Reaction score
I suggest you look at his videos from college .

Different player who succeeded pretty well with no Pro Bowl talent in front to of him.

He has been destroyed under Linehan.

He is gone soon I hope.

Lol college tape? You honestly think that Miss St offense is anything close to something that would translate to the nfl? Let’s get Tebow or Vince Young as our starting QB then if we’re going for go by college tape.

Brax

Reaction score
Only a delusional Dak hater would take Aikman his first 3 years over Dak. As a career sure Aikman is by far the better QB but his first 3 years were terrible.

Aikman
9 TDs 18 picks
11 TDs 18 picks
11 TDs 10 picks

Daks rookie season better than Aikmans best season. Difference was coaching and a much better team surrounding Aikman. Anybody that says they rather have Aikman over Dak the first few years is blinded
1-15 was a better team? Aikmans team were built from nothing not Daks already loaded team, can't imagine what would be if Troy stepped into Daks team, and yes most would take Troy's first three years not the 1 and done of Dak. By the way not a Dak hater, just a realist. Believe what you want but Dak isn't fit to carry Troy's jock strap.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Coaching Matters.

Matt Cassel was drafted by the Patriots in the seventh round of the 2005 draft. He played four seasons with the Pats, starting 15 games during the 2008 season when Brady tore ligaments in his knee in the season opener. New England went 11-5 .